Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt: George Thomason is first team material at Bolton Wanderers now

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt: George Thomason is first team material at Bolton Wanderers now 14863918

George Thomason has graduated from first team prospect to a genuine midfield contender in the eyes of Ian Evatt.

After watching the 21-year-old turn on the class in Saturday’s 3-1 win against Charlton Athletic – his first league start of the season – Evatt said Thomason had fully warranted his inclusion in the side.

Thomason had started just eight times for Wanderers in 2022 but got the nod ahead of Aaron Morley, Josh Sheehan and Kyle Dempsey as Evatt altered his side’s approach to include man-for-man marking.

“I’m sure that was questioned pre-match,” said the Bolton boss. “But I have a huge amount of belief in them all and I thought the way George has been performing in training and the opportunities he has had in games, he has taken them all with both hands.

"Today he showed everyone what a good player he is.”

Thomason is actually the only player to have played first team football at Wanderers this season who was not signed by Evatt himself.

Keith Hill had brought the former Blackpool trainee to the UniBol in January 2020 after a stint in non-league football with Longridge Town.

It had been speculated that Thomason could be sent out on loan this season to aid his development – but Evatt maintains the youngster has earned the right to be regarded as a part of the senior squad.

“For me he is a fully-fledged first team player,” he said. “That sometimes happens when you are a young player at a club. Sometimes you’re frowned upon a little bit and they want to see other people in the team.

“But I am blessed with some brilliant options. Aaron Morley has not started today, Kyle Dempsey has not started today, Josh Sheehan has not played today in that midfield area and all three would probably start for most League One teams.

“We are blessed in that area, but I think the world of them all and they just need to trust me with the right selection for the right game.”

Evatt played Thomason alongside MJ Williams in midfield, with Kieran Lee playing a more advanced role. And he felt the result – which lifted the Whites up to eighth in the table – shows he made the right call.

“The team I selected today was based around how I thought we could affect Charlton, in possession and out of possession. Sometimes managers get it right, sometimes they get it wrong and today I think I got it right.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum