Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is George Johnston any good?

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Is George Johnston any good? Empty Is George Johnston any good? Thu Sep 15 2022, 13:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

George Johnston has been praised for a “fantastic” start to the season in League One.

Ian Evatt believes his former Liverpool defender is fulfilling his promise at the University of Bolton Stadium, having played every minute of every game in League One so far.

Johnston was the stand-out player in Tuesday night’s 2-0 win at MK Dons and having improved the physical side of his game over the summer, is now showing his technical ability on the pitch.

“As a young player he is still learning and developing and there are still lots of things we can work on but he has had a fantastic start to the season,” he told The Bolton News.

“I think defensively his understanding of the game is excellent for a young man. His one v one defending in large spaces is really good too, and I’m pleased for him that people are recognising that. He deserves it, and he’s a great lad.”

Johnston was Wanderers’ young player of the year last season and Evatt believes the 24-year-old will improve further with experience.

Asked where he felt Johnston could focus his efforts, the Bolton boss added: “Just sometimes his pass decision, that’s all.

“There are lots of good things out of possession with George that I am really pleased with. It is just in possession, composure and his angles and when to play forwards and when to play safe. He is a young player and he has a bright future. We are lucky to have him.”

Having beaten Charlton, Evatt was happy to use a similar approach at Milton Keynes.

The Bolton boss admits a more open and expansive game suits his side – and that there will be different challenges ahead.

“They won’t all be like this,” he said. “Teams that try and build from goalkeeper and there’s lots of movement, lots of rotation.

“It gave us the opportunity to see the fruits of our labour in pre-season, the out of possession stuff, and I think the way we executed the gameplan, the way we stuck to our men individually with the amount of rotation that was going on was really disciplined.

“We regained the ball so many times high up the pitch. If we can just start being more clinical on those regains and in those transitional moments then we are going to be a good team. But we can’t have everything. It’s still very much a work in progress.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Well, what do you think?

2Is George Johnston any good? Empty Re: Is George Johnston any good? Thu Sep 15 2022, 13:58

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I think it's a fair assessment.
He is young and does seem to be progressing in a positive way. If we continue to retain our players we could build a strong core who are used to playing with each other.
Our style if play relies much more on a team who understands each other so it's important to let them build and grow.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

3Is George Johnston any good? Empty Re: Is George Johnston any good? Mon Sep 19 2022, 09:05

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Lies, damn lies and statistics or so they say.

I saw these stats on Johnston fwiw.

4Is George Johnston any good? Empty Re: Is George Johnston any good? Mon Sep 19 2022, 09:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't particularly rate any of our centre-halves individually, but as we have the joint best defensive record in the league it seems they aren't too bad playing together.

5Is George Johnston any good? Empty Re: Is George Johnston any good? Mon Sep 19 2022, 21:24

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Sluffy wrote:Lies, damn lies and statistics or so they say.

I saw these stats on Johnston fwiw.

Stats make me skeptical.

Look at the % of aerial duels won.
41%.
But the bar is very tiny and nowhere near the average line.
George would have to be winning something like 450% of duels to be an average defender according to that?

Or am I reading it wrong?

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

6Is George Johnston any good? Empty Re: Is George Johnston any good? Tue Sep 20 2022, 11:05

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's only young and reminds me in some ways of Cahill when he first arrived - not as good, but with a similar approach to defending i.e. throwing in blocks and tackles, carrying some attacking threat, but questionable positioning at times and not always tracking properly especially movement at set pieces.

In Cahill's case he was all over the place until he was partnered with Sam Ricketts who basically taught him his trade but when he got the positioning side right, he was sold on because it made him into an excellent defender.

Unfortunately Johnston doesn't have an experienced head to play alongside and learn from so it may retard his progress, but he does seem to be getting better and I have high hopes for him. He has the physical attributes, but he just needs to learn the positioning/marking side of the job.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum