...and on my return I notice that the number of posts and discussions has shrunk like the stream via an enlarged prostate so I thought I'd ask where folk are going for their jollies?
This time I went to Malta and Gozo - first time for me.
* impressive limestone architecture throughout, especially the fortifications and religious buildings.
* average 28+ degrees at this time of the year
* loaded with history given it's strategic location
* rammed with impressive Catholic religious iconography and cathedrals - St Paul was shipwrecked there
* visited loads of neolithic temples dating back to 4k BC, catacombs throughout the ages, Knights Templar/Knights Hospitaller, Arabic and Phoenician stuff
* Language is a mix of Arabic, Italian and English so confusing for linguists but 93% speaks English
* Hired a car - 11 euros a day. Petrol 1.34 euros/ltr! Diesel 1.26/ltr
* Stayed in Rabat (arabic for suburb) which is adjoined to M'dina (arabic for town) - beautiful with 5 Michelin restaurants although generally the food is Italian - orientated.
* Small - saw it all in two weeks and probably won't be going back - but for history/military/religious/sun/foodie fans it's definitely worth seeing.
Planning to go (finally) to Jamaica in January but BA have stopped flying to Montego Bay and travel company are being barstewards about finding alternative direct flight, even though hotel is booked. We'll see.
Anyone else going off for some winter sun?