Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Owen Coyle remembers Reading play-off final in 1995

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Former Wanderers boss Owen Coyle says the 4-3 win against Reading in the 1995 First Division play-off final was one of the best moments of his career.

Coyle was on target with a clinical header as Bruce Rioch’s side came from behind to secure a memorable victory and return to the top flight.

Fabian de Freitas bagged a brace, with Mixu Paatelainen also getting on the scoresheet during extra time.

Coyle felt the Whites’ team spirit was crucial that day as they fought back from 2-0 down to send the fans into dreamland at Wembley.

He told Under the Cosh Podcast: “We went to the play-off final against Reading. I had played every game up to that, and so much so that even in the final (Bruce Rioch) put John McGinlay wide right, myself and Mixu through the middle and Alan Thompson wide left.

“We’re 2-0 down after 20 minutes and Reading missed a penalty to make it 3-0. Had they scored, I don’t think we would ever have come back.

“But the spirit we had, the team and the comradery. Even in the difficult moments, that is where you see team spirit.

“It is easy when you are winning – everybody joins in, they are the life and soul of the party. It is when you get the difficult moments, that is when you see the characters.

“I managed to score at Wembley, which was any kid’s dream in Glasgow. We used to see the FA Cup final and everybody wanted to play at Wembley.

“We went on to win the game 4-3 and it was a brilliant experience.”

The game proved to be the end of an era at Wanderers, with Bruce Rioch leaving the club to take up the managerial position at Arsenal.

Coyle would also leave Burnden Park the following season to return to Scotland for a second spell at Dundee United.

The 56-year-old explained: “Was I ever going to be a week in, week out Premier League player in England? I don’t think so. I just wanted to play.

"You train every day to have a game at the weekend. I had a few opportunities here and there, and then Dundee United came in. I went back to play every week.”

He added: “In the Premier League, our salary improved. But ultimately, if you are a footballer and you are now playing on Saturday, that is the biggest thing for me.

“I think I dropped salary four or five times just to go and play. I just loved the game and I wanted to play.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum