Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wanderers aren't getting carried away with cup chances, says Afolayan

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers aren't getting carried away with cup chances, says Afolayan 16263838

Dapo Afolayan says Wanderers have benefitted from “a tough couple of days” following their 4-0 in against Manchester United Under-21s.

Ian Evatt’s men secured their place in the Papa Johns Trophy quarter final following an emphatic display against United’s youngsters.

The result saw the Whites return to winning ways following a frustrating defeat at Shrewsbury over the weekend.

Afolayan says they have been “trying to put a lot of things right” in training and reckons confidence has been restored ahead of Saturday’s clash with Exeter.

The forward said: “It was good to get the win and get through to the next round of a competition.

“It was a tough test against a good side really, a team full of good players and players who will go on to have good careers.

“It was about getting that first goal and it came a bit later than we wanted it. But once it came, I think we settled into it even more.”

He added: “We have had a tough couple of days as a group, really looking at ourselves and trying to put a lot of things right.

“I think tonight was a good opportunity for us to get a step in before Saturday when we go again in the league.

“Having a good performance tonight, it allows us to go into that game on Saturday with more confidence and obviously try to put things right and get more points on the board.”

Afolayan opened the scoring in the second half, pouncing on a defensive error and keeping his cool to go round United keeper Nathan Bishop.

“I did something similar against Ipswich last year,” he explained. “(It is) just anticipating it really.

“I just saw him going to head it and went on my bike and got there just before the goalie, and then had to steady myself and finish.”

Wanderers are now two games from a potential trip to Wembley in the final, but the forward isn’t getting carried away.

He refuses to look past their League One run-in, with matches against Derby, Barnsley, Plymouth and Portsmouth coming up before the end of January.

“We are just taking everything as it comes,” Afolayan added. “This time of year is tough for everyone, a lot goes on in the football world around this time of the year.

“It is just about focusing on whatever is next and taking each day as it comes.

“We will see who we get in the draw but for now we are focusing on the tough run of fixtures we have got ahead.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum