Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Will Aimson: I thought about leaving Wanderers but football changes quickly!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will Aimson: I thought about leaving Wanderers but football changes quickly! 16328477

Will Aimson is getting ready to face his former employers Plymouth Argyle – but admits this January window could have been very different!

At the start of December the 28-year-old defender had dropped out of the reckoning after a hamstring injury, and was considering a move away from the University of Bolton Stadium.

His fate was changed when club captain Ricardo Santos was rushed into hospital with a respiratory virus and a week later Gethin Jones also dropped out of the reckoning through injury.

The back three of Aimson, Eoin Toal and George Johnston were initially described as ‘makeshift’ but have conceded just one goal in four games, giving them a solid case to keep the starting spot even after Santos and Jones have returned.

It is all in the life of a footballer, says Aimson, who could easily have been examining his options this month.

“There might have been a few thoughts about it – and it’s funny in football, things do change so quickly,” he told The Bolton News.

“You go from having a hamstring problem and trying to get back into the squad to that happening to Rico and Geth getting an injury as well. All of a sudden you are throw in, you are playing, and it is starting to look really positive.

“It can change really fast. At the moment I am enjoying it, taking things game by game.

“We are in the window but I am not thinking about anything other than the important fixtures we have coming up.”

Aimson’s recent performances have been praised to the hilt among Bolton’s supporters – but he has been careful not the believe his own press.

“I tend not to read and listen to anything because it doesn’t do you any good,” he said.

“There will always be negative things written about you somewhere, there will be positive stuff, but there are only a couple of opinions that matter and they are those in charge of the club.

“I just keep my head down and so long as we get results and I’m putting in decent performances, that is the main thing.”

Aimson’s only league starts before December were against Morecambe and Cheltenham Town, his role consigned almost entirely to the cup competitions as respite for Santos.

Whilst Wanderers have rotated elsewhere on the pitch, centre-half has remained a relatively stable position until recently, but the former Bury man has tried to make an impact in other ways.

“It isn’t as if they are going to throw me on off the bench to get a goal!” he smiled. “Yeah, you are either playing or you are not. It is difficult and it is frustrating.

“You have to keep your head down and I have tried to get behind the lads who are playing. I am always talking, and if I can see things at half time or after the game, I’ll offer my opinion.

“I have tried to help the younger lads, Eoin Toal especially, and it is even easier now that I am playing and got the younger defenders either side of me. I am in the game with them and direct them a little bit – not that they need it because they have been doing really well, but I always offer it.

“Over the last two or three years it is something I have tried to do more.

“I talk to everyone. I’d like to think I’m a friendly guy and easy to talk to, so I like to help, especially with boys in my position.

“I’m 28 now so I am getting to that stage where I can be a leader. You don’t have to be a captain to be a leader. If you have five or six like that it’s brilliant.”

Will Aimson: I thought about leaving Wanderers but football changes quickly! 16328480

Aimson was one of several players who left Bury to join Plymouth under Ryan Lowe’s stewardship in 2019/20, helping them to promotion from League Two.

The club has since made great strides, with current boss Steve Schumacher taking them close to the play-offs last season before making a sensational start to the current campaign.

“He’s a good guy and we still keep in touch a bit,” Aimson said of Schumacher, who had been Lowe’s assistant at Plymouth and Bury. “I don’t think he’ll be speaking to me this week, though, at least until after the game.

“I think the club is really unique. Geography does play a part, and it is so out of the way it is like a big family down there. Football is what they have got.

“The atmosphere is brilliant at home – and it is a bit like it is here, when the fans are behind you, they are really behind you. They travel well and do a lot of miles.

“I enjoyed my time there and I’m looking forward to it. But I don’t want to build them up too much!”

Wanderers are looking to register their first win, or even goal against Plymouth since 1993, and Aimson believes home support will be vital.

“I have played here before for an away team and when the crowd do get behind the team it is daunting,” he added. “It is loud and it is a great atmosphere.

“We call upon them and they always answer.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum