Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Bolton 3-0 Portsmouth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MATCH REACTION: Bolton 3-0 Portsmouth Empty MATCH REACTION: Bolton 3-0 Portsmouth Sun Jan 15 2023, 09:46

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Bolton 3-0 Portsmouth 16355758

Ian Evatt watched his Wanderers chalk up a seventh clean sheet in eight games and admitted: “I’m still thinking about the one that went in!”

Goals from Dion Charles, Kieran Lee and Eoin Toal ensured a hassle-free victory against Pompey which gives them a six-point cushion on the play-off chasing pack.

Once again the result was built on a rock-solid defensive display with James Trafford able to add his 13th clean sheet of the season.

Only Lincoln City have punctured Bolton’s defences since December 10 – a goal Evatt joked he still has nightmares about – and though Michael Morrison missed one gilt-edged opportunity for the visitors in the first half, the points were rarely in doubt all afternoon.

“We worked really, really hard on the out of possession stuff since pre-season, so it is great to see it come to fruition,” said Evatt.

“It was a tough game. After playing Portsmouth on Tuesday it was always going to make this game slightly more difficult because they knew all about us, our patterns of play and when you haven’t got a manager, sometimes it gives their players a bit of freedom and gives them a free hit.

“Second half on Tuesday we’d gone ahead but then let them grow into the game in the second half. This time we scored a really good goal in the first half but then seemed to think we’d got the job done and took our foot off the gas. At half time I asked the players to keep the intensity in the game, keep moving the ball, keep asking them questions and they did exactly what I asked for.

“We got the two goals pretty quickly and then saw the game out comfortably.”

Evatt had made six changes in midweek but brought back all six into his league line-up.

Dan Nlundulu replaced the injured Jon Dadi Bodvarsson just before half time when the Icelandic striker rolled his ankle – and injury which is likely to keep him out of action for a couple of weeks.

“I trust every member of the squad and I feel awful when, for instance, Owen Beck or Kieran Sadlier aren’t getting minutes coming off the bench. It is a really hard thing to keep people on board and keep them happy,” Evatt said of the changes.

“The squad is in a really good place. I trust them all – the ones who got the job done on Tuesday and then being able to refresh things to continue doing well in the league. You can see, especially in the midfield area how dynamic Kieran Lee and Kyle Dempsey were at times. That is because we didn’t have to go to the well with them again on Tuesday, they were able to play at full speed and energy and we really needed that. It was a pleasure to see.”

Eoin Toal capped off another encouraging performance with his first home goal, a fine finish from the edge of the box.

“It was a really good goal,” Evatt said. “That freedom to move up the pitch and rotate is pretty much what defines us as a team and it was an excellent finish.

Asked if he expected any transfer activity over the weekend, Evatt added: “Not at the moment. I’d think that things would develop early next week in terms of ins and outs, but for now there isn’t anything to speak of.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum