Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Charlton Athletic boss Dean Holden on his time at Bolton

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Charlton Athletic boss Dean Holden on his time at Bolton  16342808

Charlton boss Dean Holden says his side have to be “bang at it” if they are to get something against Wanderers this weekend.

The Addicks have been in good form since Holden took charge at the Valley, winning their last three league matches.

The Whites also enter the game in high spirits following their hard-fought victory against Forest Green on Tuesday night despite playing more than an hour with 10 men.

Holden told South London Press: “They have been with Ian for a good while now and they’ve had some success together.

“He’s got a well-established philosophy and play a really expansive style in a 3-5-2. They have some really good players in those attacking positions.

“They did a job on us earlier on in the season. They are always going to be a difficult game. They are a big club in this division, aren’t they? We have to be bang at it. They are a good football side.”

The Charlton boss began his playing career at Wanderers, making his professional debut under Sam Allardyce.

He went on to have spells with Oldham, Peterborough and Shrewsbury among others before hanging up his boots.

“I was there from the age of 13 until I was 21 or 22,” Holden added. “I was there through my teens – leaving school, youth training scheme and then turning professional. I had to fight for it.

“There were players at my age, Under-16s, who were guaranteed two or three-year professional contracts at the end of their YTS. I was just on a two-year YTS.

“Then it all took off. Big Sam took over and gave me my debut. I played in a League Cup semi-final, double legged, and FA Cup quarter-final.

“Unfortunately, it ended for me on the back of a broken leg. I came back from that, just in time for the superstars to arrive in your Djorkaeffs, your N’Gottys, your Hierros and Jay-Jay Okocha.

“I had a year left on my contract. I spoke to Sam Allardyce and he was honest. They’d gone to the Premier League as well, and I probably needed to go out and get games to get my career going as well.

“I’ve got a lot of really, really strong memories of that period of my life. It’s a brilliant club that were always incredible with me. There are still a lot of people I still speak to, which you don’t necessarily get with every club you’ve been at.

“Even at the weekend at Derby, I was speaking to one or two board members who had been there at the time I was there. It’s that type of club. I’ve been back four or five times this season to do local radio work and I always get treated very well, myself and my family.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum