Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kieran Lee 'one of my best signings' at Bolton - Evatt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Kieran Lee 'one of my best signings' at Bolton - Evatt 16453645

The quiet man of the Wanderers dressing room has found his voice – and Ian Evatt couldn’t be more delighted.

Those who have watched back some of the behind-the-scenes footage of the 5-0 win at Peterborough United might have spotted that during the celebrations for Dion Charles’s third goal of the day, even Kieran Lee got caught up in the emotion.

The wise old head of the Bolton midfield is not one to covet the spotlight but his recent form alongside Kyle Dempsey, Aaron Morley and newcomer Shola Shoretire has delighted coaching staff, who feel they have struck a good balance with the workload they are putting on his 34-year-old body.

“We think the world of him and I think we have figured out how to get the best of him, how to manage him,” he told The Bolton News.

“He doesn’t need to play and start every game. But we get him fresh and he goes again, he is able to reset, and he is vitally important.

“I actually saw young Marcus’s footage from one of the goals, and I think it’s the first time I have ever heard him shout when he said: ‘Get in!’ “It was great to see because even Kieran has got the buzz.

“It isn’t usual for him because every morning you’ll ask how he is doing and it’s a case of ‘yeah, OK” but I love working with him.”

Lee is out of contract at the end of the season, by which time he could potentially have topped 100 games for the club.

Signed in League Two – still a scarcely believable coup a couple of years on – Evatt is happy to see the former Sheffield Wednesday man’s influence spread around the squad.

“His game intelligence of when to press, how to press and how aggressively to press is fantastic. Just the way he glides and drifts into space throughout the game is so intelligent, and Shola Shoretire has a bit of that as well. They are naturals at it and know where to be.

“I think Kieran is a brilliant example for all of our midfield players. Sometimes the space is away from the ball, and you need to drift away from the ball and not crowd it. He is a top player and one of my best signings here, I’d say.”

At 19, Manchester United loanee Shoretire is the youngest member of the first team squad at Wanderers. After a tough game against Cheltenham in his last appearance at the UniBol, the young playmaker bounced back with a terrific display at Peterborough, winning Bolton’s two penalties on the day.

Evatt is pleased to see his January signing winning over hearts and minds.

“I am so happy for Shola because it isn’t easy when you come to a big club like this,” he said. “There were parts of the fanbase who wrote it off, who couldn’t understand why we’d let Dapo leave and bring in a young loanee but I think now people are starting to see why. And that is important.

“He gives us flexibility. He can play 10, probably as an eight, as a false floating nine, which gives opposition teams a big problem when you have also got Dion Charles stretching them and looking to run in the other way – do you stick or twist?

“He is a very talented young man and we are fortunate to have him.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum