Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'I am enjoying my football again' - Mbete loving life at Wanderers

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'I am enjoying my football again' - Mbete loving life at Wanderers 16457716

Luke Mbete has enjoyed a dream start to life at Wanderers, but the young defender is keeping his feet firmly on the ground.

The Manchester City loanee made his debut in the 5-0 victory at Peterborough and also featured against MK Dons on Tuesday night, scoring his first goal in senior football with a clinical header.

But Mbete is prepared for a tough test against Wycombe this weekend as the Whites aim to extend their winning streak and keep the pressure on the top two.

“The feeling is good, but our focus is on the next game on Saturday. We go step-by-step and we don’t look too far forward,” he said.

“We need to keep our focus. Every game is a new challenge and I feel like as a team, we are ready for that.”

Mbete has a point to prove following a difficult loan spell at Championship side Huddersfield during the first half of the campaign

The England Under-21 international played six times for the Terriers, who currently find themselves in the relegation zone.

But Mbete believes he learned a lot from his experience at the Yorkshire club and is determined to keep improving over the coming weeks and months.

“I think through the difficult moments we have to take the positives,” the 19-year-old added.

“I feel like I didn’t just learn as a player but as a person as well. These will be things that I will never forget in my career.

“You can never be too down in life and you can never be too high when good things happen. I think when bad things happen, the only thing you can do is look forward and try to affect yourself and be better.”

Mbete has already made his senior debut for City, coming off the bench in a Champions League fixture against Sporting Lisbon during the 2021/22 campaign.

He also featured in a couple of cup ties against Swindon and Saturday’s opponents Wycombe earlier that season.

Mbete is in regular contact with his parent club and is relishing the opportunity to experience League One football at the University of Bolton Stadium.

The centre-back says he is now enjoying his football again and hopes he can nail down a place in the side despite the strong competition for places at Wanderers.

'I am enjoying my football again' - Mbete loving life at Wanderers 16458300

“They want me to be a better player than I was when I left,” he explained. “We are always in contact, they are helping me a lot, which is what I need.

“Every young player needs experience and playing time. I am happy that I am getting it here.

“I am enjoying my football again, which is important. And I am developing as well.”

Mbete’s Bolton move was confirmed on deadline day after his loan spell at Huddersfield was cut short.

The youngster admits it was a tough decision but reckons he is now in the right place as he continues his development.

“It was a big decision, not just for me but for my family as well,” he said. “Obviously, I was at Huddersfield before but it didn’t work.

“I kept my faith in God and I am happy that he directed me to Bolton and I have started well.

“I have settled in very well. The lads have been really good, they welcomed me well. The manager, the staff, everyone. It has made me feel comfortable.

“Obviously, the standard is very high. We play against good teams week in, week out so we have got to be focused and ready for the challenges ahead.”

When Ian Evatt signed Mbete, he predicted that the defender’s ability on the ball would make him a natural fit for the Whites’ style of play.

The 19-year-old has embraced Wanderers’ expansive system and is eager to contribute at both ends of the pitch.

“I really like it, keeping the ball and the centre-backs going forward,” he added. “I think that is something I have always wanted to add to my game.

“I am doing that more here, which could lead to assists and goals. I always want to help the team and contribute.”

Now that he has got off the mark in senior football, Mbete hopes he can continue to be a threat from set-pieces.

However, his main focus is on keeping opposition attackers at bay and preserving Wanderers’ impressive defensive numbers.

“We have been working on it in training so I am happy that it worked out in the game,” said the youngster.

“I hope I do (get more goals), but my main focus is to defend and to keep clean sheets. Obviously, a goal is always a bonus. I am happy that I scored my first goal and contributed to the win.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum