Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aaron Morley on Wycombe 'hiccup' and potential Wembley return

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Aaron Morley on Wycombe 'hiccup' and potential Wembley return 16476380

Aaron Morley is eager to get back to Wembley – and this time he wants to be in the thick of the action.

Morley travelled to the famous venue during his Rochdale days to face Tottenham in an FA Cup fifth-round replay back in 2018. The London outfit were using it as their temporary home at the time while a new stadium was being constructed.

The Dale were beaten 6-1 by their Premier League opponents that day and the midfielder was left out of the matchday squad.

Despite not getting any time on the pitch, Morley made the most of the experience and is now determined to return to the capital with Wanderers.

“I didn’t play. I was still young, I think I had just turned 18 when I went,” he told The Bolton News. “It was a long time ago and I wasn’t in the squad. It was a frustrating one to lose but it’s Tottenham after all.

“I travelled with the squad. I was hoping I would get on the bench because I wasn’t a regular starter then. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t my time.

“I took a few pictures on the pitch and stuff. It was a great experience. We made it 1-1 and for the first 20 or 30 minutes, we were right in it. But obviously with Premier League opposition, they were always going to take over.”

Wanderers are now just one step away from a first Cup final since 2004, but North West neighbours Accrington stand in their way.

The Reds are typically hard to beat at the Wham Stadium, and Ian Evatt’s men had to work very hard to take all three points when the sides met back in October.

Kieran Lee and Dapo Afolayan were both on target, as well as a Harvey Rodgers own goal, as the Whites came from 2-0 down to secure a memorable victory on the road.

Morley is expecting another difficult game against John Coleman’s side but is encouraged by the Whites’ performance earlier in the season.

“It’s quite a tight pitch and they play very direct, so it is similar to Wycombe,” he added. “Hopefully, we can get our head round it and put in a good performance.

“I think it would have been a lot of pressure if we didn’t get that result (earlier in the season).

Aaron Morley on Wycombe 'hiccup' and potential Wembley return 16076454

“I think going two down and scoring late to make it 3-2 really helped us, and hopefully we can get into the final on Wednesday.”

Wanderers had won five successive games prior to Saturday’s 1-0 defeat against promotion rivals Wycombe at Adams Park.

Morley labelled the result a “hiccup” in their bid to keep climbing the League One table.

The 22-year-old says they cannot afford to dwell on the past and is keen to return to winning ways on Wednesday night.

“It hurt a lot, but we have just got to put it behind us now,” he explained. “That game is gone, we can’t change that. Hopefully, we can put a good performance in on Wednesday.

“There are a lot of expectations on the game for us. We have just got to shut that out of our heads and concentrate like it is any other game. Hopefully, we can do that and get to the final.”

The Whites have shown a big improvement from set-pieces in recent weeks – something the midfielder has played a key role in.

And Morley knows how important dead ball scenarios could prove to be come the end of the campaign.

“I am practicing them all the time in training. Hopefully, I can put one in the top corner again,” he grinned.

“Pete (Atherton) was on at me a few weeks ago to just hit the spaces on corners and free kicks. I have just been practicing that every day after training, and it is coming good with practice.

“It can with us the game sometimes, just one set-piece. We are just practicing every day, and Rico scoring helps! I think (against MK Dons) we scored three, so it really helps.”

He also won the club’s Goal of the Month prize for his stunning free kick against Charlton several weeks ago.

The 22-year-old has already scored some impressive goals in his short career but believes it was the best of the lot.

“When it hit the post I thought, ‘Oh no, it has just missed’. But then it dropped in the other side,” he said. “It is probably the best of my career so far.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum