Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers: Ian Evatt's challenge after Plymouth Argyle win

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers: Ian Evatt's challenge after Plymouth Argyle win 16628116

Ian Evatt says Wanderers need to get “back down to earth” following a dream day at Wembley in the Papa Johns Trophy final.

Things couldn’t have gone much better on the pitch, with Kyle Dempsey, Dion Charles, Elias Kachunga and Gethin Jones all getting on the scoresheet in front of the 34,000 Bolton fans who made the journey down to the capital.

But Evatt stressed they still have a job to do, with eight games to go before the end of the League One season.

The Whites are right in the mix for a play-off spot and have big games coming up against Exeter and Cambridge.

“It is going to be hard to get the players back down to earth again and refocus, but we are going to work tirelessly hard to make sure that we do,” said the Bolton boss.

“Days like today are addictive and we have an opportunity to get back here in May.

“But first we have to work very hard over the next eight games to make sure we are in the play-offs, and then have the opportunity to come back in May. That is our aim, that is our ambition. We will enjoy it but refocus pretty quickly.”

Skipper Ricardo Santos has been one of the biggest success stories since Evatt took charge at Wanderers and was imperious at the heart of defence against the Pilgrims.

“I’m delighted. From two weeks away from being an Amazon driver to lifting a trophy at Wembley three years later is some story,” the boss added.

“But he has dedicated his life to football. He has really bought into the culture of the football club and the way we want to do things, and he has blossomed – as many of them have. I am very proud of them.”

It was also a day to remember for Gethin Jones after an extremely difficult period following the death of his mother.

“I said to him before the game, I lost my grandad a few years ago - he was very close to me and a big part of my footballing journey – and he would be here today with us,” Evatt explained.

“And also Gethin’s mum, who was a huge part of their family, the heartbeat of their family. To lose her the way they did, it was a tragedy.

“But she was here today supporting him and I am sure she would be immensely proud of what he has achieved.”

Kyle Dempsey received plenty of praise for his performance against Steven Schumacher’s side, but Evatt insists it was a team effort.

“Every player was outstanding,” he added. “Everyone executed their roles and responsibilities exactly how we worked on and talked about.

“The gameplan was great, we had time to work on it and the detail that the players went into – to execute that detail is first class. I am proud of them all. Kacha and Demps in particular I thought for outstanding.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum