Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

James Trafford has taste for success after Papa Johns Trophy win

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

James Trafford has taste for success after Papa Johns Trophy win 16633036

James Trafford has lofty ambitions in the game but will always remember his first trophy with Wanderers.

The Manchester City loanee kept a clean sheet at Wembley as Ian Evatt’s men cruised to victory against Plymouth.

He didn’t concede in any of his four appearances in the competition this season, with Joel Dixon also playing several games.

Trafford has gone from strength to strength since his arrival at the UniBol over a year ago and relished the opportunity to play at Wembley.

The 20-year-old told the EFL website: “We set out at the start of the competition to win it. It’s the first competition I’ve won and been a major part of. You’ll always remember your first one and that’s what we’re going to do.

“We back ourselves to keep clean sheets every game. We knew that if we could be clinical and score goals, we backed ourselves to win. I only had one or two shots to save, so we did really well as a unit to keep the clean sheet.”

He added: “It was always a realistic target for us to get to the final. When we beat Accrington, it was a relief because there was a lot of pressure and we were expected to win.

“Being on loan, it’s a good experience for me and that’s what I’m here for. It’s a good milestone and something to look back on when we’re older. It means a lot to me to play at Wembley – it’s the one significant stadium in England.”

It wasn’t the first time the youngster has been part of a matchday squad at Wembley, having made the bench for Manchester City in the Carabao Cup semi-final against rivals Manchester United back in 2021 after Scott Carson was sidelined by Covid.

James Trafford has taste for success after Papa Johns Trophy win 16633060

However, he much preferred being in the thick of the action rather than having to watch from the sidelines.

“I was at all these big stadiums doing the warm-ups and I was even at Wembley for the Carabao Cup,” he explained.

“I knew in the moment that it was probably the last time I was going to be on the bench because I always want to play.”

No goalkeeper in League One has kept more clean sheets than Trafford since the start of the campaign.

He has loved his time at Wanderers so far, and it was clear to see what the club means to him during his celebrations after the final whistle at Wembley.

“I love all the staff. Even with the playing staff, it’s a different relationship to the non-playing staff,” said the charismatic shot stopper.

“I’m really close with the kitman (Ted Moulden), the sports scientists and physios. They’re all people I’ll continue to speak to even after the summer.”

Trafford also featured for the England Under-21 side against France and Croatia during the international break.

The 20-year-old believes he has what it takes to make it on the international stage one day and hopes Sunday was the first of many appearances at the national stadium.

“My ambition is to be the number one for England one day, which I think I will be,” he added. “In the Under-21s, our target is to win the Euros in the summer.

“It’s a dream come true to have made my debut for England at the younger ages. As a kid, you don’t know what club you’re going to be at one day, but you’ll always be English and that’s the only national team you can play for.”

The future looks bright for the Manchester City loanee, but his footballing journey could have been very different.

Trafford even had his heart set on becoming a midfielder during his time in hometown club Carlisle’s youth ranks.

“Looking back now, I was probably never going to be kept on and get a contract,” he explained.

“My dad always used to put my goalie gloves in the car because my mum used to take me to training. He always said I was a really good goalkeeper and I was like, ‘yeah, but I want to be a midfielder.’

“One day, they needed someone to go in goal. I said, ‘Go for it, I’ll go in.’ They must’ve been impressed because they went to the goalie coach, Ben Benson, who is now at Blackburn Rovers, and asked if I could join his session.

“My dad had no clue about football and he still doesn’t really know too much now. If there’s one thing in the world I’ve got to thank him for, it is telling me I was a good goalie.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Footballer enjoyed winning trophy and wants to play for England.

Wow. Just wow. I thought every footballer's dream was to play for Accrington Stanley. Thanks to the BN I now know differently.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum