Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trinity Way May 1976

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Trinity Way May 1976 Fri May 26 2023, 09:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Trinity Way May 1976 16816539

We think this photo should stir some memories of how times have changed in Bolton.

This picture was taken in May 1976 before Trinity Street Station moved to its new position.

You can also see very different shops on the right hand side of the picture to the ones to what is there is today.

Do you remember any of the shops that were there at this time?

Source

2Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Re: Trinity Way May 1976 Fri May 26 2023, 12:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I think there was an old cinema at the traffic lights (bottom right of the picture).

I think it may have been one of those used for those who watched the Bollywood films (I'm trying my best not to say something that may be taken as being unintentionally racist)

The Railway Hotel was over the bridge on the same side of the road with the junction of Newport Street - I once had a pint in there before it was knocked down.

I also remember a footbridge that linked Newport Street to Great Moor Street that went over the railway tracks.  I could never understand its purpose as it seemed a great amount of trouble to build and maintain just to save a few minutes extra walk - I assumed whatever its original purpose was had changed over the years long before my time.

3Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Re: Trinity Way May 1976 Fri May 26 2023, 15:43

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i have a very vague memory of the old train station but i would have only been 4 or 5 in 1976, when did it move to the other side of the road?

4Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Re: Trinity Way May 1976 Fri May 26 2023, 16:30

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Norpig wrote:i have a very vague memory of the old train station but i would have only been 4 or 5 in 1976, when did it move to the other side of the road?

In 1987 work began on demolishing the station and relocating it on the north side of Newport Street at its junction with Trinity Street, linking with a new bus station.

https://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/a-trinity-st.html

5Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Re: Trinity Way May 1976 Fri May 26 2023, 17:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:
Norpig wrote:i have a very vague memory of the old train station but i would have only been 4 or 5 in 1976, when did it move to the other side of the road?

In 1987 work began on demolishing the station and relocating it on the north side of Newport Street at its junction with Trinity Street, linking with a new bus station.

https://www.boltonrevisited.org.uk/a-trinity-st.html
The bus station was only built in the last few years.

The train station looks like it was in a better position in the first place too.

No doubt the original land it sat was sold off at the time.

6Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Re: Trinity Way May 1976 Sun May 28 2023, 12:13

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:I think there was an old cinema at the traffic lights (bottom right of the picture).

I think it may have been one of those used for those who watched the Bollywood films (I'm trying my best not to say something that may be taken as being unintentionally racist)

The Railway Hotel was over the bridge on the same side of the road with the junction of Newport Street - I once had a pint in there before it was knocked down.

I also remember a footbridge that linked Newport Street to Great Moor Street that went over the railway tracks.  I could never understand its purpose as it seemed a great amount of trouble to build and maintain just to save a few minutes extra walk - I assumed whatever its original purpose was had changed over the years long before my time.
Trinity Street was a grand old railway station and the starting point for many an away day to watch the Wanderers. What a comedown it was when I first saw what it was replaced by.

My eldest brother was married at Trinity Church in 1962. He and his wife got a card from the Queen for their 60th wedding anniversary shortly before she died last year.

The cinema was the Queens, often frequented by Lady Bobsworth and I in our courting days.

Diagonally opposite to the Queens was Leon's Coffee House. Temperance bar or early forerunner of Starbucks et al?

7Trinity Way May 1976 Empty Re: Trinity Way May 1976 Mon Jun 12 2023, 09:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here is another view of Trinity Way that has just been posted on the BN although with the train station being on the opposite side...

Trinity Way May 1976 16872947

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum