Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Such a massive club' - Jack Iredale on Bolton project

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Such a massive club' - Jack Iredale on Bolton project 16791932

Jack Iredale is relishing a return to action next season and admits playing for Wanderers comes with a sense of “disbelief”.

Iredale has been out of action since January after having surgery on a knee injury suffered in the goalless draw against Derby.

The 27-year-old had been a regular starter for the Whites during the first half of the campaign, making the left wing-back spot his own.

During his time on the sidelines, he missed the memorable 4-0 win against Plymouth in the Papa Johns Trophy final at Wembley.

Iredale had an outside chance of returning for the play-off semi-final against Barnsley, along with Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, but Ian Evatt decided against throwing the pair back into the thick of the action.

The versatile defender is excited about the project at Wanderers and hopes he can push on next term.

“It is really weird to be honest. Bolton should not have been in League Two at the same time as me and we shouldn’t be in League One now, but we are in a rebuild phase,” he said,

“There is a little bit of disbelief, seeing how far I’ve come and the journey I had to get to a club as big as this.”

The Australian joined the Whites last summer on a free transfer following an impressive season at Cambridge.

Iredale revealed he had other offers at the time but jumped at the chance to play for a club like Wanderers.

“Leading up to that summer period, I had some really exciting and interesting opportunities,” he added. “But Bolton came through with a concrete offer and it is just such a massive club.

“As soon as the offer went through, we all went straight to the club. We even took the dog, stayed in the club hotel and signed the papers.”

In Iredale’s absence, Randell Williams and Declan John competed for the left wing-back spot during the second half of the campaign.

Williams joined from Hull during the January window, although it took him time to get up to speed due to his lack of playing time at the MKM Stadium.

The 26-year-old had a decent finish to the campaign, creating Dion Charles’ equaliser against Barnsley in the first leg with a dangerous cross.

He also slotted in at right wing-back against Bristol Rovers on the final day of the regular season after Gethin Jones was forced off with an injury.

Meanwhile, John’s Bolton future looked uncertain at one stage but he came back into the side against Charlton following a “heart to heart” with Evatt.

Speaking in January, the boss explained: “He looks back to his old self, enjoying his football again and at that moment it is time to reintegrate him into the group.”

The Welshman made 27 appearances in all competitions this season and has another year remaining on his current deal.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum