Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 1-0 Barrow - Ian Evatt post match reaction

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton 1-0 Barrow - Ian Evatt post match reaction 17090568

Wanderers booked their place in the second round of the Carabao Cup – and after watching 90-plus minutes of attack versus defence, that was enough for Ian Evatt.

Frustrating though the spectacle had been, the Bolton boss was simply happy to see Zac Ashworth’s first-ever senior goal end up as the decider.

Bolton had 80 per cent of the ball, made more than three times as many passes and registered 16 shots at goal but were still left panicking somewhat when the visitors finally sprung into life during seven minutes of stoppage time.

“We shouldn’t take progression for granted – you have seen some strange results tonight and some big shocks, so I am delighted to get through to the next round,” reasoned Evatt after the final whistle.

“Overall I thought it was comfortable. It is great credit to them that they managed to stay in the game and made it so tough, got bodies behind the ball, and then while they are still in the game they have the last minute push where anything can happen.

“I am pleased to get through, and maybe we were not as productive enough in possession during the second half, however it is so difficult when they limit the space and opportunities like that.

“We were a little bit safe in the final third again, I don’t think we took enough shots from outside the area or put the ball into space enough. Crossing against set defences is not really for us.

“But we managed the game well enough and closed the spaces. We had sustained attacks and limited them to very little, so overall there are positives.”

Wanderers made eight changes and gave first starts to Joel Coleman, Will Forrester, Paris Maghoma, Carlos Mendes Gomes and winning goal-scorer Ashworth.

And though the promising fluid football of the first half gave way to less threatening fayre after the interval, Evatt reckons each will have benefitted from the experience.

“They will improve for that,” he said. “Paris and Carlos are getting fitter and getting used to what we need them to do. We saw some flashes from them.

“Again, it is difficult for those players when the space is so limited, we need to get them on the ball in the final third so that they can produce a bit of magic.

“First 20 minutes there were some crisp passing moves and we probably could have been ahead earlier and been slightly more comfortable. Credit to them they made it tough for us and I am happy to get through.”

Wanderers have kept clean sheets in each of their opening two games and go to Cheltenham this weekend looking to avenge last season’s 1-0 defeat.

“For us it is about enjoying tonight because we are through and then tomorrow getting fully focussed on Saturday at Cheltenham,” Evatt added.

“We need to be physically and mentally ready because it will be a completely different type of game because the space on their surface is a lot smaller than the one here.

“We really need to strive for improvement on what we have seen over the first two games. That starts on the training ground on Thursday and we’ll attack that game as we do every game we play.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum