Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt challenges cup side to show they are ready for regular starts

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt challenges cup side to show they are ready for regular starts 17189205

Ian Evatt says the stage is set for someone to steal the spotlight at Wanderers and force their way into his starting XI after the international break.

With changes expected for the visit of Salford City, the Bolton boss is keen to see which of his players will maximise their chance of a start in the EFL Trophy.

Last season Jon Dadi Bodvarsson, Amadou Bakayoko and Kieran Sadlier all caught the eye in the group stages, supplying goals which put the club on their way to Wembley.

Tonight, Icelander Bodvarsson will be looking to push his claim again having failed to start a game so far this term. Aaron Morley, Paris Maghoma, Carlos Mendes Gomes, Cameron Jerome, Dan Nlundulu and Will Forrester are all likely to get time in a competition Evatt is keen to win for a second year running.

“Football is all about opportunity – and I have said this a lot that every day they are out on the grass it is an opportunity to get out there and impress the manager. This game is no different,” he told The Bolton News.

“It is a chance for some players who haven’t been playing regularly in the league games to say ‘hey, Gaffer, I’m ready when you call upon me.

“This is a squad game now. Seldom do you pick the same 11 in a football season, week-in week-out, it just doesn’t happen.

“You have to utilise your whole squad, so every one of those players have to be ready and fit for purpose when called upon.

“We will have the same approach to this competition as we had last year. We are competitive in every game we play – or at least we want to be – and this is no different.”

Evatt also wants to maintain momentum from the weekend’s win against Derby County and keep the camp in a positive frame of mind over the international break before they return to face Reading on September 16.

After watching the game back the Bolton boss feels even more encouraged that his side can mount a serious challenge for the top two places this season.

He said: “It was a really strong performance and I think it was an important thing that we put a marker down, not necessarily with the result, because they should take care of themselves if we play that way, but for the first time in a league match against a direct competitor we were extremely dominant and deserved the win.”

Tickets for tonight’s game (kick-off 7.45pm) are available for £10 for adults and £5 concessions.

Only the lower tier of the Eventura Nat Lofthouse East Stand will be open initially, although another will be opened if there is demand.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum