Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'The kid is an absolute diamond' - Evatt impressed by Matheson's early impact

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'The kid is an absolute diamond' - Evatt impressed by Matheson's early impact 17209696

Ian Evatt reckons summer signing Luke Matheson has the right tools to make a success of his big Wanderers ‘reset’.

The young defender is starting all over again at Bolton after a difficult two years with Wolves in the Premier League, dashed by injuries and unsuccessful loans spells.

Matheson made his debut in the 3-0 win against Salford City in the EFL Trophy last week but tomorrow is expected to line-up once again with the B Team as they take on Stockport County at Edgeley Park.

Evatt does not want to put undue pressure on the former Rochdale man, who has already played more than 60 senior games, and is keen to give him space and time to achieve his potential.

But the Bolton boss has already been struck by Matheson’s mindset after dropping down two divisions to link-up with the Whites.

“The kid is an absolute diamond – his attitude is first class,” he told The Bolton News.

“I cannot speak highly enough of him in that respect and Matt Craddock always tells me he is doing everything correctly and that is the most important part of being a professional, making sure that football is your life.

“You have to make sure you do everything right in the gym, on the grass, with nutrition, and Luke does all of it.

“Given the journey he has had so far people perhaps perceive him to be different, but he is humble, down to earth, he has had adversity but I love players and people who have been through adversity because they come out bigger, better and stronger. He has learned from his time at Wolves and I think he comes out of it a better person and a better player.”

Matheson is yet to make his league bow for Bolton but there are high hopes that he can progress within the B Team set-up to be considered a option in the very near future.

Evatt makes comparisons between Matheson and the youngest member of his first team midfield, George Thomason, who has forged a path to regular football this season.

“He is very similar to George in his mindset, his thought process, how articulate he is,” said the Bolton boss. “He understands the game and himself.

“As a young player he has a huge amount of talent but the best thing I can say about Luke and George is that they have the right attitude. Without the right attitude you get nothing as a football player.”

Wanderers get back down to business this morning to start preparation for Saturday’s trip to Reading – who added goalkeeper Joel Perriera to their ranks at the weekend.

Recently released by RKC Waalwijk but a product of Manchester United’s youth academy, Perriera will most likely be back-up to first choice keeper David Button.

He was once described by Jose Mourinho as the “best Portuguese goalkeeper of the next generation.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum