Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Kindle

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Kindle Empty Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 15:04

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have to confess I swore I'd never buy a Kindle.
Books have always played a large part in my life, and the feel and smell of a book can conjure up so many emotions.
When the Kindle first appeared, I looked down a rather snooty nose at it, considering it yet another screen we had to peer at, and worship.
Then, someone gave me one for Christmas, and I've never looked back. It's been quite liberating, allowing me to declutter, and pass on so many volumes to charity or friends. 
I can read lying on my back, my side, upside down in the loft, in the bath (it's waterproof) on the bus or train, and I don't have to pack an extra suitcase when I go on holiday. I can change the background, the print size, and pretty much tailor the reading experience to my own needs, something you can't do with a book.
Don't get me wrong, my first love will always be a physical book, that you can hold, and smell. But I was wrong about the Kindle.
Anyone else fall in love with an e-reader? Kobo for instance, I've got one of them as well.

2Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 15:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do you actually have a kindle paper white (I think it’s called) or a kindle tablet?

3Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 16:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Do you actually have a kindle paper white (I think it’s called) or a kindle tablet?
Got the paperwhite, and recently got the Kindle scribe, which is much larger, and you can write on it if you're inclined to take notes. Ideal for students. See the difference. The colour Kindle can't be far behind.

Kindle Img_4017

4Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 16:51

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:Do you actually have a kindle paper white (I think it’s called) or a kindle tablet?
Got the paperwhite, and recently got the Kindle scribe, which is much larger, and you can write on it if you're inclined to take notes. Ideal for students. See the difference. The colour Kindle can't be far behind.

Kindle Img_4017

These two devices you have are mainly for books. I would have suggested against the kindle tablet if you had one of those as we have had these in the past and they are pretty much crap for what they are. We ended up buying a Samsung a8 tablet for our son as the kindle fire HD or whatever it was called wasn’t up to it and was quite restrictive with their version of the google O/S.

The scribe has a Wacom screen (it’s the company that also makes graphics tablets for pc’s) for writing on as it’s an e-note. I’m not sure if this makes a difference on the screen brightness or not.

There is a bit of a comparison on both devices here:

https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/what-is-better-to-read-on-the-kindle-paperwhite-or-kindle-scribe

5Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 17:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reading is all I need them for, so they're great for me.  I've got the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone, so I can read them at a pinch, but they're less easy on my old eyes.
If you have any other needs than books, I suppose there are other options. Had the Kindle fire once, and it was awful.

6Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 17:08

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Reading is all I need them for, so they're great for me.  I've got the Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone, so I can read them at a pinch, but they're less easy on my old eyes.
If you have any other needs than books, I suppose there are other options. Had the Kindle fire once, and it was awful.

The furthest I have gone with reading pretty much have been lifestyle and I.T orientated magazines.

I do read a bit more to my son with the famous 5 books. Very Happy

I do have the kindle app on my iPad or iPhone as well  and I agree they are not really suited for the more avid reader.

I do prefer a physical book or magazine tbh.

7Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 17:37

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

The furthest I have gone with reading pretty much have been lifestyle and I.T orientated magazines.

I do have the kindle app on my iPad or iPhone as well  and I agree they are not really suited for the more avid reader.

Five Go Down To The Sea is probably my favourite Famous Five book. Mainly, I suppose, because it has a pantomime horse in it called Clopper. Very Happy

8Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 20:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Five Go Down To The Sea is probably my favourite Famous Five book. Mainly, I suppose, because it has a pantomime horse in it called Clopper. Very Happy

We have just read Five on a treasure island which was quite fun. Very Happy

9Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 20:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Uncle Quentin worries me.

10Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 20:14

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Uncle Quentin worries me.

Very Happy I Had forgotten there was a a TV series made.

It's now going on my to watch list!

11Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 20:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Five Go Down To The Sea is probably my favourite Famous Five book. Mainly, I suppose, because it has a pantomime horse in it called Clopper. Very Happy

I'm surprised you've never mentioned Enid Blyton naming one of her characters after you.

12Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 20:51

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

One thing I have learned is that, however many books you buy on Kindle, you never own them. The only thing you own is the Kindle.

13Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 20:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

I'm surprised you've never mentioned Enid Blyton naming one of her characters after you.
You're just jealous because Arthur Ransome, of Swallows and Amazons fame, named a character after you. Titty.

Or was it swallows?

14Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 21:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:One thing I have learned is that, however many books you buy on Kindle, you never own them. The only thing you own is the Kindle.

I had the misfortune of finding this out last Christmas Day. My yearly prime membership fee always ended up coming out of my bank on this day so decided to cancel and start again a few days later. I then got a phone call from my mum asking wtf had gone on as it removed all her books! Shocked Very Happy

15Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 21:26

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

You're just jealous because Arthur Ransome, of Swallows and Amazons fame, named a character after you. Titty.

Or was it swallows?

Laughing

16Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Mon Sep 11 2023, 23:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Blyton was a big fan of naked tennis.

17Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Wed Sep 13 2023, 14:37

Cajunboy

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:One thing I have learned is that, however many books you buy on Kindle, you never own them. The only thing you own is the Kindle.
Have you got the model that is advert free?

18Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Wed Sep 13 2023, 14:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:

Complain to Amazon that it was a gift and see what they say.

19Kindle Empty Re: Kindle Wed Sep 13 2023, 15:35

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cajunboy wrote:
Yes. It was only a few quid more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum