Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt on Wanderers' 1-0 win at Port Vale

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Ian Evatt on Wanderers' 1-0 win at Port Vale 17283360

Ian Evatt said he was proud of his team’s resilient victory at Port Vale.

Wanderers went up to fourth in the table thanks to Dion Charles’s seventh goal of the campaign, scored just before half time.

Evatt admitted his side could have been a few goals to the good after missing a few good opportunities early on – and despite having to soak up plenty of pressure in the second period, they held firm to take a pleasing result.

“I think first half was excellent from our perspective, the only slight criticism would be that we should have been further ahead. There should have been more than one goal but we had a lot of control, a lot of domination, which at a place like this is not easy,” the manager said.

“Port Vale are a good team and they have improved a lot since being promoted.

“The second half, you can’t come here and expect to have it all your own way for 90 minutes. There are going to be spells where you are backs to the wall, they are going to put you under pressure, but the adversity we came through, the intelligence in our defending, the bravery and courage, putting bodies on the line, we did it superbly. I am immensely proud, it was a brilliant result.”

More than 3,000 supporters backed Wanderers from the Bycars Stand at Vale Park and Evatt said their backing helped players lift themselves for the second half onslaught.

The Bolton boss praised his players’ resolve and says the mentality at the club is as strong as it has been in years.

“I can’t speak highly enough of this group, mentality-wise they are the best I have had since being at the club,” he said. “Togetherness is there for all to see, they all get on with each other and that isn’t always the case in football clubs. We have worked hard on the culture we created and it comes from the top with Sharon and the board, through to Neil the CEO, and filters through to me and the football department.

“This is a club that wants to fight for results and fight for its fans. Today we showed that in abundance.”

Wanderers lost Victor Adeboyejo to a knee injury before the game, leaving them to top up the bench with three B Team players – Luke Matheson, Nelson Khumbeni and Ben Andreucci.

“You must remember that a lot of the players who played here, played Tuesday. We haven’t got the squad depth at the moment to be able to change for fresh legs and energy,” Evatt added.

“They battled, they fought, and they deserve the points.

“We are seven or eight players down at the minute and that is a squad which is pretty beat up at the moment. But the togetherness in the group is fantastic. I am delighted with what they showed today.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum