Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 4-0 Solihull Moors FA Cup (Round 1)

+3
terenceanne
Norpig
wanderlust
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tricky one for Evatt this. Having been knocked out of the FA Cup in the first round for the last 6 seasons with us and Barrow before that, Evatt must be tempted to put out a strong team, but we have Shrewsbury away on the Tuesday and he might also be thing of giving a few players a rest so it'll be interesting to see what team he picks.

Solihull are sitting 4th in the National League above the likes of Rochdale, Halifax and Oldham but have had some mixed results recently and were battered 5 nil away at a resurgent Southend last week but won their last one. Their team seems to be a mixture of young players who been at "bigger clubs" and a couple of old heads like defender Richard Stearman (now 36) who's played in the Prem. Sadly we won't be seeing  a return of our own Connor Hall who they've sent out on loan. Their goalkeeping coach is Kevin Poole FYI. This is the club who had our goalie Baxter for a season and gave Loughborough University graduate Dapo Afolayan his professional break before selling him on to West Ham the following year.

Comments from a Solihull fan in reply to my questions:

"Moors' squad underwent a significant overhaul in the summer, with the keeper and both first choice centre backs for the past few seasons moving on, as did the manager. The new manager was unproven at this level, having only managed lower down the pyramid but he's had a very positive start to his reign and our league performance so far has exceeded even the most optimistic of fans.

We actually seem to get better results away from home than at home, bar a recent pasting at Southend (who are much better than their league position implies, given their 10 point penalty).

In recent seasons, we've given very good accounts of ourselves in the FA cup against League One opposition, running Luton Town, Blackpool, and Rotherham close. It feels like one of these seasons we'll claim a considerable scalp of an EFL team, but I'm not sure it will be Bolton's this season.

Formation-wise, we've mainly been playing with 3 at the back and wingbacks. Up top we've started with anything from 1 to 3 forwards. Mark Beck is the big target man, and Josh Kelly his smaller, speedy foil who provides the main goal threat. Jamey Osborne is the playmaker in the middle of the park and is expect to see Gus Mafuta alongside him in the holding role"

Solihull will probably bring a few hundred and have already sold out the club's coaches.

In recent years we've put out weakened teams in the FA Cup and paid the price, but I reckon we have more depth in the squad these days so we should have enough to progress to the second round for the first time in years - but it is a potential banana skin because they're no mugs.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not been to an early round Cup game for many years and no intention of going to this one either.

It would make sense to play a few of the squad and bench players, would be good  to see Matheson get a game and rest CDG.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I think Evatt’s learned it a mistake to take any opposition lightly and I don’t expect him to this Saturday. I’m sure he’ll rest a few but will keep the spine of the team together. I do expect a few changes obviously but not that many. Of the B Team I’d only expect Matheson to get a run with JDC rested but on the bench just in case. Same with Jones to give Forrester a go and probably Williams replaced by Iredale. It would be good to give Bod a start too but who will partner him? Maybe Dion just to hopefully get a lead but Dan wouldn’t surprise me. Whoever he plays we should be much too strong for Solihull so I’d go for a comfortable 3-0 home win.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Does anyone know if this will be on Wanderers TV

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

should be if you're in Florida TA  Very Happy

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Norpig wrote:should be if you're in Florida TA  Very Happy
It's not listed on Wanderers TV ----- As I always say football is still in the dark ages as far as coverage goes for clubs like ours - I can't even pay to watch it  ..dunno..

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Due to competition rules, only supporters with a monthly or annual subscription to Wanderers TV are eligible to listen to live commentary of this Emirates FA Cup fixture.
No video feed will be available.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Well I’m logged in to Wanderers TV now and there’s just no sound of anything on the live feed and I’m a fully paid up member!! I’ll leave it on to see and maybe it’ll come on?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sluffy

Sluffy