Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Evatt makes an optimistic statement on January transfer window

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Evatt makes an optimistic statement on January transfer window  17579479

Wanderers are “quietly confident” they will be keeping their top stars in January.

Ian Evatt has confirmed that no discussions have taken place with other clubs about key men like Ricardo Santos or Dion Charles, with the transfer window due to open a week on Monday.

The Bolton boss had previously voiced his concern that a big offer could come in for one of his first team regulars, and he has worked on an emergency shortlist with recruitment chief Chris Markham in case his fears were realised.

Dion Charles was eyed by Championship clubs like Watford and Stoke City in the previous window - and scouts have regularly dropped in this season to check on the Whites' 14-goal top-scorer.

But speaking on Thursday, Evatt told The Bolton News that he was optimistic none of his players would be pushing for a move elsewhere.

“We have not had anything – and I would have thought we’d have heard something by now,” he said of potential interest.

“We have not had any conversations with our players’ agents about asking prices or potential interest.

“I think they are happy, I think they love playing for this football club, they know where it is heading, and the culture and environment we have created is something to be proud of, top to bottom.

“I am quietly confident we will be OK in that regard.”

Wanderers now know they will be without Gethin Jones for several games in January and early February, with the defender called up by Australia to their Asian cup squad. Carlos Mendes Gomes is also expected to join Guinea Bissau at the African Cup of Nations.

Evatt could seek cover for one or both men next month but continues to take the view that the transfer window will be a quiet one – even with Bolton’s promotion form wobbling over the last couple of games.

“I do have a very strong belief in the players I have got,” he said. “Yes, we have had a few ups and downs, but which team hasn’t? I’d certainly rather them happen now than at the end of the season when there is no chance to put them right.

“I think when this team puts it all together we are a hard team to stop.

“I have been, and still am, quite relaxed about January. We have done the work, I know we are ready to move, if needed. And a lot can happen over the Christmas period.

“It wasn’t long ago that we were top of the league and Portsmouth played that extra game and got ahead of us, and since then we have had two not-great results. You have to stay the course, though, and it is going to be a long old season. It isn’t even halfway through yet.

“For us, it’s about keeping eyes on the prize and keep working hard.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum