Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'Small margins' - Adeboyejo reckons Wanderers can be proud despite FA Cup exit

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'Small margins' - Adeboyejo reckons Wanderers can be proud despite FA Cup exit 17653693

Victor Adeboyejo reckons Wanderers can hold their head up high despite FA Cup defeat to Luton Town.

The Bolton striker believes his side were more than a match for their Premier League opponents on an emotionally-charged night at the Toughsheet Stadium.

Tributes were paid before the game to the season ticket holder and lifelong fan, Iain Purslow, who lost his life at the weekend after collapsing during the game against Cheltenham Town.

Floral tributes were also provided by Cheltenham and Luton on the night.

Speaking after the game, Adeboyejo said the squad was motivated to pay their own respects with the standard of their display on the night.

“First and foremost I want to express my condolences about the fan who lost his life,” he said. “Obviously you never want someone not to return from a game, so we are thinking of his family and his friends.

“We wanted to give a performance that he would have been proud of and that his family could be proud of, and I think we did that.

“We worked extremely hard and it was only small margins on the day between getting a result and not, so everyone can hold their head high.”

Dion Charles opened the scoring but Bolton were quickly pegged back as Tahith Chong punished some sloppy play on the edge of the box.

Chiedoize Ogbene put the Hatters in front, turning in a low cross from Carlton Morris, but Bolton felt they should have equalised before the end when Adeboyejo and Charles both got a touch on Eoin Toal’s low cross, only for the goal to be disallowed for offside.

“I tried to get across the defender to get a touch on the ball, and managed to do so, but I think the ref gave it as offside and not the linesman, so if Dion pretended that I had scored and not the linesman maybe it could have gone to 2-2,” Adeboyejo reasoned.

“It was fine margins at the end of the day, two mistakes, and they were able to score at a period where we thought we were on top. It is something we need to learn from and take into the next games.

“As a team I think we can be very encouraged, in terms of the direction we are going. That is the level we aspire to reach and to get to. I don’t think we looked out of place at all and dominated in spells. With a bit more quality and focus I think we could have ended up winning the game.

“We can be proud and build on it, take it into the next games and also next season where, hopefully, we are up there with the bigger boys.”

Adeboyejo emerged with credit from the night after a performance that was widely praised by the Bolton supporters.

The former Burton Albion striker has scored seven times this season in all competitions but has also forged an effective partnership with Dion Charles, who nudged his tally to 17 last night.

“I said at the start of the season that it doesn’t matter which pair of strikers we use, we are all working hard,” Adeboyejo said. “I’m still trying to learn the trade and I will have dips in form along the way but when that happens you have to try and reset, focus on the next one, and I feel like I am starting to do that now. I am focussing on what I am good at now and bringing that to the table.

“Ideally I would be on the end of some more chances but I feel like I am putting in the performances and that can only stand me in good stead.”

Wanderers face a trip to Leyton Orient on Saturday looking to regain their place in the top two.

With little time to rest, Adeboyejo insists the players are prepared.

“The message has just been emphasised around the team, it doesn’t matter what games, when they come, as a squad we are ready to go again,” he added.

“We are focussed and ready to go again – that is the mentality.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum