Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back: Shoppers had their eye on bargains in Victoria Square

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looks like something caught the attention of these women out shopping on Victoria Square in Bolton in 1964.

Looking Back: Shoppers had their eye on bargains in Victoria Square 17671664

The photo is dated January that month so perhaps there was a bargain to be had in the sales.

You are looking towards Newport Street and at this time it was still possible to park for free outside the shops.

We were wondering what the shop on the corner attracting so much attention might be - the HSBC is there today.

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Long before my time! I only remember Victoria Square being pedestrianised.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Long before my time! I only remember Victoria Square being pedestrianised.

Me too although I do like looking at old pictures of the town.

Have you noticed that there's never really any litter around unlike today?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:
Norpig wrote:Long before my time! I only remember Victoria Square being pedestrianised.

It was around 1970 I think when it became pedestrianised as I used to catch the bus home (the Number 1 bus) from in front of the Town Hall as you can see the stop in this picture I've found dated 1969.

Looking Back: Shoppers had their eye on bargains in Victoria Square B5c59375ac17498370bd5965cf0df4e7

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Fast food outlets haven't helped when it comes to litter.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:

Fast food outlets haven't helped when it comes to litter.

Very true that Boncey.

I do think that people had more respect back then as many people have today though.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

Very true that Boncey.

I do think that people had more respect back then as many people have today though.
That's right. I'll put litter in my pockets or my bag if I can't find a bin. Just disrespectful to chuck it. If I chucked anything as a kid, dad was soon on my back, and made me pick it up.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm the same, my kids had it drummed in to them when they were younger, i hate littering!

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I'm the same, my kids had it drummed in to them when they were younger, i hate littering!

My son is the same.

I just don’t get why people are happy to live in a shit hole. It’s the same with fly tippers.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have noticed one thing with our council though. Less waste bins in popular areas such as Victoria square and outside takeaways etc.

There is no encouragement to dispose of your litter responsibly. The council want you to take it home so I’m guessing the youngsters these days don’t want to be carrying pockets full of rubbish around with them.

Now I’m not saying the council are completely to blame but it’s a bit stupid the way they think to save a few quid employing someone to empty bins when it costs more for road sweepers.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum