Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MATCH REACTION: Evatt on the 4-1 win at Carlisle United

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MATCH REACTION: Evatt on the 4-1 win at Carlisle United 17689464

Ian Evatt thought his Wanderers side looked more like themselves as they romped to a 4-1 win at Carlisle United and climbed back into the promotion spots.

Zac Ashworth, Paris Maghoma, Kyle Dempsey and Nat Ogbeta scored the goals as Bolton registered their first win at Brunton Park since 1988.

Though Carlisle momentarily looked like getting back into the game when Jordan Gibson came off the bench to bring them back into the contest at 2-1, Evatt was happy with the way his side handled the set back.

“That was more like us wasn’t it? First half was incredible, we dominated the game and were really brave,” he said. “It was frustrating because you feel you are so on top and you are just waiting for the goals to start going in – and Zac’s cross was amazing to get things off and running. The second one was crucial.

“I said to the players after the game that at the start of the second half we went back to that Cheltenham and Leyton Orient mould where it was a bit safe, trying to protect something, and that isn’t us. It isn’t who we are. Their goal seemed to kickstart us back to life.

“After that we were ruthless in the last 10 minutes when the spaces appeared.

“Their goal was ridiculous. It was thrown 20 yards ahead of where the ball went out and then Demps put a great ball in for Jon, who scored, and there was a guy clearly three or four yards deeper in the penalty box and yet it gets ruled out for offside.

“I am delighted for the boys, delighted for Nat’s first touch, and now we just have to start planning for the next game.”

Wanderers had struggled to keep hold of possession in the second half, their lead coming under some unexpected pressure as a result after half time.

A double substitution of Cameron Jerome and Jon Dadi Bodvarsson for Vic Adeboyejo and Dion Charles helped change things in Bolton’s favour.

Evatt said: “I do not mean to criticise the other two – because we were excellent first half – but we as a team need to give them better support and service. We stopped doing that and playing to their strengths. We played to Carlisle’s defenders’ strengths by looping balls up in these conditions.

“We changed the front two because we thought if we continued to do that, those two would win more first contacts. But having said that, after the goal we went back to linking it, and both Jon and Cam can do that as well.

“I was delighted with that performance. It is a very tough place to play and I have just been shouted at and abused for 90 minutes, but it is part of the game and you have to accept it.”

Asked what pleased him most about the win, which puts Bolton second, a point behind leaders Portsmouth with two games in hand, Evatt added: “It looked like my team and the one that we have come to know and love.

“The way we played and moved the ball, some of the bravery in possession and build up was first class. We looked back to ourselves, which the last couple of games we haven’t done, and we just need to keep that going.”

On debut boy Ogbeta – who scored with virtually his first touch in a Bolton shirt – Evatt was also full of praise.

“I am so happy for him,” he said. “A bit like Victor, his smile lights up the room and to see him take his chance like that, he is going to be a really big player for us.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum