Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Barnsley 2-2 Bolton

+8
Ten Bobsworth
okocha
Cajunboy
BoltonTillIDie
terenceanne
BarrygoestoBolton
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 6]

81bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 18:35

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Sluffy wrote:

Well what is it then - people running around kicking a ball?

A religion?
Science?
Politics?
Commerce?

What?

It's a GAME.

There's a bit of a clue don't you think when the word PLAY is usually used to describe football...

PLAYing football

How did we PLAY today

We've just signed a new PLAYer

Not often you use the word 'play' if it isn't a game or similar (and before anyone mentions actors and plays - you do realise that is because they are 'play'-acting - the acting of a play or plays; dramatic performance).

You or anyone else can see football in any way you like but a group of blokes or women running around kicking a ball IS a GAME that they are PLAYING - and they are PLAYing to the rules of the GAME ffs!!!

It really is that black and white.
I prefer to see the world in colour.

82bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 18:43

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We do get it. Honest. It is, most definitely, a game. Now let's relax with another, less contentious, game.

83bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 18:58

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Anything which has the power to change lives, attitudes and emotions is obviously so much more than "just a game". 

Quite apart from being big business, sport is on a par with all other types of man-made culture which can create hugely important reactions of significance in the lives of human beings....just as the natural world can.

Football is a GAME.

Bolton Wanderers (or more correctly FVWL Football Ltd) and all the rest of companies own football clubs are Businesses - you seem not to be able to understand the difference between the two.

You also don't seem to understand that culture (how we do things around here) is totally different from 'hugely important reactions of significance in the lives of human beings'.

Football DOESN'T have the power to change lives (well maybe it can if you are a player on mega money) getting excited (or depressed) over a GAME isn't going to feed and clothe you, make you walk barefoot to Horwich, or preach to the natives of far away islands the bible of Evans!

Yes it can give you a moment once a goal goes in against Crewe or some other random team but any more than that, then it becomes more of an obsession (which is a bad thing) rather than some sort of a revelation of how to live your life from now on (which also can be a bad thing too!).

Christ my life isn't that exciting but I've got far more important things in it than the need to fill it with a bunch of blokes kicking a ball about to try to find some meaning to life as you appear to seek, if you truly believe in what you've just typed.

84bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 19:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:We do get it. Honest. It is, most definitely, a game. Now let's relax with another, less contentious, game.

You get it Bonce but its pretty clear many don't.

It is an entertainment, theatre, something to enjoy - then move on from, for another week.

If we end up getting promoted great, if we get relegated, well its just one of those things - there's always next season.

That's the point though, isn't it - there's always next season.

We start afresh every year - it's all pretty meaningless (as games are) - yes we might note it if we had a great season or forget it if we have had a bad one - but it isn't the be all and end all that some seem to be claiming it is.

Is it?

85bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 19:38

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Cajunboy wrote:I prefer to see the world in colour.

I prefer to see the world as it is and not how I want it to be.

Last edited by Sluffy on Thu Mar 07 2024, 19:58; edited 1 time in total

86bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 19:41

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Anything which has the power to change lives, attitudes and emotions is obviously so much more than "just a game". 

Quite apart from being big business, sport is on a par with all other types of man-made culture which can create hugely important reactions of significance in the lives of human beings....just as the natural world can.

87bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 19:54

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Football is not just a game.
It is a game but not just a game.  
Exactly! Very Happy

88bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 19:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

BoltonTillIDie wrote:Football is not just a game.
It is a game but not just a game.  

It's a game full stop.

Anything more you attribute to it is what YOU want it to be - and not what it is.

Take for instance the tree that was cut down at Hadrian's Wall recently.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

God knows how many trees there are in the world, billions and billions I guess, so why did the felling of this tree become special to many people - and why not another of the billions and billions of other tress?

Because in meant something to them more than just being a tree.

It's still a tree though - or was.

Football is a game - if you or anyone else wants to add your own meaning to it, like with the tree - then that's up to you.

The tree was just a tree, football is just a game - anything more is HOW YOU VIEW IT - and NOT what it really is.

89bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 20:02

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

okocha wrote:Anything which has the power to change lives, attitudes and emotions is obviously so much more than "just a game". 

???

Why have you posted this again when I've already answered you a hour earlier in post 83 above?

..dunno..

90bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 20:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Vaughan Williams, symphony number 5. Just a lot of people playing instruments? But so much more.
Like you say Okocha, man made culture can inform our lives. I first heard the Vaughan Williams at the Free Trade Hall in 1970. Changed my life.

91bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 21:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Sluffy has been playing the trumpet with some of his comments Very Happy

92bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 21:49

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:I think Sluffy has been playing the trumpet with some of his comments Very Happy
Never mind KP, it's just a game. Very Happy

93bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 22:53

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:
karlypants wrote:I think Sluffy has been playing the trumpet with some of his comments Very Happy
Never mind KP, it's just a game. Very Happy

Everything is just a game - even life.

It's how we live it that matters.

What's the point in getting hung up on things you can't do nothing about.

We started this particular part of the thread about people wanting to sack Evatt and my point was simply that no matter what people think or how strong they feel about it, simply makes no odds because being able to sack him is not within our gift, it resides in the hands of the owners - FV.

Why get het up about something you can't do anything about particularly when we are only dealing with a game when all said and done?

By Christ there's a war going on in Ukraine that Putin is winning, a complete mess in Israel/Palestine with no end in sight 'settled by Ramadan' maybe a lull in the fighting but a two-state solutions it won't be, Trump is looking more and more that he will become the President again (and could be for the next 8 years), global warming is going to go beyond the 'safe' limit that the scientist had set, we have politicians talking about Muslims taking over London, and the people on here are getting their knickers in a twist because I dared to say that football is a game - which of course it is!

Is it any wonder that I don't take Nuts seriously?

I can't do anything about Trump or Palestine or anything else either but at least I know they are more important in the scheme of things than a GAME where some blokes kick a ball about.

As I've already said repeatedly if people want to make the game their religion or whatever it is they see it as, then that's up to them but they are taking a GAME and evolving it in their minds into something that it is not - because when I watch football it certainly isn't my religion, or whatever you lot see in it - it is a GAME just like the tree at Hadrian's Wall was just a tree, or even Vaughn Williams 5th's is just a piece of music.  The point being is that you as individuals are fusing on to them something that wasn't there - you are projecting YOUR feelings and emotions and attaching them to the game, or the tree, or that particular bit of music.

PS - I listened to Vaughn Williams - I've even been known to visit the Barbican from time to time - and talking of trumpets I even knew a professional trumpet player who regularly performed there.

However I much preferred Williams, Lark Ascending.

...but had a much better laugh with Mike Harding's Strangeways Hotel.

Very Happy

94bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Thu Mar 07 2024, 23:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We're setting a high bar if we want to get rid of a manager sitting second in the table. Shocked

95bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Fri Mar 08 2024, 01:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:We're setting a high bar if we want to get rid of a manager sitting second in the table. Shocked

Luckily the bar is set very low to be on Nuts!

Very Happy

96bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Fri Mar 08 2024, 07:30

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Luckily the bar is set very low to be on Nuts!

Very Happy
It needs to be low. Some of us can't get our legs up very far. Smile

97bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Fri Mar 08 2024, 09:28

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

In the words and wisdom of Inspector Fowler:

"Sport is like a half-sucked sweet .........

NOT what it used to be"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

98bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Fri Mar 08 2024, 09:31

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy, are you a regular to church or participate in religious activities?

99bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Fri Mar 08 2024, 11:36

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

karlypants wrote:Sluffy, are you a regular to church or participate in religious activities?

Politics and religion are all about power and control of the people.

Science created all that there is - not a God.

For those of you who are religious ask yourself the simple question - who created your God?

Rolling Eyes

100bolton - Barnsley 2-2 Bolton - Page 5 Empty Re: Barnsley 2-2 Bolton Fri Mar 08 2024, 12:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Politics and religion are all about power and control of the people.

Science created all that there is - not a God.

For those of you who are religious ask yourself the simple question - who created your God?

Rolling Eyes
At last. something we agree on Sluffy! 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum