Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'We can create magic' - Evatt proud of fans and players after Barnsley fightback

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'We can create magic' - Evatt proud of fans and players after Barnsley fightback 17823441

Wanderers’ stirring comeback to claim a point at Barnsley can be a springboard for greater things, says Ian Evatt.

Randell Williams’ 98th minute equaliser handed Bolton a point to send them second in the table, a position they will now seek to consolidate when they travel to Exeter City on Saturday.

Fighting back from two goals down at Oakwell, the Whites’ second-half performance drew praise from all quarters and – in the manager’s view – was worth even more.

But the belief shown to get back into the game, coupled with the atmosphere generated by a magnificent travelling support is what Evatt feels will now be needed over the final 10 games if an automatic promotion spot is to be claimed.

“It feels like we now have momentum to go into the next one,” he said.

“When you create all those chances at a place like this, and they are a really good team who have lost one in 17, take those two moments where we have caused our own problems out of it and we have dominated. That is a frustration.

“We are constantly working hard on their mentality and mindset to believe in themselves. As I said, when they do, we are a hard team to stop.

“The crowd stuck with us and backed us. They were almost sucking the ball into the net second half and it took some sucking, by the way, because we kept on missing chances.

“But you cannot fail to be proud of what we saw today.”

Evatt’s own happiness in the role had come in for some discussion in the lead up to the game, his post-match words after victory against Cambridge summing up what a toll the last few weeks had taken.

But he admitted to feeling re-energised thanks to the vociferous backing of around 2,000 away fans at Oakwell, who went home happy after Williams followed up Josh Sheehan’s penalty to score a memorable leveller.

“The fans were amazing,” Evatt said. “I always speak from the heart, you know that, and sometimes it gets me into trouble, sometimes it can be misconstrued, but I am immensely proud to be manager of this football club. I love working here, for the people I work for, with these players, my staff, with you guys and with the fans. I love them, they are amazing.

“To achieve it this season it is very much a team effort. And when we are a team we can create magic.”

Wing-back Williams came off the bench to score his third goal of the season, in what was only his second appearance after returning from a hamstring injury.

“And if he’s doing that then you know it is one of those days,” Evatt added. “It is brilliant from Randell to be on the front foot and get exactly what we deserved.”

A defensive reshuffle in the second half saw Josh Dacres-Cogley withdrawn with an injury and Jack Iredale brought on as a left-sided centre-half.

The Australian’s arrival allowed Gethin Jones to push on as a wing-back, and his impact on the pitch brought praise from his manager.

“Jack has been in good form and he has been unfortunate to be out of the team,” he said.

“That back three that started did well over the last couple of games and we have had a lot of success with them. Jack has been unlucky to be on the outside of it but he is pushing hard.

“He is a wonderful character and he is hugely supportive. I think when he came on he showed us exactly what he can do.

On Dacres Cogley, he added: “He got a bang on his foot. It went completely numb.

“We think it will be okay but we don’t know, we’re unsure.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum