Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

'He has been great for me' - Thomason on thriving under Evatt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

'He has been great for me' - Thomason on thriving under Evatt 17936095

Things look rather different at Wanderers compared to George Thomason’s first day in the building.

Keith Hill’s squad were battling against a 12-point deduction in League One when the midfielder arrived in January 2020.

“There were a lot of experienced players,” Thomason told The Bolton News. “It was a strange atmosphere because I was still playing non-league football and training alongside the boys here.

“You could tell they were under pressure and trying their hardest to get out of the situation the club was currently in. There was uncertainty at the turn of the year after Covid struck and the season was cut short.

“I remember Keith Hill and David Flitcroft trying so hard on the training pitch, and that was an eye-opener for me because it was my first time in a men’s professional environment.

“It kind of took me by storm how much work really does go on that you don’t necessarily see.”

Hill departed Wanderers the following summer after relegation to the fourth tier. The side were adrift at the foot of the table when the campaign was cut short by the pandemic.

“Keith and the club were in a situation where they had to almost form a squad in a day or so.” Thomason continued.

“That obviously takes time to gel with cohesion of players and trying to get your own style across and deliver results when the club was in the position it was away from the pitch, trying to get back on its feet.

“You can understand that fans, first and foremost, just wanted the club back and then wanted results and performances on the pitch.

'He has been great for me' - Thomason on thriving under Evatt 17936093

“At that time, it was difficult because everyone knows the club is massive. They were trying everything they had to make a positive impact on the club while they were here.”

A significant number of players headed out the exit door following relegation, but Thomason remained part of the squad as Ian Evatt took charge.

“Thankfully, it probably played into my hands out of all the boys because I was young,” the midfielder reflected.

“I had signed an 18-month contract so I had a bit more security than some of the lads who were maybe only on 12-month deals.

“When that Covid season finished and we came back in for pre-season under the gaffer now, there might have only been three or four lads who he inherited.

“It was about adapting and kicking on, and thankfully the way he wants to play really suits my ambition and ideas. It has been a great journey ever since.”

Thomason’s senior debut came several months into the 2020/21 campaign after returning from a loan stint at Bamber Bridge.

The youngster went on to make 25 appearances that season as the Whites secured promotion back to the third tier at the first time of asking.

“I had transitioned from Academy football to non-league football but was doing some training with a couple of ex-coaches when I was 16 to 18,” he explained.

“It was focused on in-possession stuff so that transition felt seamless coming into what the gaffer wanted in his first pre-season.

“I went out on loan but was still training with the boys every day so I was getting the tactical work and seeing the ideas that he wanted.

“Once my season had been postponed again in non-league and I got my opportunity with the first team in a Papa Johns game, he had so much belief in me and kept chucking me in regardless in the League Two games.

“It did me a world of good and it would have been easy for him to take me out and put in a more experienced player.”

Thomason has continued to go from strength to strength under Evatt and is now a key part of the squad battling to reach the Championship.

'He has been great for me' - Thomason on thriving under Evatt 17936097

“He has never told me a lie, he has always been true to his word to me – whether that might be taking me out for a few games to put me back in or showing me different things where he wants me to improve,” the 23-year-old said.

“He has been by my side for the whole journey and that is what has made me stick by him.

“Not only do I love his style of football and the way he wants to set his teams out, as a manager and person he has been great for me too.”

Thomason has witnessed first-hand the progress at Wanderers in recent years, both on and off the pitch.

“After we got promoted from League Two when there were no fans in, you could sense a feel-good factor around the place again,” he added.

“The club was stable, we were back on a high, the team was playing good football and there had been great backing from everyone above us to bring in new players and help facilitate the manager’s style of play, little improvements at the training ground.

“Everything has gone on that upward trajectory. It is easy to say in hindsight, because right now it might be a bit nervy going into the final few games, but we are in a great position and two, three or four years ago, we would have taken this position 10 times over. It is exciting.”

Wanderers have been backed by a plethora of sold-out away ends this term and more than 25,000 supporters were in attendance at the Toughsheet Community Stadium for the emphatic 5-2 victory against Reading on Monday.

“I remember sitting on the bench at Rochdale away in January when Keith was here, one of the last games before the season was cut short. It was chucking it down with rain, it was windy and absolutely minging,” Thomason grinned.

“I think the boys were getting beat and it felt a bit negative. To compare that to the away following we see week in, week out and the amount of fans we see turn up at home games, it is a complete turnaround and it is really good to see.

“It is not just the positive environment on the pitch, it is the positive feeling around the people who come to watch the games as well.”

Having been a regular starter throughout the season, it is strange to think that Thomason could have been playing his football elsewhere.

Bristol City wanted the midfielder in the summer and were prepared to pay a handsome fee, but he opted to remain in the North West and continue his development with the Whites.

“I am someone who is calculated and likes to take a lot of different things into consideration,” he stated.

“It was really humbling that Bristol City had come in with a bid and it was £1million, which is huge for any player.

“It was like a pinch me moment, it happened so quickly. But the caveat was that I hadn’t even played a full season and not been a regular starter in League One.

“I didn’t think I had had the chance to flourish and show my true colours. I knew with the way pre-season had gone, I would get that opportunity here this season and just wanted to kick on and try to play well each game.

“There is nothing to say that I wouldn’t have gone there and played X amount of games but I thought to myself if I can get a good 35-plus games in this division, it would stand me in good stead.

“The fact that I believe in the manager and the club to go and get promotion is something no-one can take away from you.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum