Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lean on me: Bodvarsson ready to handle pressure against Portsmouth

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lean on me: Bodvarsson ready to handle pressure against Portsmouth 17943836

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson hopes his experience can help Wanderers handle the pressure-cooker atmosphere of Saturday’s must-win game against Portsmouth.

Having aided Iceland qualify for the World Cup and European Championships, played more than 160 games in the Championship, and helped Bolton to silverware at Wembley last season, Bodvarsson knows all about coping in the big occasion.

Ian Evatt’s side has no margin for error as they look to hunt down Derby County for a top two spot but with Pompey also seeking three points that would guarantee automatic promotion, there is a sense of ‘winner takes all’ about the next 90 minutes.

But the 31-year-old, whose appearance in the win at Bristol Rovers means he has now played more games for Bolton than any other in his career, believes he has developed a knack for keeping his head when it matters most.

“I don’t know how many times I have played in these, I don’t know how you say it, ‘nut-crunching’ games where it is all or nothing,” said the striker, who returned to scoring form with a double in the thumping 5-2 win against Reading. “That is a fact.

“We need to control on what we can control and not focus on outer noise, or what other teams are doing. It is human nature to look at where other teams are at but at this point of the season it is important to focus on ourselves, take the shackles off and just play football.

“As football players, when things are at stake, it is almost human nature that you want things ‘too much’ so in a weird way you have to try and be care-free. And I am not saying careless.

“You have to take the sting out of things emotionally and focus on the simple things.

“It is 11 v 11, there’s a ball and two goals. You just need to simplify it, play good football – and that’s our identity – and enjoy it.”

Bodvarsson moved on to 10 goals in all competitions with a brace against his former club Reading in a season where he has not always been first choice.

Injuries to the likes of Dion Charles, Dan Nlundulu and Victor Adeboyejo have meant Evatt and Bolton have had to lean on him more for inspiration of late, and Bodvarsson says he is ready to come to his side’s aid again, if called upon.

“I have been in the game for a while now and had my ups and downs,” he said. “It has been an absolute rollercoaster.

“It has been a different season for me, personally, and I haven’t played as much as I would have liked but in the end it is all about the whole team. I have never been disappointed too much, tried to be a positive influence whether I am on the bench, out of the squad or playing. I think that is the sign of a good team.

“Even the injured lads at the moment have a big role to play. We are in it together.

“The older you get, the calmer you get about things. You deal with the lows better, you deal with the highs better as well.

“If I can share that throughout the team then it can only be positive.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum