Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you had to cut out certain food/drink to keep the weight off as you got older?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

I am wondering if others have cut out certain food/drink to avoid putting weight on as they get older? 

When I was in my teenage years I was very active and was in good shape. When I was in my early 20s I worked at Wimpy, I was in charge of making the burgers, my speciality was the spicy beanburger. I always put a few extra burgers and fries on towards the end of the shift as we could take home any food not sold. We also could often take home some of the desserts, the brownie whirl sundaes were incredible. In that job I went from 11 stone to 19 stone, which was quite dangerous as I’m 5’7 tall. My doctor said I had to go on a strict diet and I managed to get back to 13 stones. However, in recent years dieting has become a lot harder and I find that alcohol, chocolate and desserts really just go straight on me. 
Do others find it hard to keep the weight off after a certain age? Do you cut out certain food/drink?

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I've tended to eat more healthier as I've grown older.

I'm not sure I always achieve my 'five a day' but I do more often than not have vegetables or salads daily and less so fruit. I tend to eat wholemeal bread rather than white, seldom drink coffee and apart from special occasions I don't tend to drink alcohol much at all these days. I've never been a smoker either.

As the years go by and the metabolism slows we all put on a few pounds but as a person who likes savoury rather than sweet I now stay clear of biscuits and cakes in the main.

I'm not as dull as all this may sound, I eat and drink what I want and when I want and join in with the crowd I'm with at the time but when indoors I simply tend to eat and drink a little bit more healthier as I don't want to fall down dead from a stroke or heart attack anytime soon.

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

Very wise Sluffy. I’m with you on the alcohol, I used to always buy a couple of bottles of wine in my weekly shop and it never seemed to be a problem but now I just can’t get away with it, I can literally feel my belly get bigger the next day. And yes sweets are best avoided. 
You are right to eat healthy and stay in shape, it’s a slippery slope and very hard to get back once you’ve let yourself go and it’s no surprise you hear of unhealthy people die way too young. Eric Bristow, John Candy, Andy Fordham, Giant Haystacks, Jono Coleman all died early. 
It is a shame our metabolism slows down as we get older, we really do have to make allowances and changes for it. 
And nothing suddenly makes people look less attractive than someone putting a load of weight on.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Since the age of 17,I've been a veggie, and I can't say I've ever had to seriously watch my weight, but I have had to cut out certain foods for health reasons.
Over the past ten years I began to experience knee pain, and assumed it was simply the aging process getting a grip.
However, I was advised to eliminate bread, or at least pare it down to a couple of rounds a week.
Reluctantly, I tried it, and it worked the oracle. I'm now virtually bread free, and, more importantly, pain free.
No idea why the bread was the problem, but who cares.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum