Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years

+10
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Mr Magoo
Sgt. Bash
Sluffy
xmiles
Bernard Dennis Park
scottjames30
Lofty_Love
Natasha Whittam
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Most Important Goal?

Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_lcap22%Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_rcap 22% [ 4 ]
Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_lcap22%Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_rcap 22% [ 4 ]
Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_lcap39%Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_rcap 39% [ 7 ]
Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_lcap17%Most Important BWFC Goal Of The Last 25 Years Vote_rcap 17% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 18

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've scored some important goals over the last 25 years, but I think it can be narrowed down to a handful.

I don't mean the best goal, or your favourite goal, I mean the goal that was most important to the progress of BWFC.

Robbie Savage v Wrexham May 1988

Bolton started the final game of the 1987-88 season in 5th place, needing to finish 3rd to gain promotion. Unlikely as it was it didn't stop 4000 Bolton fans converging on Wrexham, the Welsh side having to open an extra part of the ground to accommodate the Wanderers faithful.

Amazingly, with 20 minutes left Torquay and Scunthorpe, the two teams above Bolton, were both losing so promotion was on the cards! But Bolton still needed to score to gain promotion. The noise was incredible.

As the late, great Dave Higson commentated:

Andy May.....Mark Came....now Robbie Savage......YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Savage slammed the ball into the bottom corner and Bolton were on their way to promotion. It really was party time at the Racecourse Ground, had the sleeping giant finally woken up?

John McGinlay v Preston North End May 1993

Bolton had their destiny in their own hands going into the final game of the season. A better result than Port Vale would see them promoted to Division 1 (Championship).

A packed and nervous Burnden Park witnessed a stalemate for much of the game, but come the hour cometh the man and Bolton were awarded a penalty. Despite huge pressure up stepped John McGinlay and slotted the ball into the net to send Bolton into Division 1. Amazing scenes followed as the crowd invaded the pitch, Bolton were back in the big time.

Michael Ricketts v Preston North End May 2001

Bolton met PNE in the play-off final on a sunny day at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. At the time it was dubbed the richest football game in history as the teams were playing for a place in the Premier League.

Bolton soon went 1-0 up thanks to a Gareth Farrelly strike, but it's Michael Ricketts' run from the halfway line and finish that settled things and announced that Bolton were in the Premier League. It really was a joyous day.

So there are my three contenders. Which one was most important? Did the Robbie Savage goal start the ball rolling or was promotion under Bruce Rioch in 1993 where the Premier League dream started? Or was the 2001 play-off success the start of a great decade for BWFC?

Or perhaps you think other goals were more important?

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Ricketts wins it for me

The Robbie Savage goal for me. It was the first time I, and many other Wanderers fans, had ever witnessed something good happen to the club. It gave the club a bit of momentum and gave Bruce Rioch something to build on.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Super John, then the pitch invasion.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bernard Dennis Park

Bernard Dennis Park
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Fabian De Freitas to make it 2-2 against Reading.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I voted for the McGinlay goal because of his composure under the enormous pressure of the occasion.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Darius Henderson's second - Millwall 2-1 Bolton

Events leading up -

6th October, 2012 - Azreal, self proclaimed fan liaison officer appointed by Gartside, states inequitably that Coyle’s job is safe for the foreseeable future.

16:50 - 6th October, 2012 - Darius Henderson scores his second and winning goal for Millwall.

9th October, 2012 - Coyle sacked. Azreal ripped to pieces on ww and hardly heard from again since!

23rd October, 2012 - Coyle announces "I'm the best manager I've ever been", and "The phone's not stopped since I left last week".

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

25th February, 2013 - two days after Bolton win 4-1, Coyle still unemployed and Azreal disappeared!

God bless you Darius – best 2 for 1 ever!

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Maybe this Azreal (who sounds like a numpty) reappeared as our very own Bolton Hater?

BH does after all, love Owen Coyle!

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I voted "other" btw, I think Jay Jay Okocha's goal against West Ham in our 1-0 home win against them in 2002/03 was a big blow to the Spammers and ultimately decisive in our survival that season, we went from strength to strength in the Premier League after that! (until the eventual departure of Fat Samuel, of course!)

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lt. Boon wrote:I voted "other" btw, I think Jay Jay Okocha's goal against West Ham in our 1-0 home win against them in 2002/03 was a big blow to the Spammers and ultimately decisive in our survival that season, we went from strength to strength in the Premier League after that! (until the eventual departure of Fat Samuel, of course!)

You dimwit. How is that goal more important than any of the three options?

Stoke City. May 2012.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Michael Ricketts for me, what a day out that was. Very Happy

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Jay Jay goal vs West Ham is up there for me.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chungy's goal against Birmingham in the FA Cup. Simply because it was a chance to see us at Wembley. Not as important as the others mentioned but personally satisfying nevertheless.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Robbie Savage at Wrexham. If we had lost out that day who knows what might have happened.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Bolton Hater wrote:Stoke City. May 2012.
And look where it left us, in the same league as you! If the results go the right way we could be dumping on you bunch of sheep shaggers at 10pm tomorrow! Why is it you "Dingles" are born stupid?

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Soul Kitchen wrote: Why is it you "Dingles" are born stupid?

Our six fingered friend has broken more strings on his banjo than George Formby.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

For me Owen Coyles goal at Wembley, that started the comeback.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Chungy's goal against Birmingham in the FA Cup. Simply because it was a chance to see us at Wembley. Not as important as the others mentioned but personally satisfying nevertheless.

:facepalm:

I didn't ask for satisfying, I asked for important.

Sgt. Bash

Sgt. Bash
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Lt. Boon wrote:I voted "other" btw, I think Jay Jay Okocha's goal against West Ham in our 1-0 home win against them in 2002/03 was a big blow to the Spammers and ultimately decisive in our survival that season, we went from strength to strength in the Premier League after that! (until the eventual departure of Fat Samuel, of course!)

You dimwit. How is that goal more important than any of the three options?

It's fuckwit, and I believe I explained why in the post.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum