Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Official: Roberto Martinez new Everton Manager!

+5
Reebok Trotter
Copper Dragon
aaron_bwfc
NickFazer
Sluffy
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Everton have reached an agreement with Wigan over compensation for manager Roberto Martinez and could name him as their boss by Wednesday.

The Spaniard, 39, is thought to have been Everton's first choice to replace David Moyes, who signed a six-year contract to manage Manchester United.

Martinez said last month he would leave Wigan after four years at the helm.

"Bill Kenwright [Everton chairman] and myself have agreed a deal," Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told BBC Sport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22761798

Coyle to Wigan now perhaps?

Fingers crossed. Because if it happens it'll be one less team to worry about

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I know there has been talk of this for a while but I think Everton are taking a massive gamble with Martinez, if he doesn't get off to a decent start the fans will lose patience quickly. Kenwrights regime is no longer popular and a lot of Evertonians don't want Martinez, they think this appointment has been made solely on the basis of 1 good cup run and with little regard for Wigan's record in the league over the past 3 seasons.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

NickFazer wrote:I know there has been talk of this for a while but I think Everton are taking a massive gamble with Martinez, if he doesn't get off to a decent start the fans will lose patience quickly. Kenwrights regime is no longer popular and a lot of Evertonians don't want Martinez, they think this appointment has been made solely on the basis of 1 good cup run and with little regard for Wigan's record in the league over the past 3 seasons.

Continuation of the link in the opening post of this thread -

In his first managerial role, Martinez guided Swansea to promotion to the Championship in 2008.

Then he joined Wigan - a team for whom he played for six years from 1995 - keeping the club in the Premier League for three seasons despite working with a lower budget than many of his rivals.

Under his reign, Wigan finished 16th twice and 15th before being relegated in 18th place this season, although the Latics continued to attract praise for their style of football.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Decent manager but he isn't as good as people make him out to be IMO.

Everton will not be a top 10 team much longer.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

He'll do well at Everton as long as they aren't expecting him to work with a budget similar to Wigan's.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy wrote:
NickFazer wrote:I know there has been talk of this for a while but I think Everton are taking a massive gamble with Martinez, if he doesn't get off to a decent start the fans will lose patience quickly. Kenwrights regime is no longer popular and a lot of Evertonians don't want Martinez, they think this appointment has been made solely on the basis of 1 good cup run and with little regard for Wigan's record in the league over the past 3 seasons.

Continuation of the link in the opening post of this thread -

In his first managerial role, Martinez guided Swansea to promotion to the Championship in 2008.

Then he joined Wigan - a team for whom he played for six years from 1995 - keeping the club in the Premier League for three seasons despite working with a lower budget than many of his rivals.

Under his reign, Wigan finished 16th twice and 15th before being relegated in 18th place this season, although the Latics continued to attract praise for their style of football.

I'm not saying he hasn't done well but a lot of Evertonians will be "underwhelmed" by this appointment and will see it as a cheap option taken by an unambitious board and chairman.

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Yes Nick but I reckon that a lot will be thinking.... he knows the Premier League and English football inside out, he tries to play football the right way, he lives in the area, he can spot a decent player and there won't be much upheaval.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He is inheriting a decent team and people forget that it was Martinez who was instrumental in starting the football revolution at Swansea. I think he will do okay at Everton.

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I also think he will do ok, but just that, Everton will never finish higher under Martinez than they did with Moyes, and likewise the red shite will not be as dominant with Moyes.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think both Moyes and Martinez will find it hard at their new clubs.

Moyes has very little champions league experience , and Martinez will be expected to finish in the top ten "Big ask".

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Copper Dragon wrote:Yes Nick but I reckon that a lot will be thinking.... he knows the Premier League and English football inside out, he tries to play football the right way, he lives in the area, he can spot a decent player and there won't be much upheaval.

Agreed, but they aren't the ones that will make all the noise, if they lose most of their first 10 games. Time will tell, he might be the talent that Whelan bigged him up as.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Everton have confirmed the arrival of Roberto Martinez as their new manager in a four-year deal.

Everton and Wigan agreed a compensation package believed to be £1.5m earlier this week for the Spaniard, who succeeds David Moyes following his move to replace Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.

Martinez, who led Wigan to a memorable FA Cup final triumph last month but could not save them from relegation to the Championship, recently informed Wigan chairman Dave Whelan that he had reluctantly decided to part company with the club and held talks with Everton chairman Bill Kenwright last week.

A statement on the Wigan website read: "Roberto's influence at the club, both as a player and manager, an association that spanned over a decade, will remain unforgettable to all Latics fans and the club would like to place on record its appreciation for his tireless work during that time, culminating in FA Cup glory last month at Wembley Stadium.

"The club now begins its search for a new manager as we seek to make a return to the Barclays Premier League and progress in the Europa League."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11671/8758453/Everton-poised-to-confirm-Roberto-Martinez-as-new-manager-at-Goodison-Park

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Martinez is a better manager than Moyes was when he went to Everton. To be considered successful at Everton he just has to keep them in the Prem. If he keeps them above Liverpool he'll be considered a god.

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I can't believe how highly rated martinez is personally. The guy is a really nice chap and he did win the FA cup which was impressive, although they had a nice route to the final - Bournemouth home (ended up winning on a replay), Macclesfield away, Huddersfield away, Everton away, Millwall in the semi final and Man City in the final. Not that tough.
But Martinez Wigan Premier league stats
Played 152, Won 38, Drew 43, Lost 71, Goal Difference = -109, points = 157, average points per game = 1.03.

His record makes Owen Coyle look like a genius.
It is funny isn't it how a manager like Megson is made to look rubbish with a 1.3 average but Martinez is a top young manager with an average of 1.03.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think he should have mentioned that he would get Everton in the Champions League. That comment could come back to haunt him. Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are pretty much certainties for the top five spots.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Reebok Trotter wrote:I don't think he should have mentioned that he would get Everton in the Champions League. That comment could come back to haunt him. Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are pretty much certainties for the top five spots.

I can't think why the hell he has even said it to be honest, unless Everton are coming into some seriously huge money then they are more likely to be championship than champions league.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He says he will be getting Everton to qualify for the champions league ?

Big ask!

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

scottjames30 wrote:He says he will be getting Everton to qualify for the champions league ?

Big ask!

He has been sitting out in the sun too much this week.
If they lose Fellaini and Baines they don't have that great a team although they will get probably £35-£40m for the pair and will have money to spend but I think Everton will finish bottom half under Martinez. Cracking person, just a bit of an average manager IMO.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:He says he will be getting Everton to qualify for the champions league ?

Big ask!

He has been sitting out in the sun too much this week.
If they lose Fellaini and Baines they don't have that great a team although they will get probably £35-£40m for the pair and will have money to spend but I think Everton will finish bottom half under Martinez. Cracking person, just a bit of an average manager IMO.

I think they will be in a relegation dog fight.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum