Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Ever BWFC Strikers

+9
Sluffy
Keegan
Angry Dad
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 10:19

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So you're in charge of the game against QPR and you can choose any two stikers from Bolton past and present. Who are you going to choose to take the points off QPR?

I'm going for McGinlay & Blake. Power and finishing wins everytime.

2Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 10:30

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I'd prefer McGinlay and Andy Walker as they combined so well, but since this is pure fantasy how about McGinlay and Frank Worthington?

Although if it's just for one game maybe Fredi Bobic?

3Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like the "little and large" partnership if we're going to pretend to play 2 strikers from any era.

The best strike partnership I ever saw was Frannie Lee (92 goals in 139 appearances) and Wyn Davies (66 in 155) Wyn wasn't as prolific but he led the line like a warrior and was superb in the air - proper Welsh salmon (if only BKD was like that these days!)

Frannie's goal ratio over the 8 years he played for us is outstanding, but in mitigation they include a fair few penalties that he got having been tripped somewhere near the halfway line. I swear he could fly! Double the ratio of SJM and in the top flight too.

Sir Nat probably deserves to be ahead of Wyn D - difficult to argue against 255 goals in 452 games - and he'd be a great foil for Lee.

There is also a case for David Jack (144 in 295) but I'd go for Lee & Lofthouse.

Can't imagine why the likes of Bobic could even come into the reckoning. Liked him sure, but he was a loanee that only scored 4 in 15 appearances and 3 of those were in one game.

Lofthouse and Lee were goal machines whichever way you stack it up and would probably have made a great partnership.

4Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:04

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too many to choose from but Nat Lofthouse, Franny Lee, Frank Worthington and John McGinlay are my personal favourites.

Anelka and Gudjohnsen didn't stay around long enough to make them Wanderers legends.

5Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:06

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

To clarify: I only mentioned Bobic slightly tongue in cheek because of his hat-trick against Ipswich which was a massive turning point in a season where we were in serious trouble up to that point. We need that kind of boost now.

6Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:09

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Reebok Trotter wrote:Too many to choose from but Nat Lofthouse, Franny Lee, Frank Worthington and John McGinlay are my personal favourites.

Anelka and Gudjohnsen didn't stay around long enough to make them Wanderers legends.

Absolutely right RT, plus I don't see Anelka and Gudjohnsen being the kind of inspirational figure we need now.

7Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:18

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gudjohnssen anelka and Michael johanssen just off.

8Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 11:35

David Reeves, Tony Philliskirk and Tony Cunnigham.

9Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 12:02

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

xmiles wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Too many to choose from but Nat Lofthouse, Franny Lee, Frank Worthington and John McGinlay are my personal favourites.

Absolutely right RT, plus I don't see Anelka and Gudjohnsen being the kind of inspirational figure we need now.

Not one for the inspirational thing, we need goals and alot of them.

Anelka and Michael Ricketts for me.

10Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 12:07

We could have all these strikers and Coyle would play someone like Scott Green up front on his own.

11Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 12:15

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I'd imagine if he had the choice of any striker in world football we would still see K.Davies on the team sheet.

12Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 13:01

Kevin Davies in his prime and Anelka for me.

13Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 13:36

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I would also go with Lee and Davies, mcginley was not really a prem striker no disrespect to him as he was the fcukin dogs in the championship or whatever it was called then.

14Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote: I would also go with Lee and Davies, mcginley was not really a prem striker no disrespect to him as he was the fcukin dogs in the championship or whatever it was called then.

I'll tell you what, and I'm sure you'll agree, I'd rather have a Championship McGinlay than a Premiership Ngog.

15Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:27

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Anelka and Lofthouse for me. Anelka for his technical ability and Lofhouse for his ne'er-say-die attitude and knack for scoring crucial goals.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

16Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:42

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Jemson and Jardel

17Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:50

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Paul Fletcher

George Oghani

18Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 16:52

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:
xmiles wrote:

Not one for the inspirational thing, we need goals and alot of them.

Anelka and Michael Ricketts for me.
If it's all about goals - and I think that's the question - you can't look past Lee and Lofthouse

19Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 18:22

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Lets not forget Morgan Smile

20Best Ever BWFC Strikers Empty Re: Best Ever BWFC Strikers Wed Mar 07 2012, 18:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Copper Dragon wrote:George Oghani

Whenever I see or hear the name George Oghani I always think of this:

45. Beware the ironing board

Having never stolen from a supermarket, I can not be sure, but I would have thought that if you were going to pay for one item and steal another then it would be advisable to pay for the cheaper item.

That isn't exactly what happened when ex-Bolton striker Oooh George Oghani decided to buy an ironing board but steal a bag of screws at the same time. Over the years it seems to have been forgotten that it was screws he was trying to avoid paying for, it is always the ironing board that is remembered.

Poor George was caught and in an attempt to get away decided to whack the security man with the ironing board but in the end it did him no good and he had to make a court appearance.

The club supported him although gave him a final warning and he was to remain a Burnley player until he decided to try and re-arrange Chris Pearce's jaw the following year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum