Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jermaine Beckford is back to his best, says Sanmi Odelusi

+4
doffcocker
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

YOUNG Wanderers forward Sanmi Odelusi is backing his Reebok mentor Jermaine Beckford to go on a scoring spree after breaking his Championship duck for the club at Birmingham City.

Having seen the £1million summer arrival first-hand on a daily-basis in training, Odelusi is pleased to see him shake off the shackles and double his Whites account after his goal at Tranmere in the Capital One Cup.

The Londoner believes the former Everton and Leeds frontman’s goal in the 2-1 win at St Andrew’s was just reward for the work he puts in on the training ground.

Though that has not prevented some banter at Euxton between members of the strikers’ union.

Odelusi told The Bolton News: “It is about time he got a league goal.

“I have been bragging to him that I am the top scoring striker for a while.

“Now he is on my tail.

“Seriously, I am happy for him.

“He is a quality striker and has played in the Premier League.

“Hopefully, there are a lot more goals to come from him this season.

“Every striker has a bad period in their season or their career.

“It is how you overcome it.

“When that first goal comes, the test is staying focused and taking it on and Becks will do that in my opinion.”

In contrast to Beckford’s start to the season, Odelusi hit the ground running with two goals on his full senior debut in the first round of the Capital One Cup at Shrewsbury.

The 20-year-old also started in the next round at Prenton Park and teamed up with Beckford for four minutes before being substituted in the second half.

In the Championship, his appearances have been restricted this season to three cameos from the bench.

But Odelusi accepts he is still learning his trade and willing to be patient.

And he believes his game will develop quickly through training with the likes of Beckford, Craig Davies and David Ngog.

Odelusi added: “Every day is a learning curve for me.

“To see strikers like Jermaine, Craig and David in training and be around them is a delight.

“In my eyes, they are all Premier League standard.

“To see what they do in training first-hand and how they use the ball is great for a young oplayer like me and I am learning every single day.

“Jermaine talks to me a lot about how to be in and around the box as a striker and stay focused and composed.

“Zat Knight is also a big help in training passing on experience as the club captain.

“You can always go and talk to him – even if he is nearly double my age!

“All the senior players are there for advice if you need it.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:facepalm: 

Back to his best after one goal that the keeper should have saved?

Oh dear.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

He does see him in training everyday... 

That said, this will go one of 2 ways. 

His fluky goal will be exactly that - a fluke and he will stay shite, or... 

he will start to become the next best thing for 2 or 3 games, then pull a Holden and get crocked.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Beckford's goal was one Anelka would have been happy with. He pounced on the opportunity from the half way line, he's under pressure from two defenders, his pace and first touch takes it away from them, and the shot is inch perfect. Like Anelka, he has the ability to make slight opportunities look like easy goals.

Obviously, Klasnic would have scored it too, wouldn't he Nat?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Beckford's goal was one Anelka would have been happy with. He pounced on the opportunity from the half way line, he's under pressure from two defenders, his pace and first touch takes it away from them, and the shot is inch perfect. Like Anelka, he has the ability to make slight opportunities look like easy goals.

Of course, and put the header into the net rather than on the bar.

If Klasnic had been playing the first 10 games or so he'd have 10 goals by now.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:
Of course
Absolute bollocks.

The lazy bastard wouldn't have even challenged for the ball, let alone keep it from two defenders before scoring. Just look at the speed that Beckford's running at Natasha. Klasnic couldn't run like that with the greatest will in the world.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:

Klasnic finds it harder to miss chances like that, like Nat says, Klasnic would of scored 10 already, I miss him.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:
doffcocker wrote:

Klasnic finds it harder to miss chances like that, like Nat says, Klasnic would of scored 10 already, I miss him.

Fuck, I miss players like him at the Bok! Sad

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I can't think of 10 opportunities we've created that Klasnic would have converted and I think it's fair to say we'd create even less than we have with a player of his description in the team.
This idea that "he only needed one chance" is a myth. How many times did you hear a commentator say "well, you'd expect a player of his ability to have put that one away"?
I can think of several opportunities off the top of my head that he fluffed, including easier ones than Beckford's header.

The goal in question took several qualities that Klasnic didn't have as far as I'm concerned. Potentially great bit of business by Freedman.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
doffcocker wrote:Beckford's goal was one Anelka would have been happy with. He pounced on the opportunity from the half way line, he's under pressure from two defenders, his pace and first touch takes it away from them, and the shot is inch perfect. Like Anelka, he has the ability to make slight opportunities look like easy goals.

Of course, and put the header into the net rather than on the bar.

If Klasnic had been playing the first 10 games or so he'd have 10 goals by now.
Right place right time... wonderful finisher!  Where has it gone so wrong for the past two years?  Oh yes, defense and finishing.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Klasnic was a poacher. He hasn't got Beckfords pace. Comparing the two is like comparing chalk and cheese.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Potentially great bit of business by Freedman.
It's looking that way, we've done fantastic since he left.

I don't think the two ever met tbh.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sanmi should be focusing on forcing his way past Beckford into the starting line up instead of blowing smoke up his ass.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I can't think of 10 opportunities we've created that Klasnic would have converted and I think it's fair to say we'd create even less than we have with a player of his description in the team.
This idea that "he only needed one chance" is a myth. How many times did you hear a commentator say "well, you'd expect a player of his ability to have put that one away"?
I can think of several opportunities off the top of my head that he fluffed, including easier ones than Beckford's header.

The goal in question took several qualities that Klasnic didn't have as far as I'm concerned. Potentially great bit of business by Freedman.
I can think of 4 opportunities that Klasnic would have buried that Beckford has fluffed. And at least another 4 for Ngog.

And you should also remember that Klasnic was scoring goals against Premier League defences from the bench, Beckford can't even do it in the Championship.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:

And you should also remember that Klasnic was scoring goals against Premier League defences from the bench, Beckford can't even do it in the Championship.
Beckford was in a similar position to Klasnic at Everton and scored a similar amount of goals.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum