Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers priced out of bid for Bournemouth star Tokelo Rantie

+3
Culcheth_White
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bournemouth's club record signing Tokelo Rantie was one of the names on Wanderers’ radar this summer – but Dougie Freedman felt the price, on this occasion, was not right.

When the newly-promoted Cherries splashed out £2.5million to land the South African striker from Swedish club Malmo, they turned some heads among even the biggest spending clubs in the second tier.

Prior to Rantie’s arrival, ex-Wanderers trainee Matt Tubbs had been the most costly player purchased by Bournemouth, at around £750,000.

Freedman is a fan of the South Africa international, who admitted earlier this week that he is yet to fully settle in English football.

But the Wanderers boss reckons the sort of money being demanded for the 22-year-old – who was also being tracked by Celtic and Middlesbrough – was out of his reach at the time.

“We looked at the boy Rantie on a few occasions but the money that was quoted at the time was amazing,” he said.

“When you have got that sort of player in your team then you’ve got a chance.

“People forget that Eddie Howe has got some good players and it doesn’t durprise me that they have made a decent start this year. He’s got a good squad and a few Championship players in there as well who know the course and help you settle in that first year.”

Howe, pictured inset, spent two years at Burnley before moving back for a second spell at Bournemouth and helping them into the second tier for the first time since 1990.

“Eddie is a good young manager,” Freedman noted.

“Moving up to the north possibly didn’t suit him at Burnley but he got that second chance to go back to Bournemouth where it seems to fit.

“Eddie will have done his homework. They have a good home record and it will be a tough game for us but I just feel we have turned the corner a bit.

“There is a little bit more determination about us now.

“We’re going there to make sure we keep the game at least close.

“If we’re in it, then I have always thought we’ve got the players to go and win it.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never heard of him.

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

He's made 3 appearances so far, for the Cherries and he hasn't scored yet. No doubt, he'll score tomorrow! Rolling Eyes

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Watch out for the Burnley fan Marc Pugh. :footy: 

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Look at the quote in the article ..... "our aim is to keep the game close"

My aim would be to get a point and/or hammer them..... but it is Bouremouth...I forgot it's another powerhouse side.

Doog ...... have some bloddy ambition lad !!!!

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Quotes like this make me want to tear my hair out and scream in frustration. 'Our aim is to keep it close'. Does that mean he'll be happy if we lose one nil? Come on Dougie, surely our stated aim for every match should be to win or at least get a positive result (eg a decent away draw against someone like QPR who came down from the prem last time) especially when we're playing a team who hadn't been this HIGH in the professional game for more than twenty years? 

It simply hands more ammunition to those who believe you should be gone already and those who think you're short of bottle. I'm afraid you're not helping yourself with these statements no matter how well intentioned they might be or how sporting and polite you think you should sound.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Like I've already said lucky if this is what he's saying to us just imagine what he says to the players? And we wonder why they look dejected and nervous!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum