Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jay Spearing dismisses Millwall 'Spy-Gate' theory

2 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FORGET mind games – it has been more a case of guessing games in the Wanderers camp this week as Dougie Freedman attempts to solve his Reebok riddle.

Can the Glaswegian out-wit Steve Lomas as he did Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe last weekend and earn a first home win in eight attempts? Or will recently-departed loanee Liam Feeney divulge some trade secrets that give the Londoners an edge?

Whilst it has lent an intriguing edge to the build-up for this afternoon’s game, it is much ado about nothing in the eyes of Jay Spearing, who admits that even the players under Freedman’s charge know nothing about the manager’s exact tactical masterplan until Thursday morning.

“Liam knows the lads,” said the midfielder and acting skipper in Zat Knight’s absence, “but even we don’t know what the gaffer is going to do until Thursday or Friday. We’re all in the dark too.

“No-one knows what his plan will be until he puts it to us on a Thursday morning and we work out bits and bobs and ways we can cause them problems.”

Wanderers struggled to get the better of Millwall on two occasions last season – losing at The Den in what was Owen Coyle’s final game in charge last October and then suffering a frustrating draw at the Reebok in early January.

The Lions won the physical battle on both occasions but Spearing believes after a six-game unbeaten run, things may prove to be different this time around.

“They are a difficult side to play against and the squad they have put together this season is much stronger,” said the 24-year-old, who got the vote as the North West Championship player of the year at this week’s awards night.

“The system they play can be difficult to break down.

“We have been working in training over the last few days on how we can cause them problems, and I think the lads have got their head round it.

“I think there is enough strength to change the plan because we’ve got two or three players in most positions now fighting to get a shirt.

“The competition should make us better and we know if we’re not on our toes, the gaffer will change things. The squad are very together at the moment and we’ve become a better unit.”

Wanderers’ last home win came against Middlesbrough back in April and put them into the top six with just two games remaining.

Since the failure to beat Blackpool on the final day things have followed a similarly frustrating pattern as Freedman’s side have failed to put the likes of Ipswich, Yeovil and Sheffield Wednesday to the sword.

Spearing admits the run is starting to become a concern but is careful not to let it overshadow the build-up to the game.

“It is something in the back of our mind but we can’t let it affect our game too much, we need to concentrate on how to beat Millwall,” he said.

“Of course, we’re massively looking forward to getting those three points at home but if it doesn’t come (today), we must make sure we don’t get beat and then we move on to the next one.

“We’ll be going into the game thinking about nothing else but getting three points. The squad know it’s just a matter of getting the game killed off early doors.

“We’re not drawing games on purpose. We’re trying our hardest to finish teams off.

“The fans have always been brilliant, home and away, and backed the lads right the way through.

“They need to know that we are trying our hardest, we’re going at teams trying to win. If you look at the games at home, more often than not we’ve been the team on top for the majority. We’re not exactly sitting back and letting people dominate.”

Spearing was awarded Liverpool’s young player of the year just two years ago but after beating Jordan Rhodes and Tom Ince to the Championship prize on Monday night he admits he is no longer in possession of the trophy.

“My mum and dad have had it,” he smiled. “They are very proud.

“I’ve got a lot to thank them for – they have backed me all the way through my career with my family. This is a little payback for them to thank them for everything they have done.

“I also owe another thanks to the fans who voted for me. It means a lot.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

“No-one knows what his plan will be until he puts it to us on a Thursday morning''

Seriously Jay, 15,000 bolton fans rocking up at the reebok today knew exactly what Dougies formation and ''plan'' would be about a month ago.

Shame I didn't go to this awards thing I could have done the lad a favour and told him a couple of nights before Dougie told him.

he admits he is no longer in possession of the trophy.

“My mum and dad have had it,” he smiled.
===============================================================

100% scouse, through and through.

They even steal off their own flesh and blood........

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum