Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Watford 0-1 Bolton

+23
Banks of the Croal
wessy
Culcheth_White
observer
Sluffy
Weststandupper
Norpig
Boggersbelief
Natasha Whittam
Keegan
luckyPeterpiper
Reebok_Rebel
boltonbonce
wanderlust
BoltonTillIDie
scottjames30
Angry Dad
Whitesince63
karlypants
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
kennster
MartinBWFC
27 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

61Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 18:56

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton claim 1-0 win away to Watford

An awful mistake from Manuel Almunia enabled Bolton to claim their third successive victory as faltering Watford slumped to their third straight home defeat following a 1-0 loss at Vicarage Road.

The game's decisive moment came in the 26th minute when the Hornets goalkeeper dropped a routine Neil Danns cross beneath his legs and Jermaine Beckford converted from close range.

The home side had chances to level although Danns perhaps should have put the game to bed, but was denied by a good save from substitute Watford goalkeeper Jonathan Bond.

Gianfranco Zola made six changes to his Watford side, largely as a result of injuries, and it was their opponents who had the first opportunity when Danns' cross was just too high for Beckford.

Danns was then afforded the space to improvise and send an overhead kick wide before Watford created their first chance when it took a fine block from Matt Mills to repel a Josh McEachran goal-bound strike.

But it was the visitors who made the breakthrough in the 26th minute due to a horrible mistake from Almunia.

Any danger seemed to have been dealt with when the Hornets goalkeeper bent down to gather a Danns low cross from the right. Having got the ball within his grasp, though, the former Arsenal stopper let it squirm loose through his legs and Beckford gleefully capitalised.

Watford did their best to get back on terms before the break with debutant West Brom loanee George Thorne shooting over from 20 yards.

Nyron Nosworthy then hit an acrobatic half-volley narrowly over following a corner before Fernando Forestieri curled wide after playing a give-and-go with Daniel Pudil on the edge of the penalty area.

Almunia failed to reappear for the second half as he was replaced in goal by Jonathan Bond, fresh from making his England Under-21 debut earlier in the week.

Diego Fabbrini was also introduced 10 minutes after the restart as Zola switched to a more attacking formation. And within five minutes his side were almost level when Forestieri hit a good shot from 20 yards but Andy Lonergan was equal to it.

Soon after, though, Chung-Yong Lee almost put daylight between the two sides when he was put clear and he tried to lob Bond but missed the target.

Watford continued to have the bulk of possession and territory but the absence of a cutting edge in the final third meant their promising build-up play often ended with shots from distance that were either blocked or missed the target.

Indeed, it was Bolton who came closest to scoring again when Danns capitalised on a slip from Pudil before cutting back inside, but Bond was equal to his left-footed shot as he saved with his legs.

Danns also had another opportunity with two minutes of normal time remaining but his strike from the right side of the area was deflected over.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

62Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 19:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"We made the right decisions and we didn't allow Watford to create many goal scoring opportunities."

"In the second half they changed their system and made it difficult for us but I thought defensively we were very sound."

"It was a good away performance, we are picking up some momentum and I want to thank the fans once again."

"Neil Danns, Chung-Yong Lee and Darren Pratley’s energy levels were great today."

63Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 20:48

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Just shows how much crap was spoken on here when we hit the buffers with a poor start, it was pretty obvious at some point we would turn it around.

So all you doom mongers saying Dougie is shite, sell all the team get rid of Gartside. How silly are you starting to feel. or are you still waiting for the wheels to fall off.

It must be tough being a fan of a winning team what the hell can you complain about now!!

Over to you the Doom mongers ? you know who you are.lol

64Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 21:25

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:Just shows how much crap was spoken on here when we hit the buffers with a poor start, it was pretty obvious at some point we would turn it around.

So all you doom mongers saying Dougie is shite, sell all the team get rid of Gartside. How silly are you starting to feel. or are you still waiting for the wheels to fall off.

It must be tough being a fan of a winning team what the hell can you complain about now!!

One or two of us kept the faith wessy. We are still not out of the woods yet but results like today certainly make things look more positive heading towards December. The Boro game will be a tough test of character but if we can get something from that game we might have a very happy Xmas.

65Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 21:35

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Nice run going, think we have the players now who can at least make the play offs

Goalkeeper
Back four
Central Midfield
Beckford... all playing well and a few more in reserve, things are definitely looking up.

66Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 22:45

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Good game and result, but why the hell does Dougie keep playing Pratley? He's shite.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

67Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sat Nov 23 2013, 23:08

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Wessy it was never obvious we'd turn it around and there is still no certainty we have. The only thing to change is results, the football is still highly questionable. Everybody's happy we've now pulled ourselves away from the bottom and certainly credit to DF for making us harder to beat but the football's still pretty poor and until we're beating teams comfortably there'll be no celebrating from me. So far so good but don't get ahead of yourself or you may look pretty silly in a few weeks. Also, stop trying to make clever points over those of us who questioned Freedman we all want the best for Wanderers. The jury is still very much out on him yet but fair play to him after recent results which hopefully will continue.
wessy wrote:Just shows how much crap was spoken on here when we hit the buffers with a poor start, it was pretty obvious at some point we would turn it around.

68Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 00:00

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman: Run has been coming

The Whites claimed their third consecutive win on the road with a whole hearted display at Vicarage Road and Dougie Freedman believes his squad is cut out to meet the demands required in the Championship.

Speaking pitch side after the final whistle, the boss explained how he was pleased with the energy on show and believes it was only a matter of time until the results starting coming.

“I thought in the first half we played very well and we were good on the ball. We showed Watford our capabilities going forward.

“In the second half they changed their system and they made it difficult for us but I thought defensively we were very sound. We made the right decisions and we didn’t allow Watford to create many goal scoring opportunities.

“It was a good away performance, we are picking up some momentum and I want to thank the fans once again. They were amazing from start to finish and they stayed right behind the team. They understand that we are putting everything on the line and it is a great day for the club.

“I am trying to build a team that can handle the Championship. We have the energy and the legs to cope with the demands of the division.

“Neil Danns, Chung-Yong Lee and Darren Pratley’s energy levels were great today. It takes time, we have had our ups and downs but with the fans behind us anything is possible.

“We are on a high today and I believe it has been coming. We have to be a bit more patient in terms of success and I am trying to bring some younger players into the team.

“Jermaine is taking his opportunities now and today’s goal was a bit fortunate the way it come to him. He gets in the right areas and he scored a good striker’s goal. The team played well today.”
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

69Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 02:34

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Whitesince63 wrote:Wessy it was never obvious we'd turn it around and there is still no certainty we have. The only thing to change is results, the football is still highly questionable. Everybody's happy we've now pulled ourselves away from the bottom and certainly credit to DF for making us harder to beat but the football's still pretty poor and until we're beating teams comfortably there'll be no celebrating from me. So far so good but don't get ahead of yourself or you may look pretty silly in a few weeks. Also, stop trying to make clever points over those of us who questioned Freedman we all want the best for Wanderers. The jury is still very much out on him yet but fair play to him after recent results which hopefully will continue.

I agree with white on this. Personally I never wanted Dougie sacked but nor do I have blind faith in him or the 'style' he seems to want to play. I don't know if he's the right manager in the long term or not and although recent performances and results have been encouraging we are still a long way from where many posters myself included thought we would and should be at the start of the season. I hope that woeful start was our 'blip' and that we don't see the sort of lethargic gutless displays we got against the likes of Ipswich Town but I'd be lying if I said I believed it was impossible or that we had indeed turned the corner and become world beaters. 

I'm encouraged, very encouraged by the way things are going right now and I hope Dougie can keep it up but I won't claim a solid belief that he can. I think I'm like a lot of other Trotters fans, I really WANT Dougie to be a brilliant manager who can take us back to the Prem and keep us there while entertaining us with good football but I don't KNOW he is such a man YET. To be honest I'd prefer to answer that at the end of this his first FULL season in charge. I don't doubt some will always claim he's a moron just as some will always claim he's a genius no matter what happens on the pitch. I am more interested in deciding where on the scale he is based on his actual results rather than on an opinion at what is after all still barely a third of the way through the season. 

Wessy, I do NOT predict doom and gloom but nor am I going to say we've reached Utopia. At fifteenth in the table we are in no position to sing 'Hallelujah' but with sixteen out of the last twenty four possible points being won, with a win I really didn't expect us to get today and a team that looks like a cohesive unit that knows what is expected of it and does it for the first time in a while I do feel there's room for optimism. We're going in the right direction but we haven't arrived yet and it may be a while before we do.

70Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 03:06

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Whitesince63 wrote:Wessy it was never obvious we'd turn it around and there is still no certainty we have. The only thing to change is results, the football is still highly questionable. Everybody's happy we've now pulled ourselves away from the bottom and certainly credit to DF for making us harder to beat but the football's still pretty poor and until we're beating teams comfortably there'll be no celebrating from me. So far so good but don't get ahead of yourself or you may look pretty silly in a few weeks. Also, stop trying to make clever points over those of us who questioned Freedman we all want the best for Wanderers. The jury is still very much out on him yet but fair play to him after recent results which hopefully will continue.

I agree with white on this. Personally I never wanted Dougie sacked but nor do I have blind faith in him or the 'style' he seems to want to play. I don't know if he's the right manager in the long term or not and although recent performances and results have been encouraging we are still a long way from where many posters myself included thought we would and should be at the start of the season. I hope that woeful start was our 'blip' and that we don't see the sort of lethargic gutless displays we got against the likes of Ipswich Town but I'd be lying if I said I believed it was impossible or that we had indeed turned the corner and become world beaters. 

I'm encouraged, very encouraged by the way things are going right now and I hope Dougie can keep it up but I won't claim a solid belief that he can. I think I'm like a lot of other Trotters fans, I really WANT Dougie to be a brilliant manager who can take us back to the Prem and keep us there while entertaining us with good football but I don't KNOW he is such a man YET. To be honest I'd prefer to answer that at the end of this his first FULL season in charge. I don't doubt some will always claim he's a moron just as some will always claim he's a genius no matter what happens on the pitch. I am more interested in deciding where on the scale he is based on his actual results rather than on an opinion at what is after all still barely a third of the way through the season. 

Wessy, I do NOT predict doom and gloom but nor am I going to say we've reached Utopia. At fifteenth in the table we are in no position to sing 'Hallelujah' but with sixteen out of the last twenty four possible points being won, with a win I really didn't expect us to get today and a team that looks like a cohesive unit that knows what is expected of it and does it for the first time in a while I do feel there's room for optimism. We're going in the right direction but we haven't arrived yet and it may be a while before we do.
But what happens when the loan players return to their clubs?  Hopefully we can keep a few of them and WBA lets Dawson go.  Then we're talking about moving on up!

71Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 08:39

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Luckypeterpiper great post couldn't have put it better myself. I've been one of DF's biggest critics and still hold doubts longer term but fair play to him he's stuck to his guns and done it his way. Like you I hope he turns out to be the man and stuffs my doubts back down my throat but only time will tell. I'd obviously like to see a little more football and my biggest complaint still stands in that he's not getting the best out of some of our squad with his tactics and team selections but fair play to him he's getting the results we need so for today at least well done Dougie please keep it up.

Observer, I agree it will be interesting to see what happens when loan periods end but you never know there may be even better options under the microscope and they will be more likely to be financed if we're further up the table.

72Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 08:47

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We've beaten Bournemouth who are on a shocking run, Millwall who are always shite and an out of form Watford. It's a start but to say we have "turned the corner" is laughable.

When we start beating the likes of Burnley, QPR, Leicester etc I'll start to believe that Freedman has half a brain. But it won't happen.

Same shite tactics against Watford, same clueless midfield with no creativity, same useless forwards who can only score when the ball is dropped at their feet 2 yards from goal. Nothing changes, and it won't be enough to beat the better teams.

Fair enough, if all you think we should be doing is surviving in this league then Dougie is your man, but if Bolton have bigger ambitions then Dougie's cautious attitude won't get us in the top 6.

Yesterday was a pisspoor performance mark my words, it's just the defence seems to be holding firm right now so it doesn't seem as bad.

Oh, and if that ponce Beckford wears gloves again in mild temperatures I'll cut his hands off.

73Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 10:59

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Keegan wrote:Good game and result, but why the hell does Dougie keep playing Pratley? He's shite.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

74Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:05

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Some on here aren't happy unless we are losing. When you have a poor run the only way to even start to turn the corner is to be hard to beat, then to grind out results, this has been achieved in recent weeks and we have been fairly comfortable in all three away games and at home against Millwall. Boro away will be a test, they are likely to get a decent crowd in as the home tickets are half price so we need to be strong in the first 20 minutes and frustrate the crowd, if we get another positive result at Boro and a draw is a positive result and follow that with good performances at home then we will be in reach of the play off places. This league is a battlefield, nobody is blowing anybody away on a regular basis even Leicester and Burnley win by the odd goal most weeks. There are no Real Madrids in this league there isn't the quality.

75Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NickFazer wrote:Some on here aren't happy unless we are losing.
Some on here aren't happy unless they can delude themselves that 3 wins against shite opposition is the stepping stone to world domination.

You used to be a respected poster Mr Fazer, not anymore. I demand you remove yourself from the site.

76Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 11:57

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NickFazer wrote:Some on here aren't happy unless we are losing. When you have a poor run the only way to even start to turn the corner is to be hard to beat, then to grind out results, this has been achieved in recent weeks and we have been fairly comfortable in all three away games and at home against Millwall. Boro away will be a test, they are likely to get a decent crowd in as the home tickets are half price so we need to be strong in the first 20 minutes and frustrate the crowd, if we get another positive result at Boro and a draw is a positive result and follow that with good performances at home then we will be in reach of the play off places. This league is a battlefield, nobody is blowing anybody away on a regular basis even Leicester and Burnley win by the odd goal most weeks. There are no Real Madrids in this league there isn't the quality.

Hit the nail on the head for me.

77Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 12:02

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:
NickFazer wrote:Some on here aren't happy unless we are losing.
Some on here aren't happy unless they can delude themselves that 3 wins against shite opposition is the stepping stone to world domination.

You used to be a respected poster Mr Fazer, not anymore. I demand you remove yourself from the site.
Natasha, I most humbly apologise, but I have had a severe case of writers block, or wankers cramp, whicheever suits you best.

78Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 14:04

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Ooooh... that wankers cramp is a nasty piece of business - you have to change hands mid way and everything.

Or so I've been told.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

79Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 14:50

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's a lot of extreme views being expressed.
To save us from what looked like relegation form early doors, Dougie introduced a system to survive in this league. The football isn't great but I'm not complaining because we've stopped losing every week. 
Dougie's system seems to involve defending in numbers and putting in a massive shift closing down in midfield which is why Pratley gets the occasional game  - not pretty but he works hard and does a job for the team. 
The main benefit is that we've stopped shipping stupid goals and the system seems to be working fine at this level.
The main downside is that we don't attack in numbers and we don't have the talent to keep the ball for long so we're under the cosh a lot. Premiership teams would be good enough to take advantage of that.
To some extent, Dougie's plan almost requires us to score first - and then sit back and hope we can  hold out and maybe score on the break.
I think it will be a few seasons before we have a squad that could challenge for promotion and have a realistic chance of staying up if we got there.
Overall, I'm happy with the way it's going. Dougie seems to have stopped us throwing money away on overpriced players, has some decent talent coming through and is keeping us going in this league whilst they come along.
But we're clearly nowhere near good enough to dominate this league this season so I won't be getting carried away.

80Watford 0-1 Bolton - Page 4 Empty Re: Watford 0-1 Bolton Sun Nov 24 2013, 14:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Please let us know this "talent" that is coming through, I haven't seen any evidence of talented young players under Dougie.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum