Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Former Bolton star Delroy Facey arrested in connection with alleged match fixing

+2
Hipster_Nebula
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A former Wanderers player has been arrested in connection with the alleged fixing of football matches.

The Daily Telegraph has reported that Delroy Facey is one of six men held by officers from the National Crime Agency.

The national newspaper claims it is part of the biggest match-rigging scandal for decades and that match fixers from Asia were targeting games in Britain.

Along with Facey, aged 33, who played 10 games for Wanderers between 2002 and 2004, scoring one goal, and is now an agent, the Telegraph says at least three of the men arrested were footballers.

It is the first time in decades that police have amassed sufficient evidence to hold those suspected of trying to fix a match in Britain, following a succession of similar scandals abroad.

The Telegraph reported that on Wednesday evening the agency said: “Six men have been arrested across the country as part of an NCA investigation into alleged football match fixing. The focus of the operation is a suspected international illegal betting syndicate. The NCA is working closely with the Gambling Commission and the Football Association.”

The identities of the teams involved cannot be disclosed for legal reasons, as the police operation is understood to remain active. However, they are not Premier League sides.

The suspected match fixers are being held under the bribery and fraud Acts at a police station in the Midlands. It is understood the Crown Prosecution Service has been liaising with police officers in recent days.

Source

Last edited by karlypants on Wed Apr 29 2015, 17:05; edited 2 times in total

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Former Bolton Wanderers player found guilty of conspiracy to commit bribery

A former Bolton Wanderers player has been found guilty of conspiracy to commit bribery.

Delroy Facey has been on trial at Birmingham Crown Court in an alleged match fixing case.

More to follow...

Source

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

FFS Gartside!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We should never have sold him. Strong and pacey. Just what we lack.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:We should never have sold him. Strong and pacey. Just what we lack.

i remember seeing him play for us, he was a donkey Very Happy

Norpig wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:We should never have sold him. Strong and pacey. Just what we lack.

BRYAN   :whistle:

16 clubs in a 17 year "career" tells you all you need to know about this clown.

And a record of only scoring 1 goal every 6.2 games has me wondering why they didn't pick someone a little more useful when trying to alter the outcome of games, because let's face it, he'd have had more chance of rigging results by using a hammer and a key to the floodlights fuse box than his footballing ability.

Wanker.

(And like Norpig, I saw him play for us and he was shite.)

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jailed for 2 and a half years!

A former Premier League striker has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after becoming the highest-profile player to be convicted of match-fixing allegations.

Delroy Facey, aged 35, who played for Bolton Wanderers, West Bromwich Albion and Hull City, was found guilty at Birmingham Crown Court today of conspiracy to bribe non-league players.

He had denied any wrong-doing during a three-week trial, claiming he thought two corrupt businessmen offering him up to £15,000 for his part in the plot were "class clowns" whom he decided to "humour".

Judge Mary Stacey said Facey's offences struck "at the very heart of football".

"You have been a role model, but you have abused that position," she added.

The trial heard that Facey urged a footballer at a struggling non-league club to make some "easy money" by fixing the result of a match.

He also told a contact that some Football Conference teams would "do" a game in return for payment.

Facey's co-accused, former non-league player Moses Swaibu, of Tooley Street, Bermondsey, south London, was convicted of the same charge.

Judge Stacey, sentencing both men, said: "It's about the fans of the teams involved, the families who follow the fortunes of their teams with passion, loyalty and devotion.

"They assume that all the players in those teams will be sharing in that and playing their hardest and best.

"It's also about the employees and staff, groundsmen, coaches, the cleaners, even the owners and share-holders, the match stewards - many of whom will have been volunteers.

"You have betrayed all that trust, all that confidence, and it's like a cancer at the heart of football."

She added: "Your behaviour strikes at the very heart of football and the concept of gamesmanship.

"It crossed my mind that so many of the different pieces of terminology in everyday speech we use, in fairness and justice, are used in football - things like 'it's a fair game', or 'a level playing field'.

"Fairness is at the heart of football, and the opportunity of everyone to do their best, and your behaviour has struck right at the heart of that."

She said the pair were "both willing participants" but that Facey had been "far more the initiator and prime-mover, expending far more of your time on this enterprise - even when you were at work".

Judge Stacey added: "Both of you, to slightly different extents, have lived the dream of professional football, as is every small boy's dreams.

"You, Delroy Facey, played not only in the Premiership but also internationally for Grenada and had the opportunity to work with managers such as Sam Allardyce and Sven Goran-Eriksson, and so many people would have given their eye teeth to play football at that professional standard that you had."

Turning to the reasons why both men had committed their crimes, she concluded: "In both cases, your motivation was financial greed."

Facey, from Huddersfield, played 10 times for Bolton in the top tier of English football between 2002 to 2004, and was originally arrested in November 2013.

He began his professional career with Huddersfield, where he impressed before moving on to Bolton, where he scored one goal.

Source

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:
Norpig wrote:

TOP MARKS FOR NOT TRYIN...  :whistle:

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Norpig wrote:

Do you think he wears a tshirt and tie combination

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Well... 

What can I say, anything concerning dodgy dealings with agents and the like seems to always concern us...

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

y2johnny wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Norpig wrote:

Of course, met him once, couldn't take my eyes off him...

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:

Not quick enough, wanted him quicker...

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
y2johnny wrote:
Norpig wrote:

Of course, met him once, couldn't take my eyes off him...

See ya later inovater

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

The judge said that he was a 'role model'. What the hell is she talking about? A role model for who? he was just a journeyman who journeyed between 16 clubs and was useless to all of them.
A role model ,my arse.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum