Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tyrone Mears stalling on "heavily sponsored" move from Bolton to Blackpool

+4
luckyPeterpiper
Boggersbelief
Norpig
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tyrone Mears’ loan move to Blackpool was thrown into doubt last night despite Wanderers offering to fund the transfer.

Dougie Freedman said the club had volunteered to “heavily sponsor” the deal but that the final decision would be left to the full-back.

Mears is understood to have other options, and according to sources close to Blackpool, was distancing himself from a deal with Paul Ince’s Championship strugglers.

But with Wanderers looking to raise cash for incoming transfers this month, it appears they are putting pressure on the 30-year-old to make his choice.

“Tyrone Mears has the opportunity of going to Blackpool,” Freedman said. “We are going to heavily sponsor the deal so he can go and get some first-team action.

“I have left that decision with Tyrone, as I did when he was asked about Millwall.

“He said ‘no’ back then, but now it’s back over to him again.

“I think he needs some football because he hasn’t played regularly since I have been here. I know he broke his leg before that, so it’s been two years plus.

“He has been given the opportunity and the chairman has been very good because we’re very heavily sponsoring this. We will pay a large amount to let him go and play some football.”

Freedman played down the importance of Mears’ exit in his own transfer plans but accepts cuts still have to be made in the playing budget.

“That is always the tricky point,” he said. “People forget we’re in a business – that is all about balancing the books.

“We’ve come down from the Premiership and we’re still holding a bit too much money, if we’re honest.

“You have to be realistic and I have got to be very honest and open. I think I have been.

“If we are going to bring someone in, the books have to be balanced somewhere. It isn’t necessarily one in, one out. But there has to be a concession.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

why are modern footballers like this? He will still get paid and you would think he would be jumping at the chance to get a game somewhere. His contract is up at the end of the season and you would think that he would want to put him himself in the shop window so he can steal a living for another few years yet.

Its a sad state of affairs when journeymen players like Mears are probably already millionaires and are just happy to not play and count their cash, what happened to their professional pride?

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Surlely this unprofessional? You can't just refuse to work..

Sack the greedy cunt

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:Surlely this unprofessional? You can't just refuse to work..

Sack the greedy cunt
Unfortunately it's not quite that simple Boggers. Mears could argue that he is prepared to work by playing for BWFC whenever selected and the fact he isn't playing now is not his responsibility but the managers. His refusal to play elsewhere while under contract to us is unfortunately his right. Before I start castigating him too much I'd like to know WHY he's refused the move to Blackpool. If he feels he's only going to warm a bench there as well then who can blame him? I don't really believe this is a case of a man saying 'Nah, can't be bovvered guv; gonna stay in bed and count me dosh all day instead innit?' . I suspect mears is just as aware of his lack of match football and the short time left on his deal as everyone else and is hoping to get something where he's guaranteed a game every week in order to prove his form and fitness for a new potential employer.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He does have that right however that's nothing to do with the fact that he's being a cock.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:He does have that right however that's nothing to do with the fact that he's being a cock.
I'm not saying he isn't being an idiot mate, I just want to know why he's behaving this way before I make a full judgement. Has he been told he'll DEFINITELY get a game at Blackpool? Has he been given any kind of assurance about his future such as 'impress and get a permanent deal' by Ince or has he been left in the dark about what happens when the deal expires? I know he's gonna get his money either way from now till summer but if he doesn't believe the move is going to help him or his family in the longer term then why should he take it? Would you go work somewhere else if you didn't think the new job would help your family in the long run or put more money in your pocket? He doesn't owe BWFC anything either, he's an employee who came here to do a job for a wage agreed by the club and it's not his fault if the club paid him too much is it? If I was Tyrone Mears right now I'd be looking at any possible deal with a new club very carefully and want to know what happens next season before I commit to anything. I'd want to be very sure I was going to play and that I'd get a chance to secure a permanent deal for next season before I agreed to move.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Him and Coyle are twats.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Stupid Burnley bastard, he did the same thing when offered the Millwall chance earlier in the season and said no to that.

Fuck off Tyrone, go and do what your paid to do and play football!

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:He does have that right however that's nothing to do with the fact that he's being a cock.
If I was Tyrone Mears right now I'd be looking at any possible deal with a new club very carefully and want to know what happens next season before I commit to anything. I'd want to be very sure I was going to play and that I'd get a chance to secure a permanent deal for next season before I agreed to move.
The guy is apparently on around £25K a week and he's not played regular football for around 2 years now (he's also shit imo) I'd love to know what possible deal Mears can get out of this situation?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Culcheth_White wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:
If I was Tyrone Mears right now I'd be looking at any possible deal with a new club very carefully and want to know what happens next season before I commit to anything. I'd want to be very sure I was going to play and that I'd get a chance to secure a permanent deal for next season before I agreed to move.
The guy is apparently on around £25K a week and he's not played regular football for around 2 years now (he's also shit imo) I'd love to know what possible deal Mears can get out of this situation?
That's just my point Culceth. He knows he hasn't played, that his value as such is somewhat low in terms of what he can get elsewhere but even worse from his point of view is the possibility NO ONE will sign him after his current deal expires. He's got to find a place to play from now until the end of this season to put himself in the shop window so to speak. If Blackpool were saying he's guaranteed a run of games to do that then yes he should have gone but if they're only using him as a squad filler then why would he? This month is his only chance to find someone, anyone who can give him a real go at being on the pitch week in week out till summer and so he'll be looking to keep his options (whatever they may be) open for as long as he can. 

Personally I don't blame him for that. I might not have much RESPECT for him but I can see his point of view. I'd still like to know what was actually said to him and what the club means by "heavily sponsored" because it's an interesting phrase that doesn't really tell us anything. Also, if the deal was good (ie he's on the same wage and will be playing every week or close to it) then why would he NOT take it? Has he told Dougie he wants to stay here and fight for his place or a new deal? 

There's a lot of noise been made by the club that paints Mears as the bad guy and he might well be that but there's a distinct lack of specifics coming from anyone and Tyrone himself (so far as I know) hasn't said anything publicly at all. Perhaps it's just a personal thing, maybe he didn't hit it off with Blackpool's management or perhaps he felt a bad vibe about the place. I think it's very easy to judge Mears here but I'd really like to hear from HIM before I start saying it's all his fault and he's a nasty little money grabber who's deliberately sabotaging our club. To be honest I don't trust anything the BWFC hierarchy say about transfer moves at all and haven't done for some time so before I decide to castigate either side here I'd like to hear more concrete facts and a lot less meaningless soundbites.

Pete, you're giving this far too much thought.

He's a twat on big money who thinks he can pick and choose who he plays for.

He ain't playing for us because he's not even good enough to figure in our shaky back four.

Unfortunately for him, he's just a mediocre footballer who got lucky with his contract at Bolton cos Gartside's a dick but that in itself won't guarantee a big money move.

He'll be at Orient in a couple of years, regaling his hangers-on with tales of The Big Time when he played for the mighty Burnley and Bolton.

Along with Sordell and various other players who were too greedy and happy with what they'd got to actually try being top-flight footballers.

Let's face it, Simon Rudge and  Graham Bell would probably be on about 8 grand a week nowadays.....

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I still think Mears is being an absolute arse! Dougie has made him train with the development squad recently. Dougie has even circulated various clubs about Mears's availability. Personally, I think Mears is just digging his heels in deliberately, just to piss Dougie/us off.

I could maybe understand Mears turning down Millwall, for family reasons  Sad  but not fooking Blackpool for christ sake! No pay cut, playing games??

Just a rumour, but from what I've heard, mears is a real kcunt at the club.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's off to Huddersfield

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Boggersbelief wrote:He's off to Huddersfield
No he's not!

Sponsored content