Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

We need better players, says Bolton Wanderers boss Dougie Freedman

+6
aaron_bwfc
doffcocker
NickFazer
Keegan
guest66
karlypants
10 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman made a desperate plea for new signings after witnessing Wanderers’ worst result in 32 years.

Describing the shocking 7-1 defeat at Reading as “embarrassing” the Scot launched an astonishing attack on some of his players, claiming they were not good enough to compete in the Championship.

Freedman says his hands have been tied since inheriting a collection of highly paid ex-Premier League stars – and insists the result at the Madejski Stadium highlighted the massive deficiencies in his squad.

“The nucleus of this group of players, which has been here for three or four years, needs to change,” he said. “It’s as simple as that.

“Until I get some recruitment in and am able to make some changes, moving forward is a very, very difficult thing to do.”

Reading took an early lead through Adam Le Fondre – who went on to score a hat-trick – but missed a chance to equalise when David Ngog burst clean through on goal.

“We miss the chance of the day and then all of a sudden a handful of players collapse,” he said. “We are very fragile.

“This has lingered around the club for three or four years. “I know it is my job to pick them up and make sure they give honest performances but frankly some of them are not up to playing Championship football and winning games.

“That means I need to get enough recruitment in here to win games of football.”

Asked whether he could move players on wholesale during the current transfer window, a frustrated Freedman claimed the wages earned by some of his players had deterred other clubs from making offers.

“I’ve only got 15 or 16 senior players and I can’t trade them,” he said.

“My phone hasn’t gone once in 15 months for any of them.

“They are not good enough and anyone can see that.

“It’s time for one or two players to step up because these are unacceptable performances.

“As the manager I need to get some more players in.”

Quite what the reaction will be from within the Wanderers dressing room to Freedman’s comments remains to be seen but the manager called his squad in for an extra training session yesterday to address the current problems.

The Glaswegian is adamant that he can still get results out of this group of players and avoid a battle against relegation from the Championship.

“I know exactly what I need to do,” he said.

“I need to get some honesty in there – and sometimes we’ve seen that on a Saturday afternoon and sometimes you don’t.

“When you go into this business you have got to expect the ups and downs of football management. This is a real down. It isn’t something you look forward to but it’s something that happens to a lot of managers and something you have to deal with and make sure it doesn’t happen again.

“I need to make sure there is a reaction to it. “What it tells me is that the football club is in need of recruitment, simple as that. “We need to bring in players that show better than what we have just seen.”

Source

guest66

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

What players are going to want to play under this useless tw*t now? Losing the plot, and clearly the players now. As a manager he should keep those thoughts personal, and put the defeat on his own shoulders. Look at your own tactics before blaming anyone else.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

We complain when his comments seem less than honest and we complain when he seems to be speaking from the heart. He's absolutely right, the current squad is shit. They need to know that we all know and they also need to understand that if they plan to be footballers after their current contract ends, improved attitude and performances are required.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Losing 7-1 has nothing to do with tactics, formations or systems and everything to do with throwing the towel in because you have no commitment to the club that pays your wages and no pride in your own performance as a "professional". 

If Freedman loses his job over this result then he can't complain as its his job to organise and motivate this bunch of losers but in my opinion there is a long list of candidates that deserve to be shown the door in front of Dougie. The very least you should expect from any player is that they put in the effort and sadly it would seem that from 1 to eleven we can't even count on that. Whether Dougie stays or not we need a complete clear out of the 1st team squad and start again from scratch, if the likes of Pratley still have time left on their deals it must be worth paying them off. It is not surprising that Freedman hasn't had any offers for any of them they are a disgrace.

Most supporters [me included] will put up with a poor team that tries 100% but to surrender in that manner is unacceptable.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Sluffy, I agree 100%. He has protected them long enough, if the poor souls can't handle the truth then show them the door.

NickFazer wrote:Losing 7-1 has nothing to do with tactics, formations or systems and everything to do with throwing the towel in because you have no commitment to the club that pays your wages and no pride in your own performance as a "professional". 

If Freedman loses his job over this result then he can't complain as its his job to organise and motivate this bunch of losers but in my opinion there is a long list of candidates that deserve to be shown the door in front of Dougie. The very least you should expect from any player is that they put in the effort and sadly it would seem that from 1 to eleven we can't even count on that. Whether Dougie stays or not we need a complete clear out of the 1st team squad and start again from scratch, if the likes of Pratley still have time left on their deals it must be worth paying them off. It is not surprising that Freedman hasn't had any offers for any of them they are a disgrace.

Most supporters [me included] will put up with a poor team that tries 100% but to surrender in that manner is unacceptable.

Excellent post.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Keegan wrote:We complain when his comments seem less than honest and we complain when he seems to be speaking from the heart.

I agree with this.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Odd thing to say in the position we are in but this could seriously come back to haunt Dougie. Coyle did something similar the season we went down after a game and looked what happened with that.

Somethings need to be kept in house and some of those comments did not need to be aired.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:

Somethings need to be kept in house and some of those comments did not need to be aired.

Aaron, if your boss publically called you shite at your job would you:

a) Pull a strop and stop giving your all
b) prove the bastard wrong by giving 100% and improving your output

If it's (a) you should be playing for BWFC.

::bellend:: 

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Obviously b, but do you not think this will give some of the lazy bastards like Ngog and Lee another exuse to play badly and just blame it on the boss ''not giving them confidence''.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:Obviously b, but do you not think this will give some of the lazy bastards like Ngog and Lee another exuse to play badly and just blame it on the boss ''not giving them confidence''.

Maybe, but that sort of player will never succeed even if they have a bit of quality (which they don't). If footballers still need someone to put an arm round them at this level they should be fucking ashamed.

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sorry but I thought it was the managers job to motivate the team at his disposal and give the necessary kick up the ass if needed ? The wanker has been in the job for 12 months and we are now in a far worse state than when he arrived ? The guys a tit

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tigermin wrote:Sorry but I thought it was the managers job to motivate the team at his disposal and give the necessary kick up the ass if needed ? The wanker has been in the job for 12 months and we are now in a far worse state than when he arrived ? The guys a tit

He is indeed, doesn't change the fact the players should be giving more regardless of who is in charge.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm glad he's shamed the overpaid wankers, hopfully they will try in the next game.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

This only going to end one way IMO and that is with Dougie joining the dole line.

Once a manager loses the players and most of the fans turn on him too then he isn't going to last long.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Tigermin wrote:Sorry but I thought it was the managers job to motivate the team at his disposal and give the necessary kick up the ass if needed ? The wanker has been in the job for 12 months and we are now in a far worse state than when he arrived ? The guys a tit

Not really, we've stood still if anything.

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The easy solution is to fire Dougie but the best solution is to get shot of the following by hook or by crook, in no particular order.

Phil Gartside
Zat Knight
Chung Yong Lee
Tyrone Mears
David Wheater
Stuart Holden
David Ngog
Craig Davies
Darren Pratley

some of these are incompetent, some are injury prone and some are not turning up for work even when fit but none of them have been earning their keep for two seasons. I am firmly of the opinion that nothing will seriously improve until all these and many more are gone.

Last edited by NickFazer on Mon Jan 20 2014, 22:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Left out Dazzler)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum