Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Froch v Groves 2

+3
scottjames30
Norpig
Sluffy
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Froch v Groves 2 Empty Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 12:56

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Cant wait!

Carl Froch v George Groves rematch is on after two fighters agree May 31 date and a split purse
Promoter Eddie Hearn insists the Carl Froch v George Groves rematch will break all box-office records for a British fight, and is anticipating a crowd of 80,000 if he can secure Wembley Stadium

Froch v Groves 2 Froch-groves_2820921b

Carl Froch has proven to be a man of his word by taking the world title rematch with George Groves - and the fighters have agreed to split the purse.

The two British supermiddleweights announced the rematch on Thursday morning, with promoter Eddie Hearn insisting the contest will break all box-office records for a British fight, and is anticipating a crowd of 80,000 if he can secure Wembley Stadium.

The date for the fight is May 31 but the venue is yet to be confirmed.

Froch beat Groves to retain his WBA and IBF super-middleweight titles when referee Howard Foster stopped the fight in the ninth round in controversial circumstances last November, insisting Groves was in no condition to continue.

Groves, however, had knocked Froch down in the first round, and was ahead on all three of the judges' cards when the fight was stopped.

The IBF have since upheld an appeal by Groves, and ordered an immediate re-match, citing Foster's misinterpretation of the ending.

In spite of the attritional relationship between the two men, indications that a deal had been struck were there on Tuesday when BoxingScene.com quoted the International Boxing Federation president, Daryl Peoples, as saying: "We have been informed by Carl Froch's people and George Groves's people that they have come to an agreement, so it will not go out to purse bids.

"It is an excellent fight, great for the IBF and the UK, and I understand that there's been quite a demand for it. They're two top-notch fighters. We haven't been notified of a venue just yet - they're trying to finalise those details - but I understand that the contracts will be with us soon."

By all accounts, Hearn is still looking at several venues, among them Old Trafford, the Etihad, Wembley, Twickenham, Emirates, Nottingham Forest, or even the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports, said: "It's the fight that everyone is waiting for and it's live only on Sky Box Office. The first bout offered incredible drama and bravery from both men and I'm sure we'll see something similar in May.

"The fight forms part of an incredible month of live sport on Sky including the end of the football season, Test cricket, F1 Grand Prix, golf and Super League."

Promoter and managing director of Matchroom Sport, Eddie Hearn, said: "Quite simply, I believe this is one of the biggest fights in British boxing history. It was one of the most epic and exhilarating fights I have ever witnessed and I'm delighted the public are going to get a chance to see it all again.

"The unanswered questions from the first fight may now be answered. Get ready for a whirlwind of a build-up and an event and fight for the ages - Froch v Groves II is on."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/10635597/Carl-Froch-v-George-Groves-rematch-is-on-after-two-fighters-agree-May-31-date-and-a-split-purse.html

2Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 13:14

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it may have been contoversial to stop it when it was stopped but i think Froch would have stopped him soon after that anyway.
He showed what a great fighter he is, coming back from the knock down and being behind on points, can't wait for the re-match.

Not paying for Sky box office, i watched the last fight on a great stream on the internet so will do the same next time.

3Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 13:59

I didn't pay for the first fight because I thought it'd be a non-event with Froch winning easily, so I listened on the radio.

I will deffo be getting it this time. (I'm old skool and don't like watching live sport on an internet stream - I likes me sport on me telly!)

Too close to call it this time, I think.

They're both very capable fighters and it could go either way on the night.

Like Sluffy said, can't wait!

4Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 14:03

Going try and get tickets for this, the last fight I saw was a complete joke (Haye vs Harrison) so I'm confident I'll do better this time.

Froch was caught by Groves last time, he certainly wasn't prepared for the way Groves started the fight so be interesting to see whether he'll have an answer to him the time. Tough to pick a winner but I've got a feeling Groves might just take this.

5Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 16:24

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I think Groves might finish him this time, be an attacking fight.

6Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 16:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I hope froch gets knocked out, he's such a bellend.

7Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Thu Feb 13 2014, 23:52

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:I'm old skool and don't like watching live sport on an internet stream - I likes me sport on me telly!

You can still stream to your TV if you know how  affraid 

8Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Sun Feb 16 2014, 12:37

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Groves is a whining tit, now he's asking for the first fight to be struck from the record .
What the fuck is wrong with him?
I expect froch who i dont like either to get in great shape and make this whinging git look a prat, no way is he going to get caught early like last time and he will be allowed the time by the ref to either ko groves or kill him as groves seems to want.
Groves has been non stop campaining for the rematch and calling froch a coward unless he gives him one and now he's saying froch has made a mistake giving him one what a fucking nutcase.

9Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Sun Feb 16 2014, 12:41

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't think this will go the distance, general hatred between these two.

I think both will get to see stars, Groves is not the favourite , that's why i'm going to back him again.

10Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Sun Feb 16 2014, 12:49

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

scottjames30 wrote:I don't think this will go the distance, general hatred between these two.

I think both will get to see stars, Groves is not the favourite , that's why i'm going to back him again.
I agree with most of that scott i just think froch knows now what he's got to do and i think groves is losing it big time could be wrong i just dont see groves doing anything different but froch will i see an earlier clean ko or stoppage in favor of froch, either way none of them are likable.

11Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Sun Feb 16 2014, 14:02

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:I don't think this will go the distance, general hatred between these two.

I agree with most of that scott i just think froch knows now what he's got to do and i think groves is losing it big time could be wrong i just dont see groves doing anything different but froch will i see an earlier clean ko or stoppage in favor of froch, either way none of them are likable.

Froch will train harder, the first fight will motivate him, I want Groves to win though, not because I like him, I tend to back the underdog.

I think it'll be an explosive build up, again.

I might change my mind on the winner a-few times before the fight, now i'm 50/50 couldn't call it.

12Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Tue Mar 04 2014, 21:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Going to be held at Wembley!

Wembley Stadium will stage the rematch between Carl Froch and George Groves on 31 May, with the fight likely to set a British post-War attendance record.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/26422792

13Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Tue Mar 04 2014, 21:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Emirates lost out to Wembley Stadium because they reckon they can sell more than 60,000 tickets!

14Froch v Groves 2 Empty Re: Froch v Groves 2 Tue Mar 04 2014, 22:30

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Apparantly only a day or so after an England international

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum