Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman confident Bolton Wanderers are now a match for any Championship team

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman sent out a strong message after blitzing Blackburn Rovers in the derby – claiming his Wanderers side were now ready to take on all comers in the Championship.

In what was the biggest win over their local rivals in 86 years, goals from Medo Kamara, Joe Mason, Jay Spearing and Andre Moritz made for a special day in what has been a frustrating season so far.

But speaking after the game, Freedman – who has on occasion been critical of his side during spells of poor form – believes the players have now emerged stronger for their experiences in the last seven months.

“I’ve tried not to blame, point fingers at individuals or find excuses because I have heard them all before,” he said. “I’m sitting here and saying to you guys that I am very comfortable with whatever team comes at us now.

“If they want to mix it, we can do it, if they want to try and play football against us, we can do that as well.

“I’m 18 months into this job and seeing a team that is starting to mould and one that can compete in different games, not just fall away.”

Wanderers moved up just one place to 18th but now have a nine-point lead over the bottom three.

While Freedman admitted he could not pick out a single star man in what was perhaps the best performance of his tenure at the Reebok, he did reserve praise for his midfield, who were outstanding on the day against a Rovers side that are currently chasing the play-offs.

“I don’t think you can dig out one player for man of the match, everyone gave a good solid and professional job,” he said. “It starts, though, with a strong spine in your team.

“From your goalkeeper, centre-backs, midfield and the lads up top, they were excellent.

“But I thought that was some of the best football that Mark Davies has played for me – his movement was a pleasure to watch.

“I wanted to play a formation to allow Neil Danns to put himself about. He set the tone right away.

“And Medo and Spearing led by example in the middle of the park. Your captain is your core, and it’s pleasing to see him dictate how a game is going to go.

“I try not to make too many excuses when players are not available but when they are, it means I can set people about different roles.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

When half the team is on loan from other clubs it just makes this guff sound even more ridiculous.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:When half the team is on loan from other clubs it just makes this guff sound even more ridiculous.
Yes I agree!

We will be back in the same situation as we were at the start of this season when all the loans go back.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There's probably a deal to be done for Danns, but the rest will fuck off and we'll be left with a pile of crap.

Considering Dougie loves to talk about the long-term plan, it's clear there isn't one.

Mason should be available for under a million? Unless he goes on a good streak to the end of the season. But if Cardiff go down they may look to retain him. I'd like the Juke but can't see us getting him, probably won't get either to be fair.

Even so, Dougie's shown he's got an eye for a player, with so many leaving the club has no choice but to bring a few in. Im far more confident in his transfer ability than Coyle.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I agree with Nat.

Natasha Whittam wrote:Considering Dougie loves to talk about the long-term plan, it's clear there isn't one.

Said it so often it's getting boring, he's clearly made more of an effort towards a long term plan than any of our previous managers. Reducing the average age of the first team, targeting younger players, signing talented youngsters from rivals and bringing Jamie Fullerton in to oversee development.

He's said we should start to see some results next season - which would be a pretty quick turnaround, so I'll judge the success of his long term plan then.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

Even so, Dougie's shown he's got an eye for a player, with so many leaving the club has no choice but to bring a few in. Im far more confident in his transfer ability than Coyle.

He's shown a bit of an eye for a loan player - when the risk is minimal.

He's shown no eye for permanent signings which should worry everyone.

Whether signed on loan or permanently having an eye for a player is the same thing.

I disagree with you anyway, I think Beckford, Moritz and Medo are all good players for this league, in fact out of all his permanent signings I don't think any have been a disastrous waste of money.

Even Craig Davies was signed very cheap so I think we can get a bit back for him if he was to go.

Majority of his signings are youth players who we'll have to wait to judge.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

He's shown a bit of an eye for a loan player - when the risk is minimal.

He's shown no eye for permanent signings which should worry everyone.
So this is the next stick to beat Dougie with and what a complete load of bollocks it is.

He hasn't signed many permanent players for one bleedin' obvious reason.

And yes it's a concern that the particular ones he's loaned to get us through the season may be priced out of the market by their respective clubs, we all know Dougie has the balls to walk away from ransom and the ability and contacts to find someone else to do the job that we can actually afford.

When Dougie dumps the out of contract players and tries to flog the remaining high earners in the summer I'd expect him to have a completely different list of targets lined up for permanent signings - possibly better players than the ones he's loaned.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:He hasn't signed many permanent players for one bleedin' obvious reason.

Craig Davies - not given a chance before being sent out on loan. Allegedly he had personal problems before he signed and Dougie ignored them.

Rob Hall - useless and we all know it.

Baptiste - may have been "free" but is stealing £25k a week from us, awful player and one of the reasons we're down the bottom.

Tierney - shit before he got injured.

Moritz - injury prone ponce - has he actually been fit for two games running? And when he is fit he's shit.

Medo - average at best, hardly set the world alight.

Spearing - ditto

Have any signings been a success?

I'll revise that list for you Nat - 

Craig Davies - 'Allegedly he had personal problems before he signed and Dougie ignored them.' - Never heard this, what personal problems are they?

On the positive side I think we'll be able to recoup most of the transfer fee should we sell him, but a bad move overall if he isn't up to it mentally.

Rob Hall - Too soon to judge very quick and still only 20 I think he'll be a good player for us.

Baptiste - Good going forward, hasn't been great the other way. I'd still have him over Sam Ricketts at the moment but not justified his big wages.

Tierney - Too soon to judge, has he even played 10 games for us?!

Moritz - When he's fully fit he's looked class to me. Not on a  big wage and certainly not a bad signing.

Medo/Spearing - Maybe they'll work better in the new formation, but I'd say they're probably a bit similar. I'd take Medo over Spearing if I have to choose.

Beckford - 9 goals this season after a slow start and a few weeks out now, a really good addition IMO goalscorers aren't easy to find.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum