Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day!

+5
doffcocker
Numpty 28723
Natasha Whittam
boltonbonce
karlypants
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Did you manage your 5-a-day?

Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Vote_lcap9%Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Vote_rcap 9% [ 1 ]
Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Vote_lcap91%Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Vote_rcap 91% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 11

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 am

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As Scott has pointed out, the "experts" say we should be eating our 7-a-day of fruit and veg and now not 5-a-day.

I feel that 7-a-day is a huge amount to consume and I didn't even make 5-a-day!

Did you ever eat 5 portions of fruit and veg every day?

How do you feel about eating 7 portions a day?

2Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:36 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Only 2 a day for most of my life.

3Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:00 am

Do chips count as veg?

4Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 am

Got my 5 most days, 7's stretching it a bit though, do they all have to be different as well for them to count?

5Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:19 am

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I get 3 a day at most, but my body is in perfect shape.

Exercise will do you a lot more good than eating a few apples.

6Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:59 am

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If an orange is one, does a tangerine still count as one or is it only half? Not to mention grapes? It's so confusing.

7Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:24 am

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Does it still count if you put custard on it?

8Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:07 am

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm no doctor but I've really gotten into this lately and done a lot of research, so I'll share with you some useful info on the 5-a-day lark.

*Each portion has to be different to count. If you have a banana in the morning, and another at night, it only counts as one.
*Potatoes don't count. Others that are distinctly disqualified are yams, cassava and plantains, whatever they are.
*There's a limit to how many of the five can be in liquid form. You could have 5 different juice drinks, but it would only count as 1 or 2. The most any amount of any smoothie can give you is 2.
*Variety of colour is important. That's not to say 5 different portions of the same colour don't count.
*Storage is important. Fruit/veg that isn't stored properly loses a lot of the nutrients that are useful to your body.
*There's a lot of surprising ways of getting one if your five a day in. A lemon slice in your drink counts, as does a spoon of tomato puree, a lot of party dips like houmous and guacamole count.
*Wine and cider don't count. Apparently the fruits lose their goodness in the fermenting process.

On average I manage 4 a day. 7 is definitely pushing it.

9Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:54 am

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I try too but fail miserably most days - and they keep shifting the goal posts anyway!

I try to have a glass of juice most days - but the latest research says that liquid fruits are not effective and should not be counted!

Also I prefer to have tin fruit after a meal - because fresh fruit goes off if it doesn't get easten in time - and that now apparently is WORSE than having no fruit at all - due to the sugar in the juice I think?

So at a stroke 2 of my regular 5 a day have just be blown out of the water!

I had also mistakenly thought for a long while that potato's was a banker for being one of my 5 a day - only to find out some months back, that they didn't count at all!

Now it seems that veg is more important than fruit - that they no longer carry equal weight with each other so to speak - so although I still enjoy my salards - I now find that I should be having a meal with two veg also, sometime throughout the day too!

I never counted having tomato ketchup as being one of my five but did think having a double portion of broccoli, cauliflower, peas or whatever would count as two of my five - nope, wrong again!

I like to think I lead a normal family life, so I think most people will struggle to meet the old target of 5, let alone 7 - per day.

I can only think that familys with a stay at home parent, who cook a traditional evening meal as any real chance of hitting the target regularly, whilst the rest of us wail fail miserably!

I guess the Sluffy household really does needs to try much harder!

10Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:09 pm

If you leave an orange in the fruit-bowl too long, what happens?

It goes green and and it would be a bad idea to eat it.

Leave a cup of coffee on your desk for a week and what happens?

It forms a green skin on top and before any smart arse says it's penicillin, no it's not, it's a different mould altogether and it's bad for you.

Therefore, I have concluded that nature's way of telling you that food is bad for you is to make it green.

As a result, I avoid salad and veg like the plague.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.....

11Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Orange peel has more nutrients and goodness in it than the orange segments themselves!

12Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:25 pm

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What happens if you eat your 5/7 a day? What happens if you don't?

13Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:19 pm

You live 5/7ths as long as someone who gets their full quota in......

Durr...!  Very Happy

14Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:42 pm

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

With the price of fruit and veg these days, for your typical family of 4 I would have thought they would find it difficult to eat 5 or even 7 portions per day due to the cost.

I called in Tesco last night and for 5 "pink lady" apples the price was £3.00!

15Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 pm

But you can get a whole pineapple in Asda for 75p.

Bargain!

(If you like pineapple, that is.)

16Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:55 pm

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Has anybody here had dragon fruit? They sell for about £2 each, but if they looked as bad as they taste, nobody would touch them.

17Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:57 pm

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Has anybody here had dragon fruit? They sell for about £2 each, but if they looked as bad as they taste, nobody would touch them.
Yes!

Inside is like a white/grey with black seeds in it.  Haven't had one for a long time though.

Never bought one from ASDA though, I have normally had them in Asia.

It's not overly sweet by the way.

Try one you might like it! Smile

18Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:00 pm

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

karlypants wrote:
doffcocker wrote:Has anybody here had dragon fruit? They sell for about £2 each, but if they looked as bad as they taste, nobody would touch them.
Yes!

Inside is like a white/grey with black seeds in it.  Haven't had one for a long time though.

Never bought one from ASDA though, I have normally had them in Asia.

Try one you might like it! Smile

The one I had was like a rotten kiwi, minus any sweetness.

In fairness it had been whoopsed to 10p.

19Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 pm

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Doffcocker, you've not told us any stories about your adventures in Asda for ages. Do tell.

20Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Empty Re: Getting your 5-a-day is now 7-a-day! Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:19 pm

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:But you can get a whole pineapple in Asda for 75p.

Bargain!

(If you like pineapple, that is.)
I wouldn't have thought they would be big ones for that price or sweet and juicy for that matter?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum