Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Wanderers are finally shaping up, says manager Dougie Freedman

+5
Boggersbelief
Reebok_Rebel
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
karlypants
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It may have taken longer than he would have liked, but manager Dougie Freedman believes he has finally got Wanderers playing in the style he wants.

Tuesday’s 2-1 victory at Doncaster was a sixth win in the last 11 Championship matches – a run that includes one solitary defeat at home to Brighton.

And that game at the Keepmoat Stadium epitomised Freedman’s current philosophy perfectly.

Wanderers started on the front foot attacking at will, switched to protect their lead and then adapted again to wrestle back control of the match to see out the win.

Freedman believes his side now have that Championship knowhow they were missing at the start of the season.

He said: “When I look back a year, although we are in a different position, I like what I am seeing now because I know we can go and control games.

“We can express ourselves and that comes with a change in personnel.

“It has taken me a long time to get playing the way I want to.

“Last year we had certain personnel and had to work to play a certain way with them.

“I think we have had balance in the last dozen or so games. We have a bit more running in us and can mix it a bit more physically now.

“The Championship throws all sorts at you and you need to be more physical at times. You have to match that.

“This year has been very frustrating with a transition on the field because we need to pass the ball through midfield, through the Medos and Spearings.

“It might not give you chance after chance but it is a more attacking and attractive way of playing and we have seen glimpses of it like at Leeds and against Blackburn at home.

“We can certainly pass and score goals.”

The style of playing with just one orthodox striker is not universally liked, with some dissenting voices amongst the Whites faithful.

When Freedman opted to withdraw goalscorer Joe Mason in favour of the more defensive Liam Trotter on Tuesday, there were some boos and chants of “4-4-2” from the 700-strong away following.

The boss acknowledges the fans’ desire to play with two up top but insists he will do whatever suits each game to get his team accustomed to winning consistently at Championship level.

Freedman added: “I know the fans want to see us play with two strikers and I want that as well.

“But I don’t want us to bash it up there with two strikers.

“I felt we needed to get more control of the game (at Doncaster) with 15-20 minutes to go and the change did that.

“There are reasons why I make changes and I like to think I know what I am doing at Championship level and how to win in this league.

“We are a Championship club at present and we have to compete to win games at this level to become a Premier League team again.

“I’m not critical of any football fan because I am one myself.

“But you get Twitter and things these days with people saying we should be doing this and that or ‘Who’s Jutkiewicz? he has only scored once this season’ – then people are singing his name.

“I get all that – I don’t have a problem with that.

“The simple fact is that we need to win games in this division and we need to play a certain way at certain times to do that and I am not embarrassed to admit that.

“On Saturday at Huddersfield we were asked a question of being resilient and going to the end and we did that and won.

“Then we played a little bit of a different shape at the beginning at Doncaster and really caused them big problems and won there as well.

“The start was so good and that was what won us the game.

“For the next 35 minutes I was very disappointed how we didn’t get a hold of the game so I had to change it a little bit to make sure we had more control.

“Ten minutes into the second half I felt we needed to go back to a more conventional 4-4-2 and then that didn’t work either because we were a bit too deep.

“What pleases me is that I have options on the bench to change things and that wasn’t there for me last season.

“We are approaching games in the right manner and have the right personnel to hurt teams away from home now.

“I want to finish with a few wins at home as well and make the crowd understand we can win at the Reebok as well as on the road.”

Source

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

oh good, i can't wait for next season now, the thought of watching us defend a lead at all costs is almost too exciting to think about

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cardiff, Sunderland and QPR will be shiting themselves next season, they won't dare let us score first.

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wow. I feel optimistic now.

Lets see how optimistic we feel at the start of the season when we have sold all our half decent players, Juke and Mason have left and we refuse to pay the megre transfer fees (sorry Ransoms) the parent clubs are asking, Fat Phil lets DF spend NOTHING and we have to beg and borrow the dregs of what nobody else wants on loan for a few weeks at a time...

we are defo on the up...

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It's just another in a long line of ridiculous statements from Freedman.

It's as if the first 25 games of the season were just a warm-up and don't count. We had a much better run towards the end of last season but that counted for fuck all when this season kicked off.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

As long as we win it's fine by me. I'm sure you negative bores will continue to moan though

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The key word in this is "finally".

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:As long as we win it's fine by me.

Obviously when you're sat in your armchair at 3pm on a Saturday it doesn't matter how the team plays.

A 5-4 victory is no more exciting than a 0-0 draw when the scores are read out at 5pm is it Boggers.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

:rofl:

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Obviously when you're sat in your armchair at 3pm on a Saturday it doesn't matter how the team plays.

A 5-4 victory is no more exciting than a 0-0 draw when the scores are read out at 5pm is it Boggers.

Whether I'm an armchair fan or not, I still support bolton wanderers...

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

I bet its still as hard from your armchair, as from the East Stand Boggers. Very Happy

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've only been an armchair fan for this season. I'm not paying to watch people like zat knight kick a ball around. I only pay to watch players better than me

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You're right, its mugs like Nat that makes Zat laugh out loud. Very Happy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:You're right, its mugs like Nat that makes Zat laugh out loud. Very Happy

I haven't paid to watch a game at the Reebok in over two seasons.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:You're right, its mugs like Nat that makes Zat laugh out loud. Very Happy

I haven't paid to watch a game at the Reebok in over two seasons.

You've paid with precious time, Boggers can turn his radio off and watch Baywatch.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Boggersbelief wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

An armchair fan does not support any team! The armchair fan only follows the fortunes of the team.
As an example, let's say SCUM fans that say they are supporters but never enter the shithouse. These folk might as well wear Coronation Street tshirts as far as supporting their team goes. They are followers, nothing more, nothing less.

JohannesburgWanderer

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

I would disagree with you Soul Kitchen, I have no choice but to be an armchair fan as I live 5,796.6 miles away. This doesn't stop me following BWFC results on line everytime they play and being as passionate as if I was at the game. When we got relegated my wife couldn't understand why I was so miserable, "it's only a game" she said, after that comment I went to the pub to drown my sorrows!!!! Every time I come home I go to watch my team , my 12 year old daughter has a "Bolton Babe" t - shirt from the club shop and proudly tells people who her team are and is a veteran of 2 Reebok Stadium tours. I was a season ticket holder until 1999 and went to my first game in 1973 (Bolton 3 Luton Town 0). I was in tears for 22 seconds on Wednesday night until Bayern scored against SCUM!!!! So in summary I don't "support" Bolton with my hard earned cash often but do supoort them every time they play and if we did go bust I could not and would not support any other team.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum