Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are We A Christian Society?

+7
Norpig
doffcocker
Sluffy
boltonbonce
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

1Are We A Christian Society? Empty Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 11:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

David Cameron is getting a bit of stick this morning for saying Britain is a Christian society - people from all walks of life with nothing better to do have been condemning him for suggesting such a thing.

Surely he's right. Everyone on here is a Christian right? Ok, a lot of you faithless fools claim to be atheists (probably just to appear cool in my opinion) but I'm guessing those of you that are married were wed in a church and those with kids had them baptised.

Why are people scared to admit they follow God? He is the light in my life and he can be yours too.

So do you think we live in a Christian society?

2Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 11:33

It's the traditional view of Britain that many conservatives like to think is still true, in reality it's not anymore. We're one of the most diverse countries in the world, and most people don't connect their lives with christianity in anyway - aside from enjoying the bank holidays like Christmas and Easter.

I don't think he's wrong to say it, Im sure plenty of people like to think it. If he truly believes that though it shows he's out of touch with most of the country.

3Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 11:40

"I'm guessing those of you that are married were wed in a church"

Nope.

Elvis did us in Las Vegas.

$400 all-in, wrapped up in less than 30 minutes.

It was beautiful.

Shove your god up your arse, Whittam.

4Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 11:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman, not everyone marries hookers.

5Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 11:58

That's not very "christian" of you, is it......?

And the correct term is "Sex Worker."

Thought that with your employment history, you'd have known that.....

6Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:20

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

So we're not a multi-cultural, multi-faith society any more? 
NB: Christianity in all it's forms has declined by 12% in 10 years and it's the only major religion that has had any decline - unless "not stated" is a religion.Are We A Christian Society? Article-2246436-167624DA000005DC-625_634x508

7Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:33

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I was quite alarmed, but frankly, not surprised that Cameron has taken the walk down the rabbit hole.

likening his "work" to that of Jesus of Nazareth, scary when you consider the deeper implications, how far removed is being told by a voice in your head (because thats what it is) to cut benefits, than being told to blow up a bus? But I think his sickening gloating is incredibly disingenuous and if I was a practicing Christian, I would deeply turned off. 

He's jumping back to the far right as a counter to the UKIP bubble, trying to capture the anti immigration, anti "other" vote, and of course... the bigot vote, don't forget the BNP consider their movement a christian one. Sadly a political tactic and nothing more.

as for the definition of "christian" it's not black and white, I.E I'm a "christian" therefore I go to Church, I pray, I baptise my kids.

I've heard many people say "I'm christian but I don't believe in god," I wouldn't use that term personally, but they take it to mean christian as in live a "good" "kind" "loving" life, strange to me, but many people think that way for some reason.

8Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:That's not very "christian" of you, is it......?

And the correct term is "Sex Worker."

Thought that with your employment history, you'd have known that.....

I'm guessing your sex worker wife has never been Preston Businesswoman of the Year two years running?

9Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:41

We've got lumps of it round the back.

10Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:So we're not a multi-cultural, multi-faith society any more? 
NB: Christianity in all it's forms has declined by 12% in 10 years and it's the only major religion that has had any decline - unless "not stated" is a religion.Are We A Christian Society? Article-2246436-167624DA000005DC-625_634x508

You make my point perfectly. The vast majority of people in this country are Christians, hence we are a Christian society.

11Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:44

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I was quite alarmed, but frankly, not surprised that Cameron has taken the walk down the rabbit hole.

likening his "work" to that of Jesus of Nazareth, scary when you consider the deeper implications, how far removed is being told by a voice in your head (because thats what it is) to cut benefits, than being told to blow up a bus? But I think his sickening gloating is incredibly disingenuous and if I was a practicing Christian, I would deeply turned off. 

He's jumping back to the far right as a counter to the UKIP bubble, trying to capture the anti immigration, anti "other" vote, and of course... the bigot vote, don't forget the BNP consider their movement a christian one. Sadly a political tactic and nothing more.

as for the definition of "christian" it's not black and white, I.E I'm a "christian" therefore I go to Church, I pray, I baptise my kids.

I've heard many people say "I'm christian but I don't believe in god," I wouldn't use that term personally, but they take it to mean christian as in live a "good" "kind" "loving" life, strange to me, but many people think that way for some reason.

You really are a cynical person, you need to get out more. Not everyone has an agenda.

What happened to you?

12Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:49

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I was quite alarmed, but frankly, not surprised that Cameron has taken the walk down the rabbit hole.

You really are a cynical person, you need to get out more. Not everyone has an agenda.

What happened to you?

Politics is by it's very nature an agenda

13Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:53

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Politics is by it's very nature an agenda

Just because a politician says something doesn't mean it's politics related. Perhaps Cameron is just proud of his faith. Like me.

14Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm not sure why anyone would be proud to believe in something without evidence.

but of course we make exceptions in that area.

If the PM had come out and said he has a deep faith in fairies and leprechauns I dare say he'd be fighting for his job at this point.

15Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would be proud to believe in something without evidence.

but of course we make exceptions in that area.

If the PM had come out and said he has a deep faith in fairies and leprechauns I dare say he'd be fighting for his job at this point.

You need to read the bible, all the facts you need are contained in that book.

I'm sick of you faith-bashing, you will regret it when you die.

16Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 13:14

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Eye of a needle. Camel. Cameron.

17Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 13:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

The big difference between the west and the Muslims - after all I think that is what everybody means but are to PC to say it - and I'm talking in general, not just on here - is that in the west, religion, politics and the law are all three autonomous from each other, whereas Muslims have them all combined basically into one and that is why their religious leaders are so powerful in their communities.

Religious teachings to the young therefore take on massively more importance to them, as it is a means of control and education (indoctrination for life perhaps?) - just like the Christian church was all powerful in the west centuries ago, when excomunication meant you were definitely going to hell and people truly believed that - just like the Muslim martyrs believe now that they are going to their heaven for their deeds.

As per usual it is the wisdom and integrity of the leaders that matters far more than the religion itself. Hitler was a chritistian (as far as I know?) and he led a genocide against the jews, Saddam Hussein was a muslim who gassed his own people - you would not have wanted either one of them popping around for tea at yours, would you?

Religion and / or politics have probably been behind every war ever started since history began - makes you wonder why we've not learned our lesson by now and choose to live in peace instead?

18Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 13:23

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

There has never been genocide or gassing at my church, and that's all I care about. Nutters might start wars in the name of religion, but true religious people like me are all about peace and love.

19Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 14:21

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:There has never been genocide or gassing at my church, and that's all I care about. Nutters might start wars in the name of religion, but true religious people like me are all about peace and love.

Very Happy 

20Are We A Christian Society? Empty Re: Are We A Christian Society? Mon Apr 21 2014, 14:40

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i'm all for Christian values and to be peaceful and charitable to others, but i'm a confirmed atheist. Organised religion causes more problems than it solves.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum