Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should The Voting Age Be Increased?

+4
Lyric Todkill
gloswhite
largehat
Natasha Whittam
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Mon Apr 09 2012, 14:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Had some Labour pleb at my front door this morning wanting to know if she could count on my vote in the local elections. Although I'm 32 she clearly thought I was about 21 as she kept talking about the youth vote and how Labour are doing great things for the 16-25 year olds.

Anyway, when I'd finished abusing her and my cleaner had calmed me down, I got to thinking about voting. Should we really be trusting 18-25 year olds with a vote? Let's face it, the vast majority of 18-25 year olds can't even write properly, should we really be letting them have an influence on the future of our country?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Franchise reform has been a political hot potato for 200 years. I personally think the current system is spot on, all adults get one vote, except people in prison.

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Two sides to this. Whereas us old farts all want to vote, many of the younger generation see no point, believing one vote won't make a difference. The current policy is good, (I thought prisoners had, or were getting the vote... human rights and such), so do we carry on making decisions with a low turnout, or do we include the younger ones, who have as much right to express themselves as anyone else. Personally, I believe it should stay at 18, as its more likely that people of that age are becomng more aware of all sorts of influencing factors. (I know there will be exceptions, but as a generalisation, it suits)

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

no job, no vote

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Always said , if you're old enough to fight for your Country.

Then you're old enough to Vote.

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Lyric Todkill wrote:no job, no vote

Spot on

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why shouldn't the unemployed vote?

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

Cant always help being unemployed. Does that mean all the retired as well ?

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Mr Magoo wrote:

Spot on

I'd be really interested to read the rationale behind this opinion.

10Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 07:02

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

largehat wrote:
Mr Magoo wrote:

Spot on

Same here, especially as I know people who have been laid off, due to companies downsizing, and they are trying their hardest to find new employment - why should they be penalised?

11Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 19:36

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

largehat wrote:
Mr Magoo wrote:

Spot on

Obviously exaggerated to make a point.

We give so much for nothing; we take nothing in return and expect little.

The right to vote could be based on that you've earned it, you give or have given. So those who haven't worked forever, I'm sorry, work for it.

Hope that clarifies

12Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 21:11

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Lyric Todkill wrote:
largehat wrote:
Mr Magoo wrote:

Spot on

Obviously exaggerated to make a point.

We give so much for nothing; we take nothing in return and expect little.

The right to vote could be based on that you've earned it, you give or have given. So those who haven't worked forever, I'm sorry, work for it.

Hope that clarifies

Thanks for clarifying. I just believe in democracy. When it comes to the right to vote we should all be equal.

13Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 21:17

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

largehat wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I just believe in democracy. When it comes to the right to vote we should all be equal.

But we're not all equal.

14Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 21:18

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

I believe for what it is worth that an ability to understand English would be a requirement to have the right to vote.

It currently is not and there are no plans to change that.

15Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 21:23

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

But we're not all equal.

I didn't say we were all equal.

16Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Empty Re: Should The Voting Age Be Increased? Tue Apr 10 2012, 22:07

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I am

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum