Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A decade later...

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A decade later... Empty A decade later... Mon Apr 28 2014, 11:13

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is the final table in the Barclays Premier League from the 2004-2005 season. Will we ever scale those heady heights again? It's only nine years ago but it seems like a lot longer.

Final Table [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]    
  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 
1[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]382981721514503561531379+5795
2[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]38258587361351541912343317+5183
3[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]382211558261261311210542714+3277
4[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]38187134546122524156582131-161
5[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]381771452411243311553112126+1158
6[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]38161012494495525187572426+558

2A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Mon Apr 28 2014, 13:09

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

That table should be framed for posterity!

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

3A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Mon Apr 28 2014, 13:11

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

heady days indeed! Even if we did get back to the Premiership it is impossible for teams like us to finish in the top 6 these days without a rich benefactor.

It does seem like a lifetime ago already!

4A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Mon Apr 28 2014, 13:24

Reebok Trotter wrote:This is the final table in the Barclays Premier League from the 2004-2005 season. Will we ever scale those heady heights again? It's only nine years ago but it seems like a lot longer.

I bet there's a few Utd fans asking the same question......

5A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Mon Apr 28 2014, 21:25

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

No .....

Even if we get back in the Prem other clubs who were at our level or below have left us way behind .... Southampton, Stoke, Swansea for example.....even traditional other bottom half teams like West Ham, Villa........ all have more ambition than us.  Or least it seems that way.

It's hard for me to fathom a Top ten finish in the Prem with Eddie, Phil & Doog at the helm.  Although it's nice to dream.

6A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Mon Apr 28 2014, 22:36

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What is really interesting is that Man City under the managership of Kevin Keegan finished eigth. They had just completed their third consecutive season in the top flight.

It just goes to show that without a massive influx of investment most clubs are on a sticky wicket right from the off.

7A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Tue Apr 29 2014, 15:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:
It just goes to show that without a massive influx of investment most clubs are on a sticky wicket right from the off.

Totally agree. 
Had to laugh at your comment about "showing ambition" Terence - a lot of fans equate "throwing money at the team" to "showing ambition" - there's a huge difference between the two concepts. For me, throwing money at the team is more about "showing how desperate the rich bastard that owns the club is to buy success". I reckon our current ambition is financial survival. Call it unambitious, but without survival nothing else is relevant.

8A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Tue Apr 29 2014, 20:52

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

wanderlust wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

Totally agree. 
Had to laugh at your comment about "showing ambition" Terence - a lot of fans equate "throwing money at the team" to "showing ambition" - there's a huge difference between the two concepts. For me, throwing money at the team is more about "showing how desperate the rich bastard that owns the club is to buy success". I reckon our current ambition is financial survival. Call it unambitious, but without survival nothing else is relevant.

I think the whole lack of ambition thing has been beaten to death ...going back to Big Sam etc......   I'm not talking about throwing countless millions at it .....
Leicester, Swansea & Southampton combined together have spent far less than City spends in one summer. But nobody can accuse those clubs of not having some gumption and ambition.  Just IMO.

9A decade later... Empty Re: A decade later... Wed Apr 30 2014, 09:46

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:

Totally agree. 

I think the whole lack of ambition thing has been beaten to death ...going back to Big Sam etc......   I'm not talking about throwing countless millions at it .....
Leicester, Swansea & Southampton combined together have spent far less than City spends in one summer. But nobody can accuse those clubs of not having some gumption and ambition.  Just IMO.
Fair enough although those clubs have spent an insane amount compared to most and none of them have reached the heights we did.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum