Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's the point of Craig Davies?

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just don't get why he hasn't been sold yet.
Sure we've only got him, Beckford, Wilko and the kids but Dougie has made it clear that he'd like to play with a 2 striker system but doesn't trust Cavies to do that job.
So if Dougie won't use him, the fact they we haven't bought other strikers is irrelevant - why haven't we sold him if he's not good enough to play?

Because the fact we haven't brought in another striker isn't irrelevant. If Beckford gets injured which he often does he'll need to play. Especially if we don't get any of our targets in and if (as Dougie says) he'd like to play with 2 up front.

I think everybody's reading too much into the Vitesse game, it was a pre season game it's not guaranteed to be a blueprint for the season.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Because the fact we haven't brought in another striker isn't irrelevant. If Beckford gets injured which he often does he'll need to play. Especially if we don't get any of our targets in and if (as Dougie says) he'd like to play with 2 up front.

I think everybody's reading too much into the Vitesse game, it was a pre season game it's not guaranteed to be a blueprint for the season.
It's nothing to do with the Vitesse game 74. The point is Dougie won't play him and has said so (indirectly) in the media. Specifically he said that he has set the team up to play with 2 strikers - and that's the way he wants to play this season.
However he won't play with 2 strikers if one of them is Cavies - hence the search for signings/loanees. 
Are suggesting is that Cavies only purpose is as back up for Beckford (but not worthy of a starting position in his own right)?

That's my point, he's being kept around as back up, until suitable replacements come in. Why leave ourselves with one senior striker? There's clearly no clamouring to sign him from other clubs.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:I just don't get why he hasn't been sold yet.
Sure we've only got him, Beckford, Wilko and the kids but Dougie has made it clear that he'd like to play with a 2 striker system but doesn't trust Cavies to do that job.
So if Dougie won't use him, the fact they we haven't bought other strikers is irrelevant - why haven't we sold him if he's not good enough to play?

The point of Craig Davies is he's a decent player - not brilliant - who, in my opinion, has never been given a proper chance.

One thing you get with Craig Davies is a bit of effort and a striker who puts himself about a bit. He should get a run of games to prove himself. But he won't.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

it's obvious after last season falling out and Cavies going on loan that he won't get a look in now.
Cavies and Beckford could actually make a good partnership as Cavies is good in the air and would help take the pressure of Beckford but it will never happen.

If Dougie was serious about playing with 2 upfront he would play them together whether he had any back up or not. If one gets injured use Wilkinson or Iliev in the short term or go back to his favoured one upfront.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Natasha Whittam wrote:

The point of Craig Davies is he's a decent player - not brilliant - who, in my opinion, has never been given a proper chance.

One thing you get with Craig Davies is a bit of effort and a striker who puts himself about a bit. He should get a run of games to prove himself. But he won't.

Correct you are .....  even the BEN doesn't mention his name in articles about strikers.  He probably tried to shag doogie's wife and fell out of favor.  Have Cdavies & Beckford ever actually played a league game together?  I can't remember off the top of my head. Either way a striker we paid money for will be replaced by a loanee or freebee with less investment in our club.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

IMO Craig Davies has had plenty of chance and he was even crap last season at Preston. No way is he good enough for the Championship. Couldn't have an impact in L1 FFS. Love his effort, attitude and honest endeavour but he's a carthorse and the game just passes him by far too much. He puts himself about but unfortunately the ball is usually long gone by the time he gets there. His saving grace is that he can shoot but he just doesn't get the opportunities and hasn't got the legs to get into the right place at the right time.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
IMO Craig Davies has had plenty of chance and he was even crap last season at Preston. No way is he good enough for the Championship. Couldn't have an impact in L1 FFS.

How many times has Craig Davies started three games running for Dougie?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
IMO Craig Davies has had plenty of chance and he was even crap last season at Preston. No way is he good enough for the Championship. Couldn't have an impact in L1 FFS.

How many times has Craig Davies started three games running for Dougie?
That's the point - he isn't good enough to earn a starting spot.

I suppose that by not playing he retains his "mystique" with some fans.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:

But that's the whole point of not being given a chance - he might be absolute crap but you don't know until you give him a chance. He scored goals at this level for Barnsley so we know he can do it.

I don't see the point of paying £300k for a player and then not giving him a proper run in the team. You admit he puts a shift in - that's half the problem with these fuckwits, most are lazy twats.

I'd rather see a player give 100% and be shit than a lazy bastard like Beckford giving little and being shit.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

But that's the whole point of not being given a chance - he might be absolute crap but you don't know until you give him a chance. He scored goals at this level for Barnsley so we know he can do it.

I don't see the point of paying £300k for a player and then not giving him a proper run in the team. You admit he puts a shift in - that's half the problem with these fuckwits, most are lazy twats.

I'd rather see a player give 100% and be shit than a lazy bastard like Beckford giving little and being shit.
I'd have thought that as you live in Preston you would have heard the views of the average punter vis-a-vis Cavies. He played for them 15 times last season although he did get a better return than his 4 goals in 26 games for us. Prolific he isn't.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
I'd have thought that as you live in Preston you would have heard the views of the average punter vis-a-vis Cavies. He played for them 15 times last season although he did get a better return than his 4 goals in 26 games for us. Prolific he isn't.

Yes, because players automatically have the same scoring record at each club they play for  :facepalm: 

Juke anyone?

I thought it was pretty well established that the issue with Cravies was his attitude and fitness rather than ability itself.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:

Yes, because players automatically have the same scoring record at each club they play for  :facepalm: 

Juke anyone?
Not sure what you're trying to say there. Maybe I should type more slowly for you?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Doesn't matter who you stick up front when you've got Feens11 whipping in crosses. 

Just wait.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I'm not saying he's great or anything but scoring goals with Barnsley proves he can score at this level.  Problem here is Doog has just thrown him on as the lone striker as far as I can remember in a system that goes backwards and sideways. I would suggest Van Persie couldn't score for us with the current service for the strikers.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:I'm not saying he's great or anything but scoring goals with Barnsley proves he can score at this level.  Problem here is Doog has just thrown him on as the lone striker as far as I can remember in a system that goes backwards and sideways. I would suggest Van Persie couldn't score for us with the current service for the strikers.
So Dougie says we need to attack more and wants to play 2 strikers which would be a different scenario - but doesn't trust Cavies to play the role.

Right or wrong it still leaves Cavies out in the cold. So why are we keeping him?

i just get the feeling that if we don't sign another striker and then Beckford breaks both legs and is put out of his misery with a headshot from the North Stand Upper, Cavies still wouldn't get a start.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum