Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Modern Music Shite?

+11
karlypants
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
bwfc71
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
Norpig
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
Soul Kitchen
Natasha Whittam
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

61Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 18:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:I like Spotify. Log in find your music and play it.

Soundcloud is better. Give it a try
Cheers Boggers. Will give it a look.

62Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 18:23

Grooveshark is spotify but free, if I was going to pay for anything for music though I'd use Google
Play all access, the selection is massive.

63Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 18:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Got google play but just use it on my Chromebook. I agree it's pretty good.

64Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 18:33

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Currently got Now17 playing in the car- far better music than most of today's shite.

65Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 18:35

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc71 wrote:Currently got Now17 playing in the car- far better music than most of today's shite.

Paula Abdul, Beats International? Good stuff.

66Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 18:36

Does anybody still record the top forty off the radio with a tape recorder?

67Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 19:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The more modern the mixes in Psytrance & Progressive Goa, the more they sound like broken lift music  although Darkpsy is erring more towards a dodgy Coal Chamber album on sulphate these days I find. Remixes also increasingly lack gonads and that goes back further than the Neowave retrospectives. Whatever happened to the dawn of Eat Static from the ruins of Osric Tentacles is preoccupying me more than it should for a man of my age, but as in all things we live in hope. Well, most things.
Perhaps I should stick to Alison Krauss and Bebop?

68Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 19:30

Did you used to write for Sounds by any chance?

Just before it went bust.......?  Very Happy

69Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 19:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Had a look at that Soundcloud. Not bad. Found  great George Formby mix called 'When I'm licking windows'. By DJreach. It be a real baaaaad piece uh beat. Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Smiley

70Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 20:11

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc71 wrote:Currently got Now17 playing in the car- far better music than most of today's shite.

Paula Abdul, Beats International? Good stuff.

I didn't say all of them, but...

UB40 : "Kingston Town"
Tina Turner : "I Don't Wanna Lose You"
Phil Collins : "I Wish It Would Rain Down"
Happy Mondays : "Step On"
Primal Scream : "Loaded"
Depeche Mode : "Enjoy the Silence"
Inspiral Carpets : "This Is How It Feels"
Adamski featuring Seal : "Killer"

Whilst from tomorrow its Now 18, in the car, with...

The Beautiful South : "A Little Time"
Steve Miller Band : "The Joker"
Elton John : "Sacrifice"
Roxette : "It Must Have Been Love"
Phil Collins : "Something Happened on the Way to Heaven"
Wilson Phillips : "Hold On"
Sinéad O'Connor : "Nothing Compares 2 U"
The Righteous Brothers : "Unchained Melody"
INXS : "Suicide Blonde"
The La's : "There She Goes"
Tina Turner : "Be Tender With Me Baby"
Robert Palmer & UB40 : "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"
DNA featuring Suzanne Vega : "Tom's Diner"
Sting : "Englishman in New York"
The Cure : "Close to Me"
Kylie Minogue : "Step Back in Time"

71Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 20:42

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm sorted for tomorrow.
Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Mzi.cersasjn.170x170-75

72Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Sun Aug 17 2014, 21:13

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Most of the music I loved was from the '80s to be honest. At the end of that decade I lost a lot of interest especially when "House" and "Acid House" became so popular. 

During the 90's I liked Blur and Nirvana a lot along with REM and Savage Garden but most of the rest kinda left me cold. 

Into the 2000's and suddenly you've got junk like Atomic Kitten doing woeful covers of old Blondie songs, Pop Idol and X-Factor garbage and rap changed from being a genuine means of social commentary into a never ending brag fest about cars money and sex. 

There are still some decent bands out there from all sorts of different genres but to be frank I really can't be bothered to go looking for them all that hard. I let my teenage kids do that. I think it says a lot that my oldest son who's 18 spends most of his time listening to Kerrang radio and has half inched most of my meatloaf, iron maiden, ac/dc and Guns 'n roses albums and copied them onto his gadgets. i thought maybe he was on his own but a lot of his mates are the same, they listen to as much of my generation's music as they do current stuff if not more and when I asked him about it he said he's not interested in most of the mainstream stuff that comes out now and finds all the various different charts are filled with crap. His girlfriend is the same, she keeps nicking all my old Human league, Ultravox and Madness albums. 

I think the age of the internet and the sheer proliferation of there being about twenty different charts or more out there has led to an awful lot of junk being released and made it much harder to find the stuff that's really worthwhile.

73Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 01:07

As far as homages to Old Skool Rap go, you can't go far wrong with this one.

These boys really feel it and respect the oeuvre........you can just tell.

74Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 10:09

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Did you used to write for Sounds by any chance?

Just before it went bust.......?  Very Happy
Only in the in the 70s when I was working with the Ralph Records posse on the West Coast, handling distribution for Chrome, MX80 sound and the Residents and setting up the UK tours for Snakefinger and RR.
Who is the culprit and who is the victim indeed.

75Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 10:51

Hip hop's pretty shit now, but there are still some good artists out there. Any Doom fans?

Love some of the songs he samples, like taking the hook from Sade Kiss of life - 

He's got a massive amount of songs, and lots of remixes/instrumentals.

76Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 11:32

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I recently bought his first album, Operation Doomsday, for £30 on CD. Absolute bargain for the 1st press on Fondle Em Records.

77Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 11:39

Ye it's probably my favourite LP of his, I want it on vinyl but it doesn't come cheap.

Don't know if its something that interests you but here's a mix of some of the samples he used, everything from Steely Dan to Isaac Hayes some really good tracks in there

http://www.mixcloud.com/boombapbeatnik/mf-doom-operation-doomsday-samples-mix/.

78Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 12:07

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Cheers. I'm always interested in where samples come from. Amazing how many times I'll hear an old tune on the radio that has since become a hip-hop classic.

79Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 13:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Cheers. I'm always interested in where samples come from. Amazing how many times I'll hear an old tune on the radio that has since become a hip-hop classic.
I find it slightly irritating as I can't help but think back to the original. Especially annoying when it's a pop song whose only interesting aspect is the riff they've sampled.
In the early days of sampling PRS were all over it like a cheap suit and technos wouldn't dare take too much, but nowadays people are sampling whole sections of songs and then padding it out instead of writing something new which is pretty shameless and it's been going on for years - look at Eminem basically rapping over the top of Dido's song - he doesn't bring anything to it apart from his name which threw her into the spotlight - power begets power.

80Is Modern Music Shite? - Page 4 Empty Re: Is Modern Music Shite? Mon Aug 18 2014, 13:33

Sampling is an art form, I don't mean taking one song but when you take loads of little bits of songs and create something new it's brilliant. Any of Tribe called quests stuff for instance or J Dilla or MF Doom. It takes a hell of a lot of talent to create like that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum