Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman calls for fans to back team

+4
aaron_bwfc
Norpig
Vendor
karlypants
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman is quite prepared to play ‘the bad guy’ and bear the brunt of criticism for Wanderers’ poor start – but he has asked the boo-boys to lay-off his players.

Frustration is building after four winless games at the start of the Championship season and many fans are holding the manager accountable for his side’s failures on the pitch.

The likes of Jermaine Beckford and Liam Trotter have come in for stick at times on the terraces too – prompting Freedman to send out a message ahead of today’s clash with Leeds United.

“Being the kind of striker that I was, people would boo me one week and cheer me the next,” he said. “I learned to have a thick skin and cope with it.

“But I’m not okay with unfair criticism, people saying things just for the sake of it, or getting on the back of players.

“If younger players see that, they think ‘that could be me’ and it doesn’t do them any good at all.”

Today’s game could be a defining one for Freedman, who will desperately want to avoid going into the international break with his side still in the bottom three.

Victory at Elland Road should give the Scot some breathing space and a chance to ease a growing injury list.

Mark Davies, Dean Moxey and Kevin McNaughton were ruled out by the Whites boss yesterday, alongside Trotter, whose hamstring injury is worse than first feared and will now mean he misses at least two months of action.

Freedman spoke to The Bolton News exclusively on Friday to try and answer some of the growing concerns readers have about the direction the club is heading.

“I’m not saying I enjoy the situation we’re in,” he said. “I don’t want to be asked the questions you’re asking me each week about whether I’ll still be here – but you’ve got a job to do.

“And the fans are entitled to their say because they pay money into the football club. But if you sit back and have a little look at the big picture, 10-15 years in the Premier League and the money spent on huge, huge wages, and they are still getting paid. So it’s very difficult for me to wheel and deal.

“I do think I have got an eye for a player and if you look at the loan players who’ve worn a Bolton shirt in the last couple of years, there are quite a few now playing in the Premier League.

“When you’re the manager, that’s the way it goes. I’ve been in football a long, long time. I took charge of a football club at 35 and I have experienced a lot of flak and learned to understand the frustrations.

“But what you won’t see here is anyone giving up or throwing in the towel.

“This place will be run professionally, on the pitch, on the training ground, and that will never change while I am here.

“The players are giving it all they have got, so I can’t do anything more.

“This is hard on everyone and sometimes you don’t get the rewards of working as hard as the staff are at the moment. But we can’t do any more."

Source

Vendor

Vendor
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Dougie seems to think that hard work wins football matches. It does help, but its down to good tactics, skill and an ability to put the ball in the net as well. Surely he knows this! 

He also seems to think that the players are giving it their all. God help us if the likes of Beckford and Trotter start playing at 50%, as they contribute sod all as it is.

I hope one day he looks back and reads the utter claptrap he has spouted since joining the club it might help him to keep his mouth shut in future.

Lets hope for a win today, it may unfortunately extend Dougie's tenure but I can't see Garside changing anything until the end of his contract anyway. As fans we need something to cheer us up!

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

how about giving us something to actually excite us and not just park the bus for 90 minutes Dougie, that may help

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Right now I don't think you can really say the fans are not backing the team - just look at how many we took to Crewe, they are just against the style of play that dougie is producing IMO.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

"have a little look at the big picture, 10-15 years in the Premier League and the money spent on huge, huge wages, and they are still getting paid"

So we're still paying ex-players?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

This just smacks of desperation!!!!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bryan458 wrote:This just smacks of desperation!!!!
No - this just smacks of the real story starting to come out and a certain group of fans starting to feel somewhat embarrassed having judged the manager too quickly and on very little evidence.

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

YAWN!!!!!!!

Sorry mate, but that's bollocks.

The "real story" is there for all to see, on the pitch, every Saturday.

As I've said on another thread, any one of us on here could achieve what Freedman's currently getting out of the team.

P3 W0 D1 L2

That is a poor return for a professional football manager.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A manager is employed to get results on the pitch within the budget he is set.

Freedman is currently failing big time.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Sorry mate, but that's bollocks.

The "real story" is there for all to see, on the pitch, every Saturday.

As I've said on another thread, any one of us on here could achieve what Freedman's currently getting out of the team.

P3 W0 D1 L2

That is a poor return for a professional football manager.
P4 W0 D1 L3 isn't much better but at least we created a bunch of chances today which is a refreshing change.

...and that's just how low we've sunk.

The only positive we can take is the fact that we finally created a few chances.

But still didn't convert any of them.

We are a dreadful side, who lost today against a very poor Leeds team.

The writing is well and truly on the wall.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't believe even Dougie is stupid enough to try and claim a morale victory just because we had more possession and more shots.

Leeds were one place above us with no manager. We lost to them. Dougie must go.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman calls for fans to back team Gpw-201001-UnitedStatesAirForce-100122-F-1644L-205-graffiti-on-wall-hands-eye-tears-we-need-help-Port-au-Prince-Haiti-20100122

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum